Notices

Track segments in AIM. How many?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 06:55 PM
mlct
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Track segments in AIM. How many?

Being lazy I have always just used the default segments that AIM creates in a track map but am wondering what everyone else does.

For example, looking at Lime Rock I am now thinking I should split the track into perhaps three segments.

1. out of West Bend to the braking zone for Big Bend
2. Big Bend through the braking zone for the up hill
3. Uphill through West Bend.

or something like this! I know that the Uphill is my worst turn and that I should carry more speed through West Bend which is why I was thinking to group them together.

The split report with the defaults has too many segments to help me compare runs as I am buried the split times then.

I guess my general question is how do you decide how many segments to make and how to split a track. Any general principles?

Thanks
Old 11-06-2016, 07:06 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,886 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Very important not to put the splits in or near the beginning of any braking zone.

I would recommend fewer rather than more splits, especially for beginning and intermediate drivers.

The finer the improvements needed, the more splits you make.

I think your idea of three sectors is fine, but I usually do by corner complexes.

So, at LRP, it would be start/finish to exit of Big Bend/exit of Big Bend to exit of Right Hander/exit of Right Hander to exit of Climbing Turn/exit of Climbing Turn to exit of West Bend/exit of West Bend to start/finish.

Place the splits in Map Manager, save the track and all new and old files will be read the same way for sector reports.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-06-2016, 07:46 PM
mlct
Racer

Thanks Peter will try your suggestions. Said I was going to spend last Winter studying my data but didn't so hopefully this year I will.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:34 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

One of the nicest things about the "off season!"
Old 11-07-2016, 10:47 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 778 Likes on 506 Posts

I agree with Peter. It's very important to make sure you don't split a sector on a highly variable part of the track. Chris Brown's book "Making Sense of Squiggly Lines" has a nice little chapter on looking at split times.

This is what the last file I opened at LRP had for a map.
Attached Images  
Old 11-07-2016, 03:33 PM
mlct
Racer

Matt,

Thanks. I have that book so really should read it this winter! Also Knox's A Practical Guite to Race car Data Analysis which is sitting next to it on the shelf. I did attend one of Roger's two day AIM seminars so will look over those notes too. Learned much but have never really used the Split report.

Now if I could just get to that theoretical 57 flat at Lime Rock, without getting a faster car, on one of the last two days I have available...if the weather cooperates.

Mark
Old 11-07-2016, 03:48 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

John Block's Auto-Ware webinars are the next step beyond Knox. REALLY good, practical and AiM specific information that can really accelerate the curve and get you that :57.0!
Old 11-07-2016, 04:05 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 778 Likes on 506 Posts

I think Bob's book has a section on it too (it's at home, not the shop with me). The one in Chris' book is only 4 or 5 pages, so it's worth a quick look.

The AiM split report is pretty powerful. Make sure you remember to turn off the in and out laps so it doesn't throw off the report. Also, remember the bottom block of numbers is the difference between the best lap and the actual lap (referenced to the top block of numbers), so you can get a good measure of consistency in the segment times, which is also a good refernce of driver comfort and reference points.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:16 PM
Caddell
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a recent AiM Sports LearnFast video focused on AiM Split Reports. It was created around karting data but the concepts are exactly the same. During the past 3 months I have posted 18 new AiM Sports Race Studio videos and will continue to post a new one every Tuesday for the rest of the year. If there are any topics you would like to see, please contact me.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:13 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Thanks, Roger!
Old 11-08-2016, 04:58 AM
mlct
Racer

Thanks all. Will check out the seminars and have been following the AIM postings.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:49 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Caddell
During the past 3 months I have posted 18 new AiM Sports Race Studio videos and will continue to post a new one every Tuesday for the rest of the year. If there are any topics you would like to see, please contact me.
Thank you so much Roger!

Quick Reply: Track segments in AIM. How many?