Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

Temp Front Plate - Unfriendly Countries

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 10:06 AM
juniordrums
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got off the phone with Erwin Gasser, at the Swiss Consulate in Atlanta. He told me that it would be acceptable under Swiss law for our cars to have the back plate mounted, while the front plate was kept inside the car with us, preferably on the dashboard right-hand side. I explained to him the temporary mount provided by Porsche, and he assured me that is more than enough to be legal. He is going to find the exact legal verbiage and send it to me via email in the next few hours...
Old 04-18-2016, 12:52 PM
juniordrums
Advanced

here is the email I just received...

Dear Sir,

I just checked with a competent office in Switzerland (Cantonal Motor Vehicle-Registration Agency). You need a number plate in the front as well, but it can be attached on a provisionary way to your car. (Tape etc.). Just make sure that it cannot detach and check from time to time, if it is still there. It has not to be “screwed” to the car. The company selling the car to you will know how to do and they should be aware of the rules in neighboring Switzerland.

I wish you a great trip through Europe and enjoy your new car.

With my best regards from Atlanta,

Erwin Gasser
Consul
Consulate General of Switzerland
Two Midtown Plaza – Suite 1000
1349 W. Peachtree Street N.W., Atlanta, GA 30309, USA
Phone: +1 (404) 870 2006
Fax: +1 (404) 870 2011
Erwin.Gasser@eda.admin.ch
www.eda.admin.ch/atlanta
www.swissemb.org
THINK SWISS - BRAINSTORM THE FUTURE
Old 04-19-2016, 01:26 AM
roup1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've driven numerous BMW ED cars through Switzerland and have never had a problem. The BMW cars have the front plate mounted using double sided tape. And keep in mind that I had to go through border control driving in and out of the country. You shouldn't have any issues.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:21 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Never had a problem in Swizterland with 2008 and 2014 BMW EDs. Plates are taped on as mentioned above. I don't think it is worth worrying about.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:26 AM
juniordrums
Advanced

Originally Posted by Accel Junky
Never had a problem in Swizterland with 2008 and 2014 BMW EDs. Plates are taped on as mentioned above. I don't think it is worth worrying about.
I haven't had a problem this week, with quite a bit of Switzerland driving. Although I did find out the issue is NOT how the plate is mounted.

The temporary mount is off-center. That is the issue. They prefer the plate centered, so when the camera takes your photo for speeding or passing through a border checkpoint, it gets both the plate and your face.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:31 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by juniordrums
I haven't had a problem this week, with quite a bit of Switzerland driving. Although I did find out the issue is NOT how the plate is mounted.

The temporary mount is off-center. That is the issue. They prefer the plate centered, so when the camera takes your photo for speeding or passing through a border checkpoint, it gets both the plate and your face.

^ This. So you're not getting stopped or hassled though?
Old 04-26-2016, 06:37 PM
otisdog
Pro

Juniordrums, thanks for posting the info from the Swiss consul...have 3 nights in Grindelwald booked.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:55 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by otisdog
Juniordrums, thanks for posting the info from the Swiss consul...have 3 nights in Grindelwald booked.
Spent a night there during my European Delivery adventure a couple of weeks ago. Stayed at the Belvedere Hotel, if that helps. Very nice accommodations. The Jungfraujoch was pretty cool, but keep in mind that it is crazy expensive. ($180/person).
Old 04-27-2016, 01:15 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
Thanks
Don't forget the Bavarian and Austrian Alps: very pretty and locals can be friendlier than the Swiss in my experience (better bier in Bayern!)

Quick Reply: Temp Front Plate - Unfriendly Countries