Notices

New catalyst coming?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 05:42 PM
519Kris
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Default New catalyst coming?

Everyone has discounted the Garmin Catalyst. Is there a new model coming soon?
The following users liked this post:
dxrohanx (03-21-2023)
Old 03-20-2023, 06:54 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,890 Likes on 1,695 Posts

No. It's the standard twice-a-year sale. All dealers offer $200 off. March 12th to April 9th are the spring dates this year.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following 2 users liked this post by ProCoach:
519Kris (03-20-2023), dxrohanx (03-21-2023)
Old 03-21-2023, 02:51 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 519Kris
Everyone has discounted the Garmin Catalyst. Is there a new model coming soon?
My sales/marketing mind was wondering the same thing.... That is usally the strategy.
Old 03-21-2023, 06:18 PM
519Kris
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Plavan
My sales/marketing mind was wondering the same thing.... That is usally the strategy.
I’m betting that’s not the case here. Bought one to try out this season, $800 is a good price. So, if my track record on bets like this is any indication, I’ve bet wrong
Old 03-21-2023, 08:27 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Plavan
While that may be for cycled tech like TV’s and laptops, not the case with this device. They have been very clear on this.

Every year in the spring and Black Friday since 2021, they’ve done this.
TDT (03-29-2023)
Old 03-22-2023, 10:04 AM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 234 Posts

If there was a new unit in the works with an imminent release there would already be reports out on the FCC approval. Any consumer device that has Bluetooth and Wi-Fi has to pass FCC certification and the information is public. There is usually an early warning of a product release for most tech devices through this channel. Crickets on a new Catalyst... If you want one of these for yourself for use this season, I say just buy it!

Last edited by sonorous; 03-22-2023 at 10:05 AM. Reason: typo
The following 2 users liked this post by sonorous:
519Kris (03-23-2023), TDT (03-29-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 04:16 PM
SFZ GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 59 Posts

Any updates to this info? I'm looking at a Catalyst, new or "lightly USD" now and want to make an informed choice. Being in FL, now is the season I want to run a number of events at tracks that I have not run before. Also, any thoughts on the Catalyst over another approach for someone looking for good in-car video, reliable data display/feedback, and minimal "fiddling" once set up. Will be going into a 981GT4 pretty much exclusively.

TIA
Old 09-11-2023, 04:37 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by SFZ GT3
Any updates to this info? I'm looking at a Catalyst, new or "lightly USD" now and want to make an informed choice. Being in FL, now is the season I want to run a number of events at tracks that I have not run before. Also, any thoughts on the Catalyst over another approach for someone looking for good in-car video, reliable data display/feedback, and minimal "fiddling" once set up. Will be going into a 981GT4 pretty much exclusively.

TIA
Take advantage of the $100 off and get new with a warranty from Garmin.

For less than $2K, choices are limited for data integrated with video. The Catalyst is a sweet spot with a cool display, audio coaching and no need for a phone, laptop or computer to get the information you need to go quicker.

There is the AiM Solo 2 DL/SC3 Sport camera combo for about $1800 with mounts, but that requires a Windows laptop and some significant amount of configuration to make work and then to "read" the data. And if you don't know what you're looking at, there's training needed for that, too. But it does have a lot of car info, if that's what you need.

There is the VBOX HD Lite, a camera and logger only with eight channels of car info. $960 without display, about $1600 with the Mini OLED. Easier to use than the AiM, works with Windows, Mac or iOS if you have a WiFi SD card reader, the configuration is simple and the analysis does auto segment analysis, which is what the Garmin uses to find where you can do better. I started using one of these for coaching last week and really like it.

Still think the Garmin for $900 on sale until the end of this month is the ticket. Yes, people fuss about no car info, but it is the only system that can tell you where, how and what to do do go faster without any laptop or training. And the video is just fine.

No, I don't sell millions of dollars worth or eight different lines of data and video logging equipment anymore, but I do know what works and I coach drivers in GT4's several times a month. For the last eight years...
SFZ GT3 (09-11-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 05:55 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 550 Likes on 289 Posts

As Peter noted, the Catalyst is probably the least "fiddle with" unit out there. I have guys that say they can't figure out their phone still be able to easily set up and get a lot of data out of the Catalyst. It really is an amazing little device. We can't keep them in stock - I have two in stock right now with more on the way. There are a few pro-am teams that put these in every car to give the coach (and driver) and easy short cut to show results instead of needing a laptop and translate squiggly lines to performance.

And no, there is not a new unit imminent. Much to us dealer's dismay, Garmin likes to put things on sale a lot.

Might as well get it now while you can save a few bucks.

https://naroescapemotorsports.com/pr...rmin-catalyst/

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

ProCoach (09-11-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 06:01 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 781 Likes on 507 Posts

Peter laid out the landscape as only he can and with his views. I'd say the AiM doesn't take lots of config if you buy it from the right people Plus, you get great video ready to play, access to your data if you want it, the ability to use LapSnap for quick easy analysis on your phone or tablet, and it will allow you to have all the overlay items real professional coaches use in services like Blayze.
SFZ GT3 (09-11-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 06:30 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Hahaha!

