Notices

Laptop is dying, will AiM RS3 run on Mac M2

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2023, 01:05 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Laptop is dying, will AiM RS3 run on Mac M2

My current laptop a Mid-2014 Macbook Pro is about to let go, the case is bulging. It on it second battery, which I suspect is close to blowing. I was considering a new 16-in MBP M2-Max, but haven't heard clearly whether Race Studio3 will run on it via Parallels and Win 10 or 11. I'd hate to spend that kind-of money on a top flight MBP if it won't run AiM and forcing me to also invest in a Window laptop for solely that app. Anybody have any input on what's the best route to go? I need to move rather quickly on the Mac front since it's my sole computer.
Old 09-24-2023, 03:32 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I heard it works but there are issues with either USB or Wifi (don't recall which, but I think it was USB). This is of interest to me as I've been using a MBP with Bootcamp and VMware for AiM stuff for a very long time and it's my preferred way to work. I'll need to refresh to a newer Apple Silicon laptop at some point. I'd love to hear from folks that are using it.

If you do Facebook, it may be worth asking on the
Facebook Post
group there.
Facebook Post

Last edited by jwasilko; 09-24-2023 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-24-2023, 04:17 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,886 Likes on 1,694 Posts

This is why I bought a refurb Core i9 32 GB RAM 2 TB SSD 16” MBP. I use Win10 on Boot Camp and with the bright screen, works better than any other Windows laptop for the 800 or so GB of video and data I keep on my laptop.

So far, I have not heard of a successful Apple Silicon MBP working with RS3 (or any AiM software) under Parallels or VMware. As said above, it’s a device driver issue with the WiFi and USB port adapters that has been the stumbling block.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-24-2023, 04:43 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Good data point, Peter. I was assuming that was probably my path forward--upgrade my MBP to a M2 model and keep the Intel i9 MBP I already have for track use.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (09-24-2023)
Old 09-25-2023, 02:29 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
This is why I bought a refurb Core i9 32 GB RAM 2 TB SSD 16” MBP. I use Win10 on Boot Camp and with the bright screen, works better than any other Windows laptop for the 800 or so GB of video and data I keep on my laptop.

So far, I have not heard of a successful Apple Silicon MBP working with RS3 (or any AiM software) under Parallels or VMware. As said above, it’s a device driver issue with the WiFi and USB port adapters that has been the stumbling block.
Well, that stinks! Makes my somewhat planned Mac update less straight forward. I was using Boot Camp on my i7 MBP and it worked fairly well with just data. The fan would kick in, but data would scroll smoothly. I didn't try syncing with video, because I thought it would be too much.

I was reading that Parallels 19 requires the Window 11-ARM version. While, AiM says it's software is designed only around the Intel architecture.

Now, I've got to figure out the Track/Windows side and my personal Mac side > MacBook Pro, Air (spec'd out) or Mini+ monitor and maybe iPad? All three options are close in cost level.

Originally Posted by jwasilko
Good data point, Peter. I was assuming that was probably my path forward--upgrade my MBP to a M2 model and keep the Intel i9 MBP I already have for track use.
I've begun to consider replacing the battery in the this current laptop (again) and leaving it solely for track/RS3 duty. Although, I suspect getting a Win-laptop will be best or necessary at some point.
Old 10-04-2023, 06:43 PM
stellman
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

I run RS3 using Parallels on my M1 Pro MBP without any issues. I have a Solo2DL and a SmartyCam HD 2.1. For the Solo2DL, Wifi works fine and for the SmartyCam, I load any overlays/tracks using the SD card and then do the "Load Conf" on the SmartyCam itself.

I can't speak for any other AIM products.
Matt Romanowski (10-04-2023)
Old 11-18-2023, 08:55 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 571 Posts

So there is no way to make wired data download to work on Arm Mac? Or is there? Unfortunately, my steering wheel does not do wifi.
Old 11-18-2023, 09:53 PM
jwasilko
Racer

You could add a memory module that logs to an SD card. That's what I use. Way easier than USB or Wifi.

https://www.aimsports.com/en/product...dule/index.htm
MaxLTV (11-19-2023)
Old 11-19-2023, 10:59 AM
pmiranda
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I gather, no wifi and no usb support?
how do you configure the dash and smarty cam?
Old 11-19-2023, 11:41 AM
jwasilko
Racer

Ahh, I wasn't 100% clear, sorry. I'm still on an intel mac, so wifi/USB are all fine (i mostly work in BootCamp at the track). The MemoryModule is a game changer though.
ProCoach (11-19-2023)
Old 11-19-2023, 11:50 AM
pmiranda
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking can you put a zconfig or aimcfg file on the sd card and the smarty cam (or dash if you have the memory module) pick it up?
Old 11-19-2023, 02:39 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 778 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by pmiranda
I was thinking can you put a zconfig or aimcfg file on the sd card and the smarty cam (or dash if you have the memory module) pick it up?
Only the camera can be configured through the memory card.
Old 11-19-2023, 05:02 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,886 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Originally Posted by jwasilko
I'm still on an intel mac, so wifi/USB are all fine (i mostly work in BootCamp at the track).
Same here. I work on in Boot Camp at the track, as I am working with multiple systems (MoTeC/AiM/VBOX/Cosworth). Never any issues.

I have not seen/heard of much success using the Apple Silicone, but maybe the emulators have improved.

Last edited by ProCoach; 11-19-2023 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-11-2024, 09:03 AM
CLASSIC MUSCLE
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are there any updates on this? I would love to buy a new 14-16 MBP with the M3 chip, but it sounds like it might not connect to my MXS dash or Smarty Cam Corsa via Parallels? Frustrating, as the new MBP's have an SDXC slot which would be great for viewing session videos easily (even many of the new windows laptops no longer have this slot).
Old 04-11-2024, 09:06 AM
CLASSIC MUSCLE
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Only the camera can be configured through the memory card.
Do you happen to know what is the best screen resolution for Race Studio 3? I bought a 15 inch Dell XPS with OLED, 3K screen, etc for work and track, but RS3 looks blurry and pretty terrible on it due to all the resolution upscaling. RS3 generally looks pretty bad on newer, high res displays it seems.

Quick Reply: Laptop is dying, will AiM RS3 run on Mac M2