Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Cayenne Turbo GT versus Macan GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 08:20 PM
retom
Racer

Received 275 Likes on 169 Posts

We must remember that the Macan is based on the first generation of Audi Q5. Additionally, its software is quite old and cannot be upgraded. For this reason, Macan ICE was finally withdrawn from the EU market. It will be available on other markets for 2 years, so Macan's days are counted. Cayenne is generationally different. In its current form, the Cayenne ICE will remain in production until 2030.
Old 04-21-2024, 08:37 PM
Botox
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Cayenne turbo GT has carbon fiber roof, and the steering is GT level with superb suspension. It currently has the fastest Ring time for any SUV, amazing that a 5000 lb vehicle can handle and perform like it does. 650plus hp is tuned great as well with titanium exhaust. It is one of my favorite Porsche purchases I've made.
The following users liked this post:
Craig (04-22-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 08:57 PM
user1029
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowball
My Macan PP is without the sunroof so some highs weight saved.

the other advantage of the Macan versus the Cayenne is it’s easier visually or more confidence inspiring to place the car. But the quality of the Cayenne GT comes through for sure.

I’ll keep my Macan PP but want another distance car. CGT or Panamera sport back GTS? or … Mercedes wagon e63. Hmmm. But I’m a big fan of that cayenne.

one thing I think about is those Corsa low profile tires… on rougher road surfaces and also when colder temperatures… is that what people run?
The front Corsa tires on the 2024 TGT are 40 profile. They are extremely comfortable
Old 04-22-2024, 06:34 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,853 Likes on 1,728 Posts

Just put 400 hwy mi over the weekend on the Turbo PP. After two and a half years, I still love this thing.
My motivators to part with it (not very strong) are age, clunky PDK at low speeds, and underwhelming brakes.
Had my SA not planted the TGT seed in my head, I wouldn't be looking.
The only car that bests my Macan in the "small and nimble" category is the Dakar, and that's not an option.
If the TGT was smaller and lighter, there would be no debate.
Still on the fence and I think I just need to drive one.
I do not want 2 SUVs. This is my daily and I have three 911s. If I buy the TGT, the Macan has to go.

Thanks @Bowball for starting this convo and to everyone else for your input.
Old 04-22-2024, 06:51 PM
GT3ZZZ
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm currently in a Cayenne TGT as my daily. Recent DD's have been Cayennes (Turbo and Turbo S E-hybrid) and Macans (Turbo PP and Turbo)

The TGT is in a different league to any of the others. Whilst the power and torque are way ahead, it's the chassis that is the real differentiator, its like a high riding GT3. None of the others comes anywhere close.

P.S. the brakes are fantastic, huge CCB's as standard

Last edited by GT3ZZZ; 04-22-2024 at 07:03 PM.
Wilder (04-22-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 06:59 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 571 Posts

I had a chance to compare Macan GTS to a pedestrian Cayenne Turbo, not even GT, albeit with all performance options, and the Cayenne was better and sportier in my view. The only things going for Macan were a faster-shifting gearbox and smaller size. Steering feel, brakes, even ability to precisely place the car on the edge of traction were better in the cayenne. Macan is noticeably less comfortable, which is often viewed as sportiness. Some prefer a lack of refinement, and it's a completely valid preference, but it's unnecessary for performance or precision. Cayenne does have a slower gearbox, but Macan has a noticeably laggier engine, so it's a wash. Or you can downshift in advance of accelerating, negating gearbox slowness, while you cannot build boost before accelerating, so lag is harder to work around.

Not to downplay Macan - it's a great vehicle. Cayenne just sets a very high bar.
The following 2 users liked this post by MaxLTV:
GT3ZZZ (04-22-2024), Wilder (04-22-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 07:56 PM
Bowball
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I had a chance to compare Macan GTS to a pedestrian Cayenne Turbo, not even GT, albeit with all performance options, and the Cayenne was better and sportier in my view. The only things going for Macan were a faster-shifting gearbox and smaller size. Steering feel, brakes, even ability to precisely place the car on the edge of traction were better in the cayenne. Macan is noticeably less comfortable, which is often viewed as sportiness. Some prefer a lack of refinement, and it's a completely valid preference, but it's unnecessary for performance or precision. Cayenne does have a slower gearbox, but Macan has a noticeably laggier engine, so it's a wash. Or you can downshift in advance of accelerating, negating gearbox slowness, while you cannot build boost before accelerating, so lag is harder to work around.

Not to downplay Macan - it's a great vehicle. Cayenne just sets a very high bar.
I disagree. 10” wider and 800lbs heavier means the Cayenne is not going to be placed as easily. Not sure the comfort part with both have 18 ways. Since you are from SF, charging from the Pantol down - or up- to Stinson, the Macan would easily handle a GT, at least from my impression driving one a few days ago. Just too much mass to deal with in those downhill corners, too much wider to place as easily, and not long enough straights to allow the power of the v8 to open a gap. On other roads other purposes I can see it being a different outcome. I just drove those roads three hours yesterday in a stripped Carrera T with carbon buckets and being a narrow 991.2 I think it would easily outpace a 991 or 992 turbo on those roads for the same reason plus the immediacy and predictability do the smaller turbos spooling up.

but for the longer less technical curvy roads, then I can see the GT being awesome which is why I am considering one. It’s really hard to overcome weight when braking and cornering. I do agree that the GT feels more solid and has a really luxurious feel. I’m smitten.

