Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

Temp Front Plate - Unfriendly Countries

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 05:52 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Temp Front Plate - Unfriendly Countries

Do I recall reading that there are some countries that are unfriendly to temporary/offset front plates? If so, I'd like to know which ones to avoid. TIA
Old 04-14-2016, 09:58 AM
juniordrums
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While filing out my paperwork, I asked the folks at Porsche about it. I was told that it is in-fact a legal requirement to have the plate bolted on. I was also told that it would take an unbelievably horrible police office to ever say anything about it. Especially when you tell them the car is shipping to the USA, where the front plate is not required.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:45 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Hey JuniorDrums, I read in the forums that Switzerland will fine drivers without drilled front bumpers but am unable to substantiate.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:25 PM
juniordrums
Advanced

I am not sure how they will be able to tell it's not drilled, as you drive by them at a legal speed. Like I said, you have to sign the paperwork with Porsche which states you know it is required, but you have decided to do it anyways. The guys from Porsche say it's extremely unlikely anyone would have an issue. My plan is to have my paperwork showing it is an ED car, and explain that it is being shipped to the USA shortly. My honest feeling is I will never have that discussion with the police anyways...
Old 04-14-2016, 03:03 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

My understanding is that non-drilled plates are off center. Easily observed by the local Swiss police and not permitted since they can't be photographed by photo radar. IIRC the forums talk about this being a ticketable offense but I'm still trying to verify. It'll obviously impact my itinerary.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:57 PM
aigle836
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did Euro Delivery in December for 5 weeks. I had the tow hook bracket. Did Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, The Netherlands, Belgium and France. Was stopped at a few borders with the increased security measures where the police and custom checked the registration, insurance, etc. No issues.

At the Delivery in Zuffenhausen, the Porsche consultant asked the countries I was going to drive into. When I mentioned Switzerland, he said that they were going to drill the bumper and installed the fixed bracket. He said that I might not be able to cross the border into Switzerland with a temporary bracket, and if I did do, I might be stopped by police and they might even impound the car.

So I scratch Switzerland from my itinery and used the temporary tow hook bracket without any issue. But they do make you sign a release as it is not legal pretty much anywhere in Europe and if you meet a "tuff" police you still could get a ticket.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:11 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

^ that. Thanks aigle386. With your confirmation I'll avoid Switzerland.

Virgin bumper > Swiss alps

Where'd you hit in France?
Old 04-16-2016, 10:34 AM
aigle836
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
^ that. Thanks aigle386. With your confirmation I'll avoid Switzerland.

Virgin bumper > Swiss alps

Where'd you hit in France?
Spent the Holidays in Chamonix. Was nice but not much snow.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:28 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by aigle836
Spent the Holidays in Chamonix. Was nice but not much snow.
Thanks
Old 04-16-2016, 05:13 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

Has anyone had actual experience taking a temporary (non-drilled) plate into Switzerland? Switzerland is a large part of my ED itinerary, and I've asked Porsche not to drill.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:08 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 117 Posts

I had my front plate drilled, so I can't answer that specific question, but I can recount my very unpleasant experiences with the Swiss border control in and out of the country last week. On the way in, my 21 year old son made the mistake of taking a picture at the border. The patrol saw him with the camera and you'd have thought that he committed some major crime. They took his phone, examined it, made him erase the photo and just gave us an extremely hard time for a few minutes. On the way out, the patrol guy was super unpleasant and wouldn't answer my questions about driving stickers for France, although he clearly must have known the answer, as he was standing on the border between CH and France. It's not the least bit hard to imagine that they'd give you a hard time about plates.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:26 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ferrarisimo
Has anyone had actual experience taking a temporary (non-drilled) plate into Switzerland? Switzerland is a large part of my ED itinerary, and I've asked Porsche not to drill.
I'm getting real-time feedback that you'll get ticketed quickly for non-drilled plates in Switzerland.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:05 PM
loungin
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
I'm getting real-time feedback that you'll get ticketed quickly for non-drilled plates in Switzerland.
It doesn't seem like BMW ED folks have a problem going through Switzerland. They mount with 3M tape. Would that work? I don't think you can see the difference unless you look closely and 3M mounting tape is permanent anyway but removable in the way emblems are removable.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:22 PM
juniordrums
Advanced

You can visit the web site for the Switzerland "department of transportation." It sounds like you can get by without the front plate, if the car is registered in an area than doesn't require a front plate. To be safe, I am going into the Swiss consulate in atlanta monday.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:41 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's worth looking into the front plate not being drilled and driving through Switzerland. I'm picking up my Spyder June 4 and will have the toe hook mount. I plan on driving through Switzerland. Since its not registered in Switzerland I would not expect issues. But I would like feedback from folks who have driven through Switzerland.

Quick Reply: Temp Front Plate - Unfriendly Countries