Old 04-06-2024, 01:00 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 709 Likes on 370 Posts
Default Ask Moe 2.0

Good day folks!!!

Rennlist has been the place where I have hung my hat for years and it’s a community dear to my heart

I’ve dedicated my life since 1993 to the craft of detailing and related facets. I got the passion when my parents purchased a 1993 Honda Accord LX and my father and I went to Kragen’s Auto and picked up some Meguiar’s #7 Show Car Glaze to make green metallic paint shine…I was 16

I
was fortunate to hone my craft and learn from some of the best of the best…it even took me to working on the 2005 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance Best in Show

This is an exciting time in our industry with so many great tools, products, and many DIY opportunities which simply weren’t available a few decades ago

This thread is to help DIYers, and Professionals, make sense of the more common aspects of detailing

This is your opportunity to get honest and straight-forward advice on almost any topic, and to talk shop and share knowledge

To kick things off, here’s a fun video we made of the wash routine… “GP” style

Enjoy and let me know what you think!!!

Last edited by MoeMistry; 04-06-2024 at 02:41 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by MoeMistry:
Aperture776 (04-06-2024), PHX (04-06-2024), pongobaz (04-18-2024), vg247 (04-07-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 11:07 AM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 58 Posts

Moe, your contributions over the years have been nothing short of excellent. Long time looker on this forum and have learned a few tricks from reading your comments. Thank you!

When using ceramic coating, it seems the first layer goes on with a bit of a drag on the applicator which seems normal as the product is filling in. The second layer goes on quite smoothly and takes a lot less product. So my question is, does the second coat do much good or are we just wasting product? Or is the trick to use very little product on the second coat and you are mainly ensuring complete coverage that might have been missed on the first?
The following users liked this post:
MoeMistry (04-07-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 04:31 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 709 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by RobT 394
Moe, your contributions over the years have been nothing short of excellent. Long time looker on this forum and have learned a few tricks from reading your comments. Thank you!

When using ceramic coating, it seems the first layer goes on with a bit of a drag on the applicator which seems normal as the product is filling in. The second layer goes on quite smoothly and takes a lot less product. So my question is, does the second coat do much good or are we just wasting product? Or is the trick to use very little product on the second coat and you are mainly ensuring complete coverage that might have been missed on the first?
Thanks for the kind words and happy to hear my advice has come in handy

you ask an excellent question

first, each coating will have its own unique method of application and it’s best to know those parameters

assuming surface is prepped properly and clean, and working indoors, your observation of the first coat absorbing most of the coating is true…it’s filling the pores like you mentioned

the second coat will definitely be easier and it DOES provide additional protection and durability while assuring even coverage of first coat

at our shop, we usually wait about 45-60 minutes between coats depending on Mother Nature

one very important visual cue to look for is if 1st layer is repelling the 2nd layer…you’ll know when it happens if you see the 2nd coat separate or bead as you’re applying

if this happens, then 2nd coat will simply be removed and won’t provide much advantage, if any

if repelling is happening, it means the first layer has cured, there’s some sort of contamination, among other reasons

use proper lighting and LOTS of clean mf towels to make sure you avoid high spots and remove the coating properly to not leave any haze

hope that helps

what coating are you using and how do you like it?

Last edited by MoeMistry; 04-07-2024 at 04:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RobT 394 (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 04:17 PM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 58 Posts

Thanks for the reply. Makes sense and confirms my suspiction.

As for the coatings. Since I am not a professional the choices are limited to what is available on line. For the most recent projects I used Kamikaze. Super easy to apply and level and most importantly the smell is not bad. It is not as slick to the touch as some other products but I have plenty of tools to use as overcoat spray to get that feel once it fully cures. Jury still out on longevity. I have used Carpro Cquartz on a number of cars and a RV. It was hard to beat. Also applied easily and it lasted for 2-3 years on a daily driver. For me it is critical to have a product that has a decent window for leveling, meaning it does not harden in minutes and also does not require a respirator. I tried one of those products and after one application it went in the trash!
Old 04-11-2024, 03:07 AM
SDcarguy
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Moe,

Thank you for everything that you’ve done and do for this community.

May I ask for your recommendations on ceramic coating maintenance. I have cQuartz Finest over Stek PPF and have been trying to educate myself on overall care and products. I just ordered Carpro Release to try after my weekly Reset wash (based on your other posts) but it seems like there are varying products for each wash or every few months. Would love to hear your advice for best practices.

Thanks again
Old 04-14-2024, 02:55 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,974 Likes on 2,051 Posts

Moe - I remember reading your posts from 10+ years ago. Also, last year you really helped me with removing touchup paint from my calipers. Cannot thank you enough for the advice you provide to the community and the knowledge you share.

Quick Reply: Ask Moe 2.0