For Sale Ads - (Member to Member FS/WTB/Free)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Silver Rocket
Mark this thread as Unsold

For Sale: FS - '87 951 project car

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 01:27 PM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FS - '87 951 project car

Asking $6k. Will not part car or separate spares or tools from the sale. Car is located Palm Bay, Florida. Thanks!

Hello all,
A while back I started this thread because I was thinking about selling my 951 project. I had second thoughts about selling figuring I'd find time to finish it up. Over that time we had our second son and moved to a new house that sadly has a two car garage. Needless to say I have even less time now and the new house is very close to salt water so I'm finally coming to terms that having (2) project cars in the garage and our mercedes and new tacoma outside in the Florida sun and salt just isn't a good idea. So the 'bachelor cars' as my wife loves to call them are going to be sold.

Car 87 951 guards red on black w/ script seats, open diff, car doesn't have many factory options. Car has 105k on the clock. No accidents I know of. Car hasn't been fired up since a top/front end rebuild (I've cranked it to verify oil pressure builds up, which it does fine but car needs SW for fuel). Looking at the price of cheaper fuel management systems I'd think it'd probably be easier to go w/ a Mega Squirt system or the like rather than a set of custom chips.....boy time have changed since the 3k price tag on a tec3...wow I'm getting old. Read on...

The good:
VR Stg II kit w/ quick spool...back when there was a quick spool (0 miles)
Tial 38 (0 miles)
Full ceramichrome coated exhaust inside/out from head to DP (0 miles) *didn't do hotside of turbo
Ceramichrome coated water pipes and heatshields (0 miles)
Rebuilt head (0 miles)
Belts/rollers/seals/races on the front end (0 miles)
Lindsey hard pipes (0 miles)
All new hoses (H20 pressure leakdown actually gained pressure overnight w/ temp change) (0 miles)
All new AWAB hose clamps (high quality marine stainless stuff that does allow hoses to go through the teeth grooves..most are $5 a piece)
OEM motor mounts (0 miles)
Al. griffen radiator (0 miles)
Professionally cleaned stock IC (0 miles)
New radiator/IC mounts/HW (0 miles)
MLS HG (0 miles)
Raceware head studs (0 miles)
Zimms rebuilt WP, new HW, t stat, turbo t stat, turbo t stat housing (0 miles)
RX-7 oil cooler done correctly (t-stat pulled, t stat bypass plugged so oil is 100% of the time routed through the cooler, all earl's hoses and AN fittings) (0 miles on everything but the cooler itself...but had it flushed. Ohh and car does still have AC!)
Rebuilt PS pump (0 miles)
Laust Peterson EGT probe kit (0 miles)
Laust Peterson vacuum manifold (0 miles)
All new hose techniques vacuum hoses (0 miles)
Rebuilt throttle body (0 miles)
Ice Shark full boat light cannons (0 miles)
Ice Shark battery cables (0 miles)
New sensors: water temp at turbo/fans/knock/TPS (0 miles)
Bosch boost gauge and EGT gauge in an A pillar setup (0 miles)
Turbo WP (0 miles)
Expansion tank (0 miles)
Saiko Michi catch can (0 miles)
Larts fuel lines (0 miles)
Clutch master/slave/lines (0 miles)
Resealed oil cooler housing w/ new OPRV (0 miles)
Lindsey Adjustable FPR (0 miles)
New hood weather stripping (0 miles)
I'm sure there's more...but this is off of my head at midnight

Other low milage/go fast bits that have miles on them:
968 M030 sways F/R
Huntley adjustable coilovers in the rear w/ #350, helpers, and stock t bars (I'd reindex them to bring the rear ride hieght down a bit)
Custom short shift (at the shifter...done on a mill)
Lindsey BOV (the leaky one HA!)
#55 injectors
Lindsey fuel rail gauge
Deleted evaporator
Deleted cruise control
Deleted alarm (this may or maynot cause a problem down the road....I remember installing a jumper per some RL posts but I've had it in the back of my mind as a place to look if I don't get spark when trying to fire it up for the first time)
Bursch TP (rusty and dinged but flows better than a stock cat)
RUF pedals (the real ones)
RUF wheels 17x8x10 (yes the 10 inchers in the rear!). There have kuhmos on them that have good tread but have been sitting for a while so they may/maynot be flat spotted beyond use.
Relocated heater valve to the 968/S2 location
<5k on the reference sensors
968 heater/blower motor cover
A fare amount weather stripping has been replaced
I'm sure there's more....I'll need to dig through the receipt file

Other stuff:
Extra set of phonies (late offset/straight...w/ some dry rotted yokos on em)
Lots and lots of new spares: gaskets, seals, sensors etc...
spare bellow headers, 2 cat backs (stock pipes w/ aftermarket mufflers)
New jug of swepco for the trans.
oSome 951 specific tools: FW lock, TB tensioning gauge (not the factory one...guy who makes them's name slips my mind right now. Hes a lister though.
There's definately more to add here...I have a lot of parts I've amassed over the years. (see pics)

What plans were to complete the car:
Since I have #55 injectors I haven't put the computers back in yet: The VR ST2kit came with chips for 72# injectors....I was wanting to upgrade from just chips to the chip board with some base maps for the #55s. Again since then I now see standalone stuff has come down in prices considerably. Needs 1 90 degree BOV hose from turbohoses.com...I cut the one I had too short trying to get the BOV in there. Car