Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

$3000 fee for Euro Delivery

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 11:42 PM
BealeAss
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by juniordrums
I did european delivery a couple weeks ago. My dealer did not charge me any extra fee. They also did not make me put up the VAT money. Shop around...
Would love to know more about this as my dealer is being a bitch about putting down the VAT Tax and not returning it to me until the car gets back stateside.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:08 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,170 Likes on 998 Posts

Originally Posted by BealeAss
Would love to know more about this as my dealer is being a bitch about putting down the VAT Tax and not returning it to me until the car gets back stateside.

This is a dealer choice/issue not a PCNA issue. They have every right to charge you a VAT. They can waive it at risk but they will get screwed if you decide to keep the car in Germany for more than 6 months.

If they are a large dealer, they should have no problem with the cash flow (I think they have to pay the VAT up front).

Tell them that many other dealers are waiving the VAT and that it is easier for them to waive it. Talk to the General manager and get him on board.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:16 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
I think they have to pay the VAT up front).

Tell them that many other dealers are waiving the VAT and that it is easier for them to waive it. Talk to the General manager and get him on board.
Yes, good way to think about and approach this matter. FWIW my dealer did not hit me for VAT.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:00 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

I don't understand the big deal over VAT. You get it back once the car arrives stateside. It's only an issue if you are trying to defraud the dealer by keeping your car in Europe, which of course then you get what you deserve.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:01 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

I am doing ED + some Porsche-sponsored events in July. No additional cost from dealer, but I do have to pay the VAT deposit.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:06 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For my GT3 it would have been quite a bit of money that they would hold for several months. 30 days prior to Europe delivery plus 1 month while in Europe plus another 10 weeks till the car get's titled in the US. My dealer waived it.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:23 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It's quite a bit of coin on my CXX GTS Targa too. Dealer is holding my check and will return it once the 991 arrives stateside.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:52 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 117 Posts

Before my salesperson/manager volunteered to drop the VAT, the original plan was to make me pay for the car and VAT, but not the sales tax until the car arrived stateside. They were going to take the Illinois sales tax (>9%) out of the VAT and then refund me the difference. That would have saved me a little bit (11%) of out of pocket expense when I wrote the big check a month before delivery. It might be worth a try for those who's dealers are demanding to have you pay the VAT upfront.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:52 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 741 Posts

2 ED last year both MSRP, RS and Macan. No charge.
Paid 2000Euro for 2 months extra Insurance on RS and 6000Euro for 6 months with Macan.

About 16000 combined miles in Europe by the time the Macan travels home June 16.
For the second Ed the dealer didn't even bother asking for VAT and for the first one they never deposited the check.

I was tempted to order another one for when we drop off the Macan but running out of Skymiles and money and vacation days ;-)

Keep in mind, ED used to be $4500 in 2010. Was planning to do last years' trip back in 2010 but they built my 997RS in Feb 2010 and there was 2' of snow at the Ring...
Old 05-13-2016, 11:28 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,170 Likes on 998 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
I don't understand the big deal over VAT. You get it back once the car arrives stateside. It's only an issue if you are trying to defraud the dealer by keeping your car in Europe, which of course then you get what you deserve.
This is purely about the time value of money. Don't give anybody an interest free loan. It doesn't matter what your net worth is.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:41 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by mb1
Before my salesperson/manager volunteered to drop the VAT, the original plan was to make me pay for the car and VAT, but not the sales tax until the car arrived stateside. They were going to take the Illinois sales tax (>9%) out of the VAT and then refund me the difference. That would have saved me a little bit (11%) of out of pocket expense when I wrote the big check a month before delivery. It might be worth a try for those who's dealers are demanding to have you pay the VAT upfront.
Wrong math. Would have saved me the 9% on the initial payment.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:36 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
This is purely about the time value of money. Don't give anybody an interest free loan. It doesn't matter what your net worth is.
There is no loss of time value if the dealer doesn't cash the check. And even if they do, what does that amount to? 1.5% on $15k for about one month? Now, if you don't bring your car back, the dealer owes $15k. I'm on the side of the dealer on this one.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:03 AM
roup1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BealeAss
I talked to a few different dealers before settling on the best deal on my upcoming Macan S. Here are the different answers that I received regarding VAT deposit:

#1- we need the VAT deposit and will deposit funds and refund to you when car is back stateside.
#2- we will hold VAT check and tear it up once the car is back stateside.
#3 - we will cover the VAT, no need to collect.

I ended up buying from #1 as they had the best price. After pushing a bit, they ended up acquiescing and waived the deposit "based on my high tier 1 credit"!

Seems to me that this is more of a local dealer policy/procedure issue and not PCNA.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:39 AM
loungin
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts

My dealer was super nice. I was incredulous when I heard that he could order me a GT4 at MSRP and cover the ED cost. At first it seemed like I had to cover the VAT. Then about a month before pickup he said they would cover it and they trust me not to sell the car before returning it at the end of ED. I kept wondering if the car was real lol. But we're driving it now and feel extremely fortunate to be able to get it.

Originally Posted by roup1
I talked to a few different dealers before settling on the best deal on my upcoming Macan S. Here are the different answers that I received regarding VAT deposit:

#1- we need the VAT deposit and will deposit funds and refund to you when car is back stateside.
#2- we will hold VAT check and tear it up once the car is back stateside.
#3 - we will cover the VAT, no need to collect.

I ended up buying from #1 as they had the best price. After pushing a bit, they ended up acquiescing and waived the deposit "based on my high tier 1 credit"!

Seems to me that this is more of a local dealer policy/procedure issue and not PCNA.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:05 AM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't believe the dealer has to pay the VAT but is on the hook if you don't return the car for US shipment. Not much of a risk since if you try to sell the car in Europe the VAT would kick in plus I don't know if you have a title while in Europe. If the dealer knows you less chance getting charged for the VAT. I have purchased a car from mine before so they know me. Any one know more on this.

Quick Reply: $3000 fee for Euro Delivery