Received 290 Likes on 87 Posts

Good luck!!
Old 08-15-2022, 07:09 PM
barrios35
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by devtec
Hi all,

Yes, yet another oil change thread for the 991.2! But I wouldn't post this unless I thought it was truly useful.

First, many thanks to those who already created videos on this. I would never have tried without you!

However, there were a few things I always questioned, and have seen propagated in the forums and videos. I always felt that the techniques presented were a bit overly complicated, and had to believe there was a more elegant way of doing this job. I wondered, did Porsche techs really go through all these steps? (Prying out the plastic frame from the trapezoidal air inlet duct everytime? Prying off all those clips... everytime? This just did not seem possible to me in terms of design and durability.)

So without further ado, I hope this helps:

https://youtu.be/CyFFrhNQybI

To summarize:
  • No need to remove plastic frame from accordion portion of air inlet duct.
  • No need to pry off all the fragile plastic mounting clips (except for one).
    • The first time I did this job, the heftier clips (composed of a Christmas tree and mounting post guide) broke despite being ultra careful.
    • I doubt they would stand up to repeated prying.
    • They have been impossible to find to replace (if anyone knows a part number, please let me know!!).
    • Lastly, prying them out is not even how they work!! You can simple depress a tab and slide the wiring harness housing off the rail portion of the mount.
  • The right fan and air inlet duct can be removed as a single unit and swung out of the way.
    • In fact, you may not even have to unmount the left fan as there may be room enough to pop off and slide out the air inlet duct.

A few more tips:
  • Place a dab of silicone lubricant in all press fit rubber grommet mounts.
    • Engine cover (8 mounting points [4 on each fan])
    • Fans (3 mounting points per fan)
    • Air Inlet Duct (2 mounting points)
  • This is key, because it will ease removal of all these parts on subsequent oil changes.
  • This first time I did this, the tabs within the rubber grommets were so stuck, the engine cover would absolutely not come out. Lifting up on the engine cover actually led to it separating from itself and getting destroyed!
  • German engineering at its finest. This cover is fragile and can easily separate. Do not force.

Hasta la vista baby. $239 down the drain, and the thrill of saving money on my first oil change up in smoke.
  • Getting this funnel really helps keep things neat

• Orient in this way to get all the oil out. Why such a detail? You need to make sure your count remains accurate in how much oil you are adding in order to avoid overfilling.

Thanks to all on rennlist. Hope these pointers help!

UPDATE:

Ok guys,

Was thinking about this more, and just had to confirm.

THERE ARE NO CLIPS TO REMOVE AT ALL.

EVERYTHING FOLDS OUT OF THE WAY.

You don't even have to unmount the left fan.

1. Raise spoiler and pull off engine cover.
2. Unmount right fan.
3. Disengage air duct inlet.
4. Unclip release cable from air duct inlet.
5. Pull up and fold both air inlet duct and fan over, granting access to the oil filter.

Air duct inlet and right fan folded over and out of the way. No wires unhooked, no clips removed. There’s just enough slack in the wiring to do the fold over shown above.

Oil filter easily accessible.

Makes so much more sense this way, has to be how the Porsche techs do it.

Enjoy your next oil change.

Just had my oil changed at the dealership. My tech pulled it all apart. Cover, both fans and air ducts. He sprayed the fans in all four corners before popping them back in. He felt his way through, without looking, while chatting to his buddy. LOL

Took him maybe all of 10-15 mins of actual work and the car sat up there for at least an hour...

Nice write up though. Makes me want to change my own oil next time.. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
DR911s (04-13-2023)
Old 08-15-2022, 07:23 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 738 Likes on 454 Posts

mine is due soon,have done it many times but wanttotry the new method
Old 11-28-2022, 09:20 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 715 Likes on 500 Posts

This is the way to do the oil change on the 991. Moving the fans still attached towards the rear and flipping the air inlet ducting. No prying of fir tree connectors needed. Quick and easy. I was always surprised at the need to disconnect wiring but obviously it’s not intended to be done that way.
Old 08-28-2023, 02:33 PM
barrios35
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Got around to it..

Thank you to all.

Refill question..

Does the green bar need to go all the way to the top? Thanks

Old 09-16-2023, 08:30 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 715 Likes on 500 Posts

Doesn’t need to be at the top. Add 200ml at a time and get somewhere between the high and low.
Old 12-02-2023, 02:01 AM
ShawooDude
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Does anyone have the part number for the zip tie clip? I've searched and can't find it.

Regarding the HellermannTyton 155-30702 clip. Is that something the dealer would sell?

Great thread, will use this approach on my next oil change. Job wasn't bad at all on my 2019 Targa GTS. Just lift the glass half way, don't take it all the way back. Makes the jobs much easier.
Old 12-02-2023, 03:37 AM
ShawooDude
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Anyone know what the part number is for the zip tie clip?

Quick Reply: 991.2 Oil Change... More Tips!