Notices

How to remove stubborn road debris?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 03:12 PM
F451
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How to remove stubborn road debris?

Hey guys,

Does anyone have any advise for removing stubborn black road tar & debris from the underside of my '88 928 S4?

The single stage indischrot red paint has 32 years of abuse showing, particularly on the underside. I can't get these black stains off the paint. I assumed bug and tar remover would do the trick and get the majority of it off, but it barely put a dent in it. I applied it with a microfiber towel, let it soak for a minute or two, then gently rubbed it, re-applied a number of times. Followed that up with car wash soap and a good rinse to remove the chemicals. That process managed to get some of it off, but as you can see, the stains are still there.

It feels like its on top of the paint, and not actually in the paint if that makes sense. I can feel the texture when I run my fingers over it with thin latex gloves on.

I don't want to get too aggressive so I'm not sure what to try next. I'm assuming a clay bar won't do it, but may give that a try this morning just for the hell of it.

Any tips or advice on how to deal with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. -Ed

Last edited by F451; 12-19-2020 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-21-2020, 07:45 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Initially I would try Clay Bar as it is designed to remove surface contaminants. If that fails your next step would be a mild polish like Meguiars 205 and a finishing pad. Polishing will remove some of the paint but it will also remove embedded contaminants. Be careful around the edges of the plastic as the paint is usually much thinner and you can wear through easily .
Old 12-21-2020, 09:39 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Have you tried a degreaser? I like P21S Total Auto Wash. It is clear coat safe but check to make sure it is safe for your single stage paint if you decide to go this route.
Old 12-22-2020, 01:09 PM
F451
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Initially I would try Clay Bar as it is designed to remove surface contaminants. If that fails your next step would be a mild polish like Meguiars 205 and a finishing pad. Polishing will remove some of the paint but it will also remove embedded contaminants. Be careful around the edges of the plastic as the paint is usually much thinner and you can wear through easily .
Thanks, I think you're correct. I'm planning on polishing the entire car soon, so will see about using a more aggressive polish on those lower areas. If I can't remove it with the polish, I'll just leave it for now. I really don't want to remove any more of the paint then I have to. If I can get it "less obvious to see", I will be happy with that for now.
Old 12-22-2020, 01:15 PM
F451
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
Have you tried a degreaser? I like P21S Total Auto Wash. It is clear coat safe but check to make sure it is safe for your single stage paint if you decide to go this route.
Yes, thanks. I've tried all the usual cleaners. Started with a good wash, then Simple Green, then degreasers. Then moved on to what I thought was pretty aggressive with the bug & tar remover. All those efforts just removed the bulk of it that was obviously raised on the paint.

Fortunately, so far, those efforts do not seem to be removing much paint, not seeing any substantial paint coming off on the microfiber towels. Next up is polishing like Marine Blue suggested. But as I mentioned, if I can't remove it with light polishing, I will just live with it until I can get a professional to deal with it.
Old 12-22-2020, 02:21 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

If the contaminants are sitting on top of the paint, careful work with a clay bar may give you good results.
The following users liked this post:
F451 (12-23-2020)

Quick Reply: How to remove stubborn road debris?