Notices

SmartyCam HD 2.1 - add steering angle to overlay?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 12:38 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 137 Posts
Default SmartyCam HD 2.1 - add steering angle to overlay?

I have an AIM Solo DL and SmartyCam HD 2.1 in my GT4. Is there a way to add a steering wheel graphic to the overlay? Looks like steering wheel position data in on the CAN bus and in the Solo data but I can't find any steering wheel graphics to add to the overlays.

Thanks,

John
Old 05-01-2017, 12:44 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,888 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Originally Posted by johnsopa
I have an AIM Solo DL and SmartyCam HD 2.1 in my GT4. Is there a way to add a steering wheel graphic to the overlay? Looks like steering wheel position data in on the CAN bus and in the Solo data but I can't find any steering wheel graphics to add to the overlays.

Thanks,

John
No, no graphic possible like in VBOX, but there IS a steering angle numerical overlay available. Make sure your logger is sending this channel to the SmartyCam, then add this to your SmartyCam configuration.
Attached Images  
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-01-2017, 02:12 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 137 Posts

OK, thanks Peter.

It would be nice if AiM made an overlay dev kit or something similar available. I'll ping them on that.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:38 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by johnsopa
OK, thanks Peter.

It would be nice if AiM made an overlay dev kit or something similar available. I'll ping them on that.
One of the things that makes this kit easy to use is the preloaded graphics, dashes and measures in the configuration software. This is something that has been asked for, but as one of only three devices that renders this information live to the video, real-time, the processing power limits what can be done.

I'd inquire straight to Italy, but it is on the list that's been submitted by the US importer/distributor and top dealers worldwide.

I would, for one, rather them focus on the new Analysis software that would enable bringing up a synced video window within the data analysis window. THAT would help more than an animated steering wheel right now.

For most folks, I position the camera in such a way that I can SEE the wheel movement and that, combined with the number indicating the amplitude of the steering input for comparison and trend identification, is sufficient for my needs.

It's a nice setup for the GT4, for sure.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:18 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
One of the things that makes this kit easy to use is the preloaded graphics, dashes and measures in the configuration software. This is something that has been asked for, but as one of only three devices that renders this information live to the video, real-time, the processing power limits what can be done.
Cosworth has a really nice overlay imo. They show the same info as AiM, and add steering angle, and they only use 25% of the screen real estate.

gear, steering angle, throttle position, brake position, speed and revs.
Not bad I must say.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
Cosworth has a really nice overlay imo. They show the same info as AiM, and add steering angle, and they only use 25% of the screen real estate.

gear, steering angle, throttle position, brake position, speed and revs.
Not bad I must say.
You can make the same thing for VBOX easily. Nice thing about customizable graphics.

MoTeC HD V2 can't do that. Yet.

Quick Reply: SmartyCam HD 2.1 - add steering angle to overlay?