Notices

Helllllllllllllllppppp!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 10:12 PM
PorscheReen
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Helllllllllllllllppppp!

I got my Porsche a month ago. I was trying to back out of a friend's circular driveway and I scratched her lightpost. I wasn't drinking, I swear.. Didn't even get the beep like I was supposed to. But anyhow, I have a huge scratch. Anyone have any idea how much this will set me back. I plan on going to the dealer. Is that a good idea?

Last edited by PorscheReen; 06-13-2021 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-13-2021, 10:22 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

take it to a detailer. Looks like that is just paint transfer from the light pole. You could use a light polishing compound, if you are not familiar, then find a good detailer in your area.

The following 4 users liked this post by Todd B:
Last_935 (06-14-2021), Marine Blue (06-16-2021), PorscheReen (06-13-2021), xelu01 (06-15-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 03:40 PM
tmarino
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B
take it to a detailer. Looks like that is just paint transfer from the light pole. You could use a light polishing compound, if you are not familiar, then find a good detailer in your area.
Agreed...........worth a shot before going the body work routine,. Once they clean and buff, you may only have a slight scratch or so. Just went through the exact scenario on my son's black vehicle and it came out pretty good.
Good Luck,
Old 06-14-2021, 03:54 PM
PorscheReen
5th Gear

Originally Posted by tmarino
Agreed...........worth a shot before going the body work routine,. Once they clean and buff, you may only have a slight scratch or so. Just went through the exact scenario on my son's black vehicle and it came out pretty good.
Good Luck,
Can you tell me a ballpark figure of the price? If you prefer, just tell me if it was overwhelming or reasonable. Thank you!!
Old 06-14-2021, 03:54 PM
DDzPorsche
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

That should, as they say, "buff right out". Don't forget to apply some wax once complete.

Try it your self first using the polishing compound, or scratch remover, if it doesn't work then take it to a detailer. All you risk is a small sum for the compound.

Good luck
Old 06-14-2021, 03:55 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

I'm sorry this happened. Definitely would take it to a detailer first. If you happen to be in Georgia I'm happy to look at it and we can see if machine compounding would effectively resolve it. Not a pro detailer, not looking to charge. Just happy to help if you're close by.
Old 06-14-2021, 04:31 PM
PorscheReen
5th Gear

Angry Chip

Originally Posted by DDzPorsche
That should, as they say, "buff right out". Don't forget to apply some wax once complete.

Try it your self first using the polishing compound, or scratch remover, if it doesn't work then take it to a detailer. All you risk is a small sum for the compound.

Good luck
You cant tell but the circular looking scratch on the bottom left is not a scratch but a chip.
Old 06-14-2021, 04:31 PM
PorscheReen
5th Gear

Thank you! Nope, not near Georgia but thank you very much.
Old 06-14-2021, 05:15 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,972 Likes on 2,049 Posts

If you can feel it with your fingernail, it's going to need touchup paint or a repaint.

They could spot repair it for probably a couple hundred dollars. Otherwise, expect $500-1k for a front bumper repaint.
Old 06-14-2021, 05:27 PM
PorscheReen
5th Gear

Thank you
Old 06-16-2021, 09:23 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I would start by going to your local auto store and picking up some Meguiars Scratch X and a microfiber applicator. Apply it on the scratches to see if it’s paint transfer or a scratch. Paint transfer will come right off and you might have some light surface scratches left behind. If the surface scratches aren’t too deep they can be buffed out.

As noted by others, if you can feel the scratches with your fingernail then you will need to get it touched up. Dealers have guys that come in weekly to perform repairs on bumpers for stuff like this all the time. You might ask they who they use and have them repair it for you. I would think cost is less than a few hundred dollars.
Old 06-21-2021, 06:35 AM
Junkman2008
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

If you lived near me, it wouldn't cost you anything but a steak from Texas Roadhouse. 👀
Old 10-14-2021, 05:40 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 709 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I would start by going to your local auto store and picking up some Meguiars Scratch X and a microfiber applicator. Apply it on the scratches to see if it’s paint transfer or a scratch. Paint transfer will come right off and you might have some light surface scratches left behind. If the surface scratches aren’t too deep they can be buffed out.

As noted by others, if you can feel the scratches with your fingernail then you will need to get it touched up. Dealers have guys that come in weekly to perform repairs on bumpers for stuff like this all the time. You might ask they who they use and have them repair it for you. I would think cost is less than a few hundred dollars.
+1

Quick Reply: Helllllllllllllllppppp!