Notices

AIM SmartyCam GP HD 2.2 Cabling Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 02:19 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default AIM SmartyCam GP HD 2.2 Cabling Question

I have a new smartycam gp hd 2.2, which I didn't choose the leads for. It came with a 4m 5 pin lead for power and a 7 pin external microphone lead.

I'm not connecting to any other AIM products, and I see that there is an optional external power cable which has a 5 pin plug on one end and unterminated battery and ground leads on the other, whereas the one I have at the moment has 5 pin plugs on both ends. According to the pinout diagram external battery and ground are on pins 5 and 2, so am I right in assuming I can still use this lead for external power if I just connect a female 712 5 pin plug and just wire those two pins?

Alternatively, I also want to add a CAN cable to a Syvecs ECU. I note that AIM have a CAN with MIC cable, which would work instead of the external microphone cable that came with the camera. But then looking at the pinout diagram it appears the ECU-MIC port can also carry external power. Does that mean I can actually do external power, microphone and CAN connection all with just one 7 pin cable lead to the ECU/Mic port? Or is it preferable to use seperate EXP and ECU/Mic leads?
Old 03-12-2021, 08:51 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,888 Likes on 1,695 Posts

If you are not connecting to an AiM logger, I would strongly recommend an ECU Harness that has a mic input. I use these cables (without the external mic jack) frequently to connect to power ground and CAN+/CAN- on the ECU. I would recommend that single cable to the GP V2.2
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-12-2021, 09:20 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 780 Likes on 507 Posts

I believe the cable you want is one of these

V02584140 2 m ECU CAN + integrated 3.5 female Jack for external microphone + external power harness
V02584150 4 m ECU CAN + integrated 3.5 female Jack for external microphone + external power harness

You will probably want a GPS08 as well so you can have the speed/G Force/track time on there too.
Old 03-12-2021, 10:03 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

GPS-08 is no longer shipping, you want the GPS-09 for speed and track position (lap timing and map).

Update camera firmware to use the GPS-09 to work with the GP V2.2
Old 03-12-2021, 11:38 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

As recent at last weekend at Sebring I had some reports of trouble with the GPS-09 working with the SCHD (and current FW), so I would suggest the 08 if people want worry free install. While GPS-08 aren't being produced, there will be stock of them for the legacy devices and stocking dealers will have them left over. I have 8 on the shelf right now.
Old 03-12-2021, 12:15 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I make it a point of selling only the latest hardware revisions, except for parts and cables for out of production models

The fw update was specifically for the V2.2 and both my 718GT4 CS customers had their issues with the GPS-09 resolved due to that update. Ironically, at Sebring!
Old 03-12-2021, 12:40 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I make it a point of selling only the latest hardware revisions, except for parts and cables for out of production models

The fw update was specifically for the V2.2 and both my 718GT4 CS customers had their issues with the GPS-09 resolved due to that update. Ironically, at Sebring!
Agreed. That is why I have inventory of the GPS-08 for MXL customers along with all models of GPS-09 (Pro too) for people.

Old 03-12-2021, 05:12 PM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the information guys. I pm'd you Matt.

Quick Reply: AIM SmartyCam GP HD 2.2 Cabling Question