Notices

Are Q-tips safe for paint/clearcoat?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2023, 04:17 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Are Q-tips safe for paint/clearcoat?

Are Q-tips safe for detailing painted car surfaces? I assume they are but I have never tried them for this purpose. I've used them for years for interior detailing but I have never used them on the painted surfaces of my cars.

I performed a quick search on this topic but have not found a definitive answer. Recently, I've been doing the pre-winter storage wash/wax routine on some of my cars and I'd like to know if Q-tips are safe to use to remove excess wax from painted crevices. I would first wet the Q-tip with something like quick detailer spray before using it on the paint. Will a Q-tip scratch or mar paint?
Old 11-13-2023, 09:17 AM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 614 Likes on 398 Posts

Should be just fine with light pressure.

Assuming this would be to get inside or around some lettering, badging, or numbering, so the odds of scratching it would be extremely small, as I have done that before with excellent results. Just give it a good wash and rinse before you start Q-tipping it.
The following users liked this post:
DreamCarrera (11-13-2023)
Old 11-14-2023, 12:58 AM
Spyder_2011
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 92 Posts

To get wax out of tighter crevices I use wooden toothpicks, just use a light touch and keep the tip clean.

To clean residue around badges and other areas I would use a high quality boars hair brush.
Old 01-15-2024, 08:08 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 709 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
Are Q-tips safe for detailing painted car surfaces? I assume they are but I have never tried them for this purpose. I've used them for years for interior detailing but I have never used them on the painted surfaces of my cars.

I performed a quick search on this topic but have not found a definitive answer. Recently, I've been doing the pre-winter storage wash/wax routine on some of my cars and I'd like to know if Q-tips are safe to use to remove excess wax from painted crevices. I would first wet the Q-tip with something like quick detailer spray before using it on the paint. Will a Q-tip scratch or mar paint?
the qtip itself is ok with light pressure, however, the dirt that collects will scratch quickly since there’s little surface area on the qtip

a good recommendation would be to use products that won’t leave residue to clean up

caring for exterior is simple - clay/polish/protect…using a maintenance product after the major detail should keep things clean and no residue

what wax are you using? Have you tried ceramic products?
The following users liked this post:
RobT 394 (01-19-2024)
Old 01-16-2024, 04:29 PM
weberlukas74
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

In my experience, using Q-tips for detailing can be a handy trick, especially for those tight spots. You're doing it right by giving them a spritz of quick detailer before getting rid of extra wax in the nooks and crannies. That way, you avoid scratching up the paint. Just ensure the Q-tip is clean and free of any debris before use. I've used Q-tips for intricate work, and they've proven to be gentle on paint when handled with care. Take it slow, be gentle, and you should be good to go.
Old 02-09-2024, 05:36 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
the qtip itself is ok with light pressure, however, the dirt that collects will scratch quickly since there’s little surface area on the qtip

a good recommendation would be to use products that won’t leave residue to clean up

caring for exterior is simple - clay/polish/protect…using a maintenance product after the major detail should keep things clean and no residue

what wax are you using? Have you tried ceramic products?
The cars in question are not ceramic coated nor are most of them covered with PPF. The waxes used are predominantly P21S Concours (Carnauba) wax and Griot's synthetic wax. Thanks for confirming that the Q-tip alone is safe for the paint (with light pressure). I also fully agree that the Q-tip needs to be changed frequently due to the very limited surface area of the swab.

Originally Posted by weberlukas74
In my experience, using Q-tips for detailing can be a handy trick, especially for those tight spots. You're doing it right by giving them a spritz of quick detailer before getting rid of extra wax in the nooks and crannies. That way, you avoid scratching up the paint. Just ensure the Q-tip is clean and free of any debris before use. I've used Q-tips for intricate work, and they've proven to be gentle on paint when handled with care. Take it slow, be gentle, and you should be good to go.
Thanks! This has been my experience as well.
Old 02-09-2024, 10:57 AM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 677 Likes on 398 Posts

Save yourself the hassle with Q-Tips, and use these instead. I use the larger of the two for all exterior crevasses during the dwell time once I foam the car (added lubrication), and the smaller for the interior with a little bit of KC Polestar sprayed on the brush.

https://a.co/d/5W9dNlC
Old 02-21-2024, 06:01 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Originally Posted by BoxKing
Save yourself the hassle with Q-Tips, and use these instead. I use the larger of the two for all exterior crevasses during the dwell time once I foam the car (added lubrication), and the smaller for the interior with a little bit of KC Polestar sprayed on the brush.

https://a.co/d/5W9dNlC
I don't think this is the correct link...?
Old 03-01-2024, 05:45 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 677 Likes on 398 Posts

I don't think this is the correct link...?
Detail Factory - TriGrip Ultra-Soft Detailing Brush Set - Comfortable Grip and Scratch-Free Cleaning for Exterior, Interior Panels, Emblems, Badges, Gauge Cluster, Infotainment Screen, Grey
Amazon Amazon

Old 03-04-2024, 11:30 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Received 317 Likes on 140 Posts

We went Full Concours with our '55 356 Emory Outlaw at the Porsche Parade in 2004.
Wife insisted that she would do the underside knowing that the judge would subtract points if it wasn't perfect.
She went thru a box of 1000 q-tips and we won our class and division.
Fun..... but we will never ever do that again!

Quick Reply: Are Q-tips safe for paint/clearcoat?