Notices

Camera Placement Recommnedations

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2024, 12:42 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Camera Placement Recommnedations

I recently installed a VBox in my car. After reviewing video from my first few sessions, I noticed that the camera is picking up reflections from the car's interior (dashboard, center console, myself, etc) under certain lighting conditions (position of the sun, direction of the car, etc). I'm able to see the video footage that I want to see but the reflections are a bit of a nuisance/distraction and it would be great if I could eliminate the reflection images.

Rather than go through a bunch of trial and error experimentation, I thought I'd come to this group with a request for advice/suggestions.

Anyone have any camera placement recommendations?
Old 04-06-2024, 01:02 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,886 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Polarization filter.

On placement camera 1 should be as high and centrally located at the top of the windshield as possible. You need to see the car’s relationship to the edges of the road.

camera 2 can be over your shoulder and down aimed at the centerline of the the steering wheel or anywhere where the background is predominantly dark.or, insides the rear glass looking back.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following users liked this post:
LiveNupe (04-06-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 01:00 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

@ProCoach based on what I see on their web site, it doesn’t appear that Racelogic offers polarization filters for their cameras. My car isn’t readily available, but as soon as I get it back from the shop I’m going to see if the garmin catalyst polarization filter fits. Meanwhile, I thought I’d ask if anyone is aware of any turnkey solutions.

anyone know of any polarization filters that work with the vbox cameras out of the box?
Old 04-14-2024, 05:34 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 942 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by LiveNupe
I recently installed a VBox in my car. After reviewing video from my first few sessions, I noticed that the camera is picking up reflections from the car's interior (dashboard, center console, myself, etc) under certain lighting conditions (position of the sun, direction of the car, etc). I'm able to see the video footage that I want to see but the reflections are a bit of a nuisance/distraction and it would be great if I could eliminate the reflection images.

Rather than go through a bunch of trial and error experimentation, I thought I'd come to this group with a request for advice/suggestions.

Anyone have any camera placement recommendations?
Racelogic makes a protective lens cover RLACS240, if you order that it might help you find a 3rd party drone camera filter that fits.

Highly recommend that you put the forward facing camera as close to rear view mirror, centered, as possible. It gives a natural FOV similar to what you see through your eyes.
The following 2 users liked this post by ShakeNBake:
LiveNupe (04-14-2024), ProCoach (04-14-2024)

Quick Reply: Camera Placement Recommnedations