Notices
Events A place to announce events of interest

Porsches to Ohio: July 26-28

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 11:55 PM
mpd425
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice meeting you, hope you had a nice drive home.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:23 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,025 Likes on 614 Posts

Some P2O pics. The four Rennlist drive-ins from the school and some colors I found interesting.
Attached Images        
Old 07-31-2013, 04:28 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

I see the labels didn't upload.
Ziegelrot Metallic '83
Cassis Red '87
Amazon Green '91
Champaign Yellow 356 (I know this guy - he is second owner since new)
'72 Gemini Blue
Just some lousy iPhone pics to match the weather. We'll be back, hoping for nicer conditions...
Old 08-01-2013, 01:57 PM
Plyman438
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's up with all the umbrellas? Pretty town though. Too bad the weather didn't cooperate. I attended the event when it was at Oxford, and enjoyed it.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:40 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Plyman438
What's up with all the umbrellas? Pretty town though. Too bad the weather didn't cooperate. I attended the event when it was at Oxford, and enjoyed it.
Plenty of hotels in the Mansfield area and if its scheduled on a non-race weekend, it could be a lot more fun, IMO. There's plenty of room at Mid Ohio to do the car show there, for that matter but no restaurants at the track (snack bar).
Nothing against Granville and we'll return next year probably but I think there's a better opportunity an hour NW for even more fun.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:45 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
Well, it was pouring. Rained the whole way down and rained almost the entire time we were there. It cleared in the afternoon but we had a wedding to attend, so we missed any good weather.
My personal belief is that as the event evolves, I can't see a reason not to move it closer to Mid Ohio and include an opportunity for some track time on one of the best road courses in the country.
Plenty of hotels in the Mansfield area and if its scheduled on a non-race weekend, it could be a lot more fun, IMO. There's plenty of room at Mid Ohio to do the car show there, for that matter but no restaurants at the track (snack bar).
Nothing against Granville and we'll return next year probably but I think there's a better opportunity an hour NW for even more fun.
Mid Ohio is usually booked at least a year in advance and the club races will always get bumped for F1, etc.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:48 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If I recall, P2O was always more of a social event than a sporting event, so (logic aside) I doubt they'll get Mid Ohio involved. But you never know....

This is our last year in Ohio and I missed this year's and last year's event in Granville. We enjoyed it when it was in Oxford, really amazing how much it grew over the years. Hope it stays a good event for years to come.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:58 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Karen England
Mid Ohio is usually booked at least a year in advance and the club races will always get bumped for F1, etc.
I guess that's where planning ahead would come in. They have vintage races, motorcycle races, F1 and DEs, but not every weekend is full to the point where they wouldn't welcome hundreds of Porsches, I don't think. Byers could still be involved, since its marginally closer to them than Penske or Porsche of North Olmstead.
My point, for us, is there's really not much to do in Granville. It's close enough for us to drive down in the morning, eat a so-so breakfast and leave at lunch time, but I think it could be more fun than it seemed. Of course, the weather did suck and it was our first attempt, so maybe I'm off base.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:03 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

I guess that's where planning ahead would come in. They have vintage races, motorcycle races, F1 and DEs, but not every weekend is full to the point where they wouldn't welcome hundreds of Porsches, I don't think. Byers could still be involved, since its marginally closer to them than Penske or Porsche of North Olmstead.
My point, for us, is there's really not much to do in Granville. It's close enough for us to drive down in the morning, eat a so-so breakfast and leave at lunch time, but I think it could be more fun than it seemed. Of course, the weather did suck and it was our first attempt, so maybe I'm off base.
I guess, my point was, it would have to be a different weekend every year - trying to keep it the same so that everyone can plan on it. Also, it costs money to rent MO and the goal of P2O is to raise money for charity. Please don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to have it at MO, but don't think it will ever happen......
Old 08-05-2013, 09:16 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Karen England
I guess, my point was, it would have to be a different weekend every year - trying to keep it the same so that everyone can plan on it. Also, it costs money to rent MO and the goal of P2O is to raise money for charity. Please don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to have it at MO, but don't think it will ever happen......
That makes sense, I suppose. I guess the rain just exaggerated how little there was to do there (to me) after looking at the cars. Still nice seeing all the cars.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:08 AM
DanL993
button queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That makes sense, I suppose. I guess the rain just exaggerated how little there was to do there (to me) after looking at the cars. Still nice seeing all the cars.
Even without the rain these are a 1/2 day experience for me. The rain made it difficult to really look at the cars, talk to the owners (many of whom sit in lounge chairs near their cars....in better weather), peruse the vendors....and stay for lunch. I'm not a track rat, and going up to the Mid-Ohio region means NOTHIN' is anywhere nearby. Granville seems to fit...at least for me.

That said, Ron is clearly a track guy with those cars of his, and maybe he'd appreciate help tacking on an "at extra cost" track experience somewhere in the weekend agenda. Those DEs do take a lot of work, time and $$s.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:15 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DanL993
Even without the rain these are a 1/2 day experience for me. The rain made it difficult to really look at the cars, talk to the owners (many of whom sit in lounge chairs near their cars....in better weather), peruse the vendors....and stay for lunch. I'm not a track rat, and going up to the Mid-Ohio region means NOTHIN' is anywhere nearby. Granville seems to fit...at least for me.

That said, Ron is clearly a track guy with those cars of his, and maybe he'd appreciate help tacking on an "at extra cost" track experience somewhere in the weekend agenda. Those DEs do take a lot of work, time and $$s.
That all makes sense, but you have Lexington, Ontario and Mansfield all close to MO. I'm not sure any of those places would be willing to close a Main Street like Granville does, but Mansfield is most likely, since they already do it for car shows, soap box derby, etc. I can't argue downtown Mansfield is nicer than downtown Granville. If you pose it as a 1/2 day car show, Granville is fine as it is. More, probably not for us. We'll just plan accordingly in the future.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:27 AM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

+997 I HATE umbrellas, so I was pretty soaked by the time I left. Friday was absolutely GORGEOUS!!
Originally Posted by DanL993
The rain made it difficult to really look at the cars, talk to the owners (many of whom sit in lounge chairs near their cars....in better weather),
I agree, a member had requested to meet me and of course was no where near the car when I got there...........
That all makes sense, but you have Lexington, Ontario and Mansfield all close to MO. I'm not sure any of those places would be willing to close a Main Street like Granville does, but Mansfield is most likely, since they already do it for car shows, soap box derby, etc. I can't argue downtown Mansfield is nicer than downtown Granville. If you pose it as a 1/2 day car show, Granville is fine as it is. More, probably not for us. We'll just plan accordingly in the future.
Mixing P2O and MO is like trying to breed an elephant and a chettah - they are totally separate animals.

I heard the wives were having a spa day at the hotel............

What activities would you like to see at P2O?

Quick Reply: Porsches to Ohio: July 26-28