Notices

AIM SmartcamHD Error - Camera Not Connected

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 01:09 AM
FLM911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AIM SmartcamHD Error - Camera Not Connected

Having two issues with the AIM Smartycam GP (bullet) system in the Radical.

Setup is an MXL2 with Smartycam connected, along with the GPS sensor.

I get random "speeded up" sections of video from time to time. Im using high quality and fast SD cards, tried a few different ones which have seemed to work fine prior. Sandisk extreme pro 128gb @ 95 MB/s for example. Looks great to see the speeded up car video, unfortunately its not the car or driver!

Second issue, recently started getting a camera not connected message with a picture of a red traffic light - as a picture on the video which stays there for a couple of seconds, somewhat at random, then goes away and the video resumes but further on in its running.

Ive tried reseating cables and cleaning connectors. Tried using different memory cards. Tried updating firmware.

Anyone had these issues? Camera and dash are only 7 months old.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:40 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,886 Likes on 1,694 Posts

EMI. There is a ferrite core clamp you can put on the LVDS cable from the bullet cam to the recorder. This will help filter some of the noise out that is causing this. If that doesn't fix it, there is actually a filter that works quite well. PM me.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-22-2016, 04:12 AM
Caddell
Instructor

I have seen the little SD card door switch go bad and that will create the video speeding up and slowing down issue. If you are sure the door was closed and the thumb screw was snug, the door switch may be going bad. Call our techs at 1-800-718-9090 and see what they think.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:13 AM
FLM911
Racer

Thanks Roger and Peter. Figured you'd have a sense of what was going on. Will call.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:21 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 257 Posts

I'm having the very same issues in my Radical.
Did you resolve the problem and if so what was it?
Old 08-04-2016, 11:49 PM
FLM911
Racer

Was talking to Radical factory support guys at Mosport this weekend and they said that they are installing new shielded cables - it is EMI that is causing this especially as the routing from the camera is quite near the engine, coil etc and so easy for that interference to get in. They are issues an update from the factory on this issue fyi.

We did try re routing the cable and it def made a difference. I swapped the cards, camera, and head unit from my other car and had the same issues so we eliminated everything except the cables.

Have new cables on order, assuming this will fix the issue.

1Gunner, not sure where you are in the country but I'd look at this with your radical dealer as the factory is aware of the issue and as I said has a resolution. Failing that - Peter above is correct (as usual) with his recommendation of a filter in addition.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:29 PM
acey81
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Well, sorry to do the thread life of the year. But this is actually the only place one the world wide web where I could find this issue so please bear with me.

I also have a Radical SR3 RSX, and all of a sudden I am getting the speeding up "camera not connected" issue. It has worked for years prior to now. Is it a cable issue as mentioned above?

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2020, 03:06 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by acey81
Well, sorry to do the thread life of the year. But this is actually the only place one the world wide web where I could find this issue so please bear with me.

I also have a Radical SR3 RSX, and all of a sudden I am getting the speeding up "camera not connected" issue. It has worked for years prior to now. Is it a cable issue as mentioned above?

Thanks!
Could be coming in through the cable, preview screen on the recorder or the bullet camera. If your camera cable is not labeled “LVDS Rev3” or something with that Rev number, try that first.

AIM Sports in VA or CA in the US is super helpful if you want to send it all in and have it checked out.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:10 PM
acey81
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Could be coming in through the cable, preview screen on the recorder or the bullet camera. If your camera cable is not labeled “LVDS Rev3” or something with that Rev number, try that first.

AIM Sports in VA or CA in the US is super helpful if you want to send it all in and have it checked out.
Thanks! I will have a look at the cable. Just intrigued how it went from working perfectly in all stints one day to not working the first stint the next day. But that is how it goes. Maybe time to upgrade anyway, the resolution on the one I have currently isn't really up to 2020 standards.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by acey81
Thanks! I will have a look at the cable. Just intrigued how it went from working perfectly in all stints one day to not working the first stint the next day. But that is how it goes. Maybe time to upgrade anyway, the resolution on the one I have currently isn't really up to 2020 standards.
Resolution on the v2.2, the update from what you have, is the same. 720p. I find compression codecs far more important than the resolution number. The new v2.2 is MUCH more resistant to this issue than the v2.1.

For folks interested in 1080p, I stock two cameras. The VBOX HD2 and the MoTeC V2. Let me know i I can help.

Quick Reply: AIM SmartcamHD Error - Camera Not Connected