Notices

Cleaning interior carpet - advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 06:37 PM
Cincy_Ron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cleaning interior carpet - advice needed

Howdy folks, I've got my 993 kind of torn apart right now. Installed a short shift kit and have the center console off for refinishing, parking brake out, etc. I'd like to give the carpet a cleaning (classic gray interior). Is there a spray foam I can use and just shop vac it off or is there a steam vac available that isn't going to break the bank? I don't want to put a bunch of money in this but I've got plenty of time right now and I'd like to clean up the interior a bit.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:31 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Rent a carpet cleaner/steamer from your local hardware store.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:14 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 711 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Cincy_Ron
Howdy folks, I've got my 993 kind of torn apart right now. Installed a short shift kit and have the center console off for refinishing, parking brake out, etc. I'd like to give the carpet a cleaning (classic gray interior). Is there a spray foam I can use and just shop vac it off or is there a steam vac available that isn't going to break the bank? I don't want to put a bunch of money in this but I've got plenty of time right now and I'd like to clean up the interior a bit.
We've been using this product for over 15 years and it works like a charm.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...ttle%2C/Detail
Old 06-12-2011, 08:45 AM
Zurichgnome
Instructor

I'll defer to Moe's superior knowledge on the topic. But as a point of reference, several years ago we took my wife's SUV to a Stanley Steamer franchise and for $125 they did all the carpets with a steam extractor. After several years of salt from Michigan winters and seasons worth of landscaping supplies this was sorely need and it looked tremendous. As near new as possible. I think it was worth it.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:11 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 504 Likes on 347 Posts

I've used a Bissell Green Machine from time to time.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:56 PM
Cincy_Ron
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys! I didn't even consider renting a machine but now that No H2O mentioned it I remember seeing some commercial type cleaners for rent at the local Sears Hardware. I'll have to check it out. I think I'll pick up a bottle of the AutoGlym too, I've got some of their other stuff in the garage that I've had good results with.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:58 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 711 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Cincy_Ron
Thanks guys! I didn't even consider renting a machine but now that No H2O mentioned it I remember seeing some commercial type cleaners for rent at the local Sears Hardware. I'll have to check it out. I think I'll pick up a bottle of the AutoGlym too, I've got some of their other stuff in the garage that I've had good results with.
Ron, how did the interior turn out. Did you get the autoglym and try it out.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:29 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Carpets- 303™ Rug / Upholstery Cleaner & Spot Remover or Folex Instant Carpet Spot Remover, gentle brush agitation and repetition is the key to success when cleaning stained carpet.

Normal cleaning- brush loose dirt/dust with a medium stiff brush, lightly spray surface with a carpet cleaner (Autoglym Interior Shampoo/Cleaner) and let the foam remain in place for 5-10 minutes and then remove residue.
Heavily soiled- brush loose dirt/dust with a stiff brush, use a citrus-based pre-cleaner P21S® Total Auto Wash or 10:1 distilled hot water, or Woolite® Heavy Traffic Carpet Foam let solution remain in place for 5-10 minutes to enable cleaners to react, and then use a carpet extractor

Bio-Kleen Bac-Out – a safe stain and odour eliminator that contains live enzyme cultures that attack organic stains (food, etc) and odours and removes them. P21S® Total Auto Wash (its active ingredient is d-limonene, a safe solvent (citrus) all purpose cleaner (APC)

Carpeted floor mats: Floor mats take a majority of the wear away from the interior carpet. However, this leaves floor mats with soiling as well as oily stains. Inspect for oily stains.

Use a solvent-based spot remover to remove oily stains. Spot treat really bad stains (303TM Cleaner & Spot Remover or Woolite® Heavy Traffic Carpet Foam)
Pour a small amount of cleaner onto a terry towel and wiping toward the centre of the stain to remove the spot. Clean normal to heavy soiling as described above. Floor mats may get as wet as necessary to properly clean them.

Normal cleaning- brush loose dirt/dust with a medium stiff brush, lightly spray surface with a carpet cleaner (Woolite® Heavy Traffic Carpet Foam) and let the foam remain in place for 5-10 minutes and then remove residue.

Heavily soiled- brush loose dirt/dust with a stiff brush, use a citrus-based pre-cleaner P21S® Total Auto Wash 10:1 distilled hot water, let solution remain in place for 5-10 minutes to enable cleaners to react, and then use a carpet extractor or a high pressure water hose

Quick Reply: Cleaning interior carpet - advice needed