Last edited by Bowball; 04-22-2024 at 07:58 PM.
Wilder (04-22-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 08:11 PM
Bowball
Instructor

Originally Posted by GT3ZZZ
I'm currently in a Cayenne TGT as my daily. Recent DD's have been Cayennes (Turbo and Turbo S E-hybrid) and Macans (Turbo PP and Turbo)

The TGT is in a different league to any of the others. Whilst the power and torque are way ahead, it's the chassis that is the real differentiator, its like a high riding GT3. None of the others comes anywhere close.

P.S. the brakes are fantastic, huge CCB's as standard
it’s 2,000 lbs or 60% heavier than a GT3. I think I understand directionally what you are saying but I have the same reaction when someone says the macan is close to a 911 - no it’s not even minutely close. Maybe they are trying to say for a 4,000 or 5,000 lb suv that has a hugely high center of gravity it handles well.

I want to drive a Mercedes e63 wagon before I make the final GT or Mercedes final decision. I’ve convinced myself on the canyon roads I drive the Macan would be more capable but as the roads open up the GT would be the better platform. I can see why it would be a great all arounder especially if one needs more space. I’m leaning towards getting one. I also want to drive a Panamera but I probably want the ground clearance and smaller size and storage of the GT. Plus the GT looks so good and the quality felt so good. I agree it feels better put together as well. So much to love. . But I am presuming that the Panamera is a better handling car too just because of its lesser weight and lower center of gravity but not nearly as versatile. I’ll retire the Macan to a city car.

Last edited by Bowball; 04-22-2024 at 08:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bowball:
justabout (04-23-2024), Wilder (04-22-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 10:40 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 194 Posts

I disagree. 10” wider and 800lbs heavier means the Cayenne is not going to be placed as easily. Not sure the comfort part with both have 18 ways. Since you are from SF, charging from the Pantol down - or up- to Stinson, the Macan would easily handle a GT, at least from my impression driving one a few days ago.
I’ve convinced myself on the canyon roads I drive the Macan would be more capable but as the roads open up the GT would be the better platform.
That's the answer right there! YOU convinced YOURSELF. It's funny the lies we tell ourselves. Seriously, Macan is no match for the TGT. Much fatter tires, PDCC and RAS, none of which are available on a Macan, will more than make up the little difference in weight.
Old 04-22-2024, 11:34 PM
Bowball
Instructor

Originally Posted by ranger22
That's the answer right there! YOU convinced YOURSELF. It's funny the lies we tell ourselves. Seriously, Macan is no match for the TGT. Much fatter tires, PDCC and RAS, none of which are available on a Macan, will more than make up the little difference in weight.
Sure, you’re right. I’m just lying to myself. Even after driving both . That I qualified my answer to a specific track section thst I know well, with very tight corners, wasn’t agreeable obviously. I’m not the best driver or the most qualified, but I often rely on my judgment - lie to myself?

time for me to move on…and I was told I could get a slot from the dealer so decisions ahead. Thanks everyone for their input. It’s a great car.

Last edited by Bowball; 04-22-2024 at 11:56 PM.
Old 04-23-2024, 12:40 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 571 Posts

I disagree. 10” wider and 800lbs heavier means the Cayenne is not going to be placed as easily. Not sure the comfort part with both have 18 ways. Since you are from SF, charging from the Pantol down - or up- to Stinson, the Macan would easily handle a GT, at least from my impression driving one a few days ago. Just too much mass to deal with in those downhill corners, too much wider to place as easily, and not long enough straights to allow the power of the v8 to open a gap. On other roads other purposes I can see it being a different outcome. I just drove those roads three hours yesterday in a stripped Carrera T with carbon buckets and being a narrow 991.2 I think it would easily outpace a 991 or 992 turbo on those roads for the same reason plus the immediacy and predictability do the smaller turbos spooling up.

but for the longer less technical curvy roads, then I can see the GT being awesome which is why I am considering one. It’s really hard to overcome weight when braking and cornering. I do agree that the GT feels more solid and has a really luxurious feel. I’m smitten.
I think you just like Macan more . Objectively, the above is not quite accurate. The much better suspension in Cayenne more than compensates for the weight difference. Macan skips and bounces more with tires not maintaining contact patches as well, and has way more weight transfer in corners (no PDCC on it, right?), so it takes longer to take set. And I can feel it quite well - e.g., I just set up suspension and aero on a new prototype race car to a competitive pace by feel, and I can tell the pressure and the temperature of tires in my race cars just by driving them.
But none of that matters, and YOU ARE RIGHT - if you prefer the handling of Macan more, it's indeed the better car because its main job is to make you happy. So get what your heart tells you and have no regrets because it will be the better option for you.

Last edited by MaxLTV; 04-23-2024 at 12:41 AM.
Old 04-23-2024, 01:04 AM
Bowball
Instructor

Not much room in those comments for a discussion.
I’ll let everyone know if I place the order. Still need to drive that AMG wagon first.

Last edited by Bowball; 04-23-2024 at 01:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Turbo GT versus Macan GTS?