Notices

What "car wash" are you currently using?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2024, 08:03 PM
SDcarguy
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
there’s a GP wash kit I helped build years ago and I refer my clients to Corey

let me see if we could set up something for the rennlist community

would you guys be interested in me doing more of this stuff? Showing you how to care for your cars and answering questions and recommending stuff we use at our shop?
For sure! I think folks here trust you waaay more than online resources. If you have product referrals, we’d also be happy to help support you for all your backing of this community.
The following users liked this post:
G8tor (01-21-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 08:20 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 709 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by SDcarguy
For sure! I think folks here trust you waaay more than online resources. If you have product referrals, we’d also be happy to help support you for all your backing of this community.
i see all the YouTube folks like you guys do and I totally get monetizing…and if the viewer just wants to try out different products and that’s enjoyable, kudos to them

I haven’t created that content because who needs another pro pushing more products; but I also feel there are those out there that just want products that work, by a professional, and it’s one less thing to worry about caring for your car

I love this forum and it’s the only place I hang my hat because I see the value I can add to the conversations and in this day and age, we all could rely on true teachers and masters of the craft 👍

If I could just get a decent media person that could enjoy the craft and put out great content and keep up with us 😆
Old 01-11-2024, 08:53 PM
SDcarguy
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i see all the YouTube folks like you guys do and I totally get monetizing…and if the viewer just wants to try out different products and that’s enjoyable, kudos to them

I haven’t created that content because who needs another pro pushing more products; but I also feel there are those out there that just want products that work, by a professional, and it’s one less thing to worry about caring for your car

I love this forum and it’s the only place I hang my hat because I see the value I can add to the conversations and in this day and age, we all could rely on true teachers and masters of the craft 👍

If I could just get a decent media person that could enjoy the craft and put out great content and keep up with us 😆
Speaking for myself, I don’t want to figure out what works and parse through whether an influencer actually likes products or is being paid to push them. If you had a package for home detailers to use between seeing a professional like you, I’d totally just buy it and use it. I suspect a lot of us just buy packages or brand groups (for example, I just buy the obsessed garage package), but would far prefer your expertise, especially since it applies to Porsches. And, hopefully, would could give back a little to you by buying through your preferred vendor.
Old 01-12-2024, 09:57 AM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 621 Likes on 401 Posts

How refreshing to have this approach. Wow. This is so true.
Old 01-12-2024, 04:38 PM
Rod27
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 157 Posts

yea glad to have your expertise......quick question....what do you recommend for polishing a fully PPF'd condo garaged car that has light dust on it? Right now im just wiping off the dust with microfiber or wiping Ultima Paint Guard Plus with microfiber. I love how slick it feels after the Ultima.
Old 01-14-2024, 10:15 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,974 Likes on 2,051 Posts

I appreciate your RL contribution more than seeing another YouTube video. Last year you gave me input on how to remove old touch up paint off my brake calipers. No other individual that I asked was able to give me info that actually worked. So appreciative of the info you gave me. I remember seeing your name on Detailing forums years ago. I still appreciate the one on one input that forums give. YouTube is great for the general washing process, but once you have that down, I think we get into more specific questions on detailing.

Thanks again Moe!
Old 01-14-2024, 01:08 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SDcarguy
Speaking for myself, I don’t want to figure out what works and parse through whether an influencer actually likes products or is being paid to push them. If you had a package for home detailers to use between seeing a professional like you, I’d totally just buy it and use it. I suspect a lot of us just buy packages or brand groups (for example, I just buy the obsessed garage package), but would far prefer your expertise, especially since it applies to Porsches. And, hopefully, would could give back a little to you by buying through your preferred vendor.
Years ago I enjoyed trying new products more than I do now. I want to try new products as it can be fun. But, on my 997 GT3 I really don't want to experiment. My posts above were mostly questioning the safety of these products. I need something that is 100% safe to use (such as with some sun), enjoyable to use (good scent is a bonus) and has been proven.

I definitely enjoy packages that can be purchased. I also appreciate input from professionals like Moe and also enthusiasts that have zero financial incentive to tell me to buy one product over another. For instance, I use Hydes serum rust stopper on my 997 GT3. If I tell you it's a good product and you buy it, I get zero for doing so. There's no financial incentive for me to recommend it. Same with CarPro Darkside, Adams Car Shampoo, etc. Because of that, I tend to trust some of the recommendations I receive on here more, because there is no bias towards one product or another. One of the reasons I like forums so much.