Any bona fide ("real") professional coach is facile with all systems. Also, real professional coaches are committed (or should be) to sharing their interpretation methodology, associated mouse clicks and all the tips and tricks they can to their clients, so that the client can coach themselves!

As a matter of fact, it's no longer necessary with AiM Race Studio 3 Analysis to have the information rendered on the video because, with only a Windows laptop (not LapSnap, a third party app), you can open a data and a video file and have them auto-synced sharing the same window. https://www.aim-sportline.com/aim-so...10510_1110.pdf

That feature (auto-synced video and data in the same analysis window) has always been integral to the Catalyst (2020-on), VBOX (2010-on), Race Technology (2009-on), MoTeC (2008-on), Traqmate (2006-on), et cetera. It's really good that AiM is finally on board with that critical feature.

Bottom line is that in this day and age and especially for the club, recreational track day and DE driver, the technology and the software HAS to be approachable and easy enough to navigate without a 94-page manual, let alone a quick start guide.

The best tool is the one that works for you. Most folks have only a few minutes between sessions to quickly determine what they need to do next to achieve substantive improvement. The Catalyst is a great way to start and can keep a driver busy for a long time. You can also send the rendered video to a service like Blayze, Ray Phillips or myself and we can tell you alot.

Real professional (full-time, substantially experienced and there for their client, not themselves) coaches can save the folks they work for a lot of time this way. They need only GPS Speed, track position and lat/lon g loading to form a good idea of what needs to be worked on next.

The best and most usable hardware and software does the same thing for a driver to coach themselves.

Now, that technology is ubiquitous. Whatever level you want to take it to. Its a great thing.
Old 09-11-2023, 06:53 PM
SFZ GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 59 Posts

THANKS to all 3 of you for your excellent feedback and advice. It pretty much supports where I was headed with my desire to go have fun, capture the video/data, and improve on my results (based on my performance, not competing against others). I've been doing DE, Instruction, PCA Club Race, and SCCA (ITS and Spec Miata) in the Midatlantic, NE and Midwest from 1985 til 2007 with Summit Point as my home track. Many others as well, but never at Road Atlanta, Sebring, Daytona, or Barber, and only one event so far at Roebling. So that's my focus in returning to DE (only), no more tow vehicles, trailers, "at the track" prep, etc. Just looking for some "8/10's" fun on some new tracks.

Will be back to all of you individually as my plans go forward. My first event with the GT4 is targeted for early October for a one-day intro to running the GT4 on track at the Firm.
ProCoach (09-11-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 06:56 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Hahaha!

Any bona fide ("real") professional coach is facile with all systems. Also, real professional coaches are committed (or should be) to sharing their interpretation methodology, associated mouse clicks and all the tips and tricks they can to their clients, so that the client can coach themselves!

As a matter of fact, it's no longer necessary with AiM Race Studio 3 Analysis to have the information rendered on the video because, with only a Windows laptop (not LapSnap, a third party app), you can open a data and a video file and have them auto-synced sharing the same window. https://www.aim-sportline.com/aim-so...10510_1110.pdf

That feature (auto-synced video and data in the same analysis window) has always been integral to the Catalyst (2020-on), VBOX (2010-on), Race Technology (2009-on), MoTeC (2008-on), Traqmate (2006-on), et cetera. It's really good that AiM is finally on board with that critical feature.

Bottom line is that in this day and age and especially for the club, recreational track day and DE driver, the technology and the software HAS to be approachable and easy enough to navigate without a 94-page manual, let alone a quick start guide.

The best tool is the one that works for you. Most folks have only a few minutes between sessions to quickly determine what they need to do next to achieve substantive improvement. The Catalyst is a great way to start and can keep a driver busy for a long time. You can also send the rendered video to a service like Blayze, Ray Phillips or myself and we can tell you alot.

Real professional (full-time, substantially experienced and there for their client, not themselves) coaches can save the folks they work for a lot of time this way. They need only GPS Speed, track position and lat/lon g loading to form a good idea of what needs to be worked on next.

The best and most usable hardware and software does the same thing for a driver to coach themselves.

Now, that technology is ubiquitous. Whatever level you want to take it to. Its a great thing.
Easy. I wasn't calling you a lay person or dilettante (person without real knowledge). I agree with the bold part fully. It's always horses for courses and what works for the person.
Old 09-11-2023, 06:58 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Another option that wasn't mentioned that is a great solution for some folks is the Apex Pro. The method of data presentation works for lots of people. It's worth looking at too if you are an iOS user (I know they have an Android app). I've known Andrew and the team there since their first sale (even before the first dealer!).
Old 09-11-2023, 07:41 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Easy. I wasn't calling you a lay person or dilettante (person without real knowledge). I agree with the bold part fully. It's always horses for courses and what works for the person.
I don't care what you call me. I've been doing this at a club level than just about anyone, and at a pro level for just as long. Glad you agree, because there is no reason to differ in our opinions on this.

Blayze has been a good value but has not been the success other individuals have been financially. Different strokes for different folks.

Quick Reply: New catalyst coming?