Notices

Porsche 911 Turbo - Paint Correction & Xpel Ultimate Self Healing Clear Bra Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 09:54 AM
Unique Car Care
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Porsche 911 Turbo - Paint Correction & Xpel Ultimate Self Healing Clear Bra Install

This Midnight Blue 997 Turbo was scheduled for an exterior paint correction (including paint touch-up work), a full interior detail and complete front-end clear bra coverage.

The owner recently purchased the car with roughly 50k miles on the odometer and I have to say the car was very well taken care of by the previous owner. There was a decent amount of stone chips present, which are to be expected on a 50k mile car. In addition, the paint was beginning to show it’s age and had a considerable amount of hazing, swirling and moderate scratches which gave the paint a “dry” look to it.

Here is what the paint looked like after a thorough wash and claybar treatment…

As you can see, the paint was in need of some TLC, so we got right to work polishing since we had 48 hours to perform a complete paint correction, interior detail and complete front-end clear bra install.

I don’t have and during pictures of the paint correction and detail since time was limited, but we ended up performing a 3-step polishing treatment to get the paint swirl-free and looking it’s best. The owner of the car provided a Dr. Colorchip kit which worked great at filling in any stone chips before the clear bra install the next day.

We chose to use the new Xpel Ultimate film, which has great clarity, no orange peel and has a clearcoat topcoat. The great thing about the film is that is has self-healing properties if you happen to scratch it at some point. Any type of heat (sunlight, engine heat, hot water, etc. will promote the self healing and the scratches will disappear. It also has great UV protection and will not discolor, fade or get cloudy like other films on the market. Most films look great when first installed, but typically degrade not even a year later. This film is backed with a 10 year warranty.

The install is fully custom instead of using pre-cut kits. Pre-cut kits typically have lots of critical areas that don't get covered and are prone to stone damage, not to mention lots of unnecessary seams. By performing a fully custom install, we use bulk film and are able to have all seams very close to any openings (park distance sensors, reflectors, headlights, foglights, etc.) for a cleaner install with added coverage. In addition, all edges are completely wrapped over (hood, fenders, etc.).

Now that the paint was ready for film, we started the install…

First up was the mirrors and headlights…

The headlights were removed in order to wrap the edges of the film completely over when covering the fenders in order to avoid unnecessary seams.

Applying film to the passenger side fender…

Old 06-21-2012, 09:55 AM
Unique Car Care
Former Vendor

Default clear bra boston MA, Xpel Ultimate, Self healing film, Unique Car Care

Next up was the drivers side fender….

After the fenders were complete, we started on the hood. The Porsche badge was removed and the film was trimmed about ¼ inch long in order to wrap all edges for a 100% seamless install.

Last but not least was the front bumper. This is by far the most difficult area to wrap due to the extreme curves and having to wrap the film in all the tight areas.

Once the install was complete, I applied a sealant to all paint and clear film surfaces for long lasting protection.

Both the detail and clear bra install came out phenomenal and the customer was pleased with the final outcome.

Here are the final pictures!

Thanks for looking!
Old 06-22-2012, 12:58 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice job, I also had Xpel film custom installed on all front clip surfaces, it's a lot of work, the installer working by himself spent 7.5 hours in my garage working on the car without even taking any lunch break.

This film is very smooth and almost appears paint-like, definitely better than the orange peel type surface on the 3M Scotch brand film.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:51 PM
SS 951
Racer

Looks like a very nice job. I had the 3M done 4 years ago, it held up beautifully and I have no complaints with it 99,000 miles later on a daily driver. I purchased a Cayman S this week, and just had the Xpel applied on it today. They did a great job on the application for both cars, and I'd highly recommend Mark at Clear Auto Bra in St. Louis.

Quick Reply: Porsche 911 Turbo - Paint Correction & Xpel Ultimate Self Healing Clear Bra Install