Originally Posted by Rod27
yea glad to have your expertise......quick question....what do you recommend for polishing a fully PPF'd condo garaged car that has light dust on it? Right now im just wiping off the dust with microfiber or wiping Ultima Paint Guard Plus with microfiber. I love how slick it feels after the Ultima.
Really depends how particular you are.
When you say polishing, I'm assuming you mean cleaning?
If so, the ideal method, even on a fully PPF'd car would be a full wash with the 2 bucket method.
If you don't have access to water and can't fully wash it, then a rinse less wash is the next best thing. McKees N914 or ONR are good choices. Not going to be quite as safe as a traditional wash, but will still get the job done.
You're doing a waterless wash, which is a microfiber with detail spray. That has the highest likelihood of causing imperfections, but as particular as I am, I don't have an issue with it on PPF. Again, it isn't recommended and isn't ideal, but the PPF does have self healing properties and ideally you'll replace the PPF between 5-10 years, so any imperfections will be in the PPF which will be removed and reinstalled.
The following users liked this post:
Rod27 (01-14-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 05:20 PM
Rod27
Pro

Originally Posted by Bxstr

Really depends how particular you are.
When you say polishing, I'm assuming you mean cleaning?
If so, the ideal method, even on a fully PPF'd car would be a full wash with the 2 bucket method.
If you don't have access to water and can't fully wash it, then a rinse less wash is the next best thing. McKees N914 or ONR are good choices. Not going to be quite as safe as a traditional wash, but will still get the job done.
You're doing a waterless wash, which is a microfiber with detail spray. That has the highest likelihood of causing imperfections, but as particular as I am, I don't have an issue with it on PPF. Again, it isn't recommended and isn't ideal, but the PPF does have self healing properties and ideally you'll replace the PPF between 5-10 years, so any imperfections will be in the PPF which will be removed and reinstalled.
yes I mean cleaning in between washes…..but just dust that accumulates while it sits. I’m in a condo garage which is open on the sides so I get wind and thus dust. After driving it a few times I do wash.
Old 01-14-2024, 06:46 PM
Rod27
Pro

a GT3 race team mechanic was telling me about a plastic cleaner/polisher he recommended for PPF called Plexus. Anyone heard of it or have experience with it?
Old 01-14-2024, 09:26 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rod27
a GT3 race team mechanic was telling me about a plastic cleaner/polisher he recommended for PPF called Plexus. Anyone heard of it or have experience with it?
yes…that’s old technology and HIGHLY not recommended on ppf urethane…the tip off for us is the nozzle plastic turning yellow

that product was however recommended about a decade ago, but we’ve since improved technology on film and aftercare…ceramic is the most compatible with ppf assuming from a reputable brand
The following 2 users liked this post by MoeMistry:
gellie (03-12-2024), Rod27 (01-15-2024)
Old 03-10-2024, 09:05 PM
Joemat
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Nanolex Pure Shampoo.
Old 04-02-2024, 08:36 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 759 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by PHX
CarPro Reset, 2 bucket method, nothing crazy. Simple, reliable, and I can't find anything better...or at least I've run out of energy trying to find anything better. LOL.
Based on the recommendations from this thread, I bought CarPro Reset and used it over the Easter weekend and Wow! The slickness and lubricity is off the charts. So, if I like Reset, what other CarPro products will I like? I'm currently an Adams devotee.
Old 04-02-2024, 09:18 AM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 621 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Patriot
Based on the recommendations from this thread, I bought CarPro Reset and used it over the Easter weekend and Wow! The slickness and lubricity is off the charts. So, if I like Reset, what other CarPro products will I like? I'm currently an Adams devotee.
I use some Echo2 waterless wash in a spray bottle, kept in my cars, as a quick bird bomb "fix". I don't know if it is super great above anything else, just because I have never tried anything else, but it does the job. GOOD
I have tried some Elixir quick detailer and it was okay, nothing spectacular. I used it as a drying aid and I now use it in the shower on the glass door as a drying aid and it does great! : ) MEH
I have used Gliss and Dlux on wheels and was less than impressed. It could have been me screwing it up, however, it appeared to gather more dust and grime than without the ceramic application. BAD
I have used Hydro2Lite back in the day and although I must admit I had no clue what it was supposed to be doing, it did the job for a short period of time, best I can remember. MEH
I currently use PERL for tire "goop" and protectant. I clean the tires and reapply it every wash and I really like how it sets and how you can make it flat all the way to shiny with 1 or 2 applications. EXCELLENT
I have used ReLoad (not the new v2.0) with limited success with how it plays with the ceramic brand applied to the paint and different vehicles paint/PPF/etc. MEH
I currently use Inside for some quick, light dusting in the interior and light spot cleaning. It is okay, which to me is just fine, as I have leather cleaner products for the leather, so this is a light cleaner only. GOOD

Just like any brand, they have awesome stuff and crappy stuff that will fit your car's situation and your needs. Those are my experiences. Hope it helped a little bit.

Last edited by PHX; 04-02-2024 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-02-2024, 10:14 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Try Release after you’ve washed and dried the car

after a vacuum of interior, wipe down all surfaces with Inner QD and a mf towel to get dust/fingerprints off

Clarify is a nice glass cleaner
Old 04-03-2024, 09:06 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

CarPro Darkside is great.

Quick Reply: What "car wash" are you currently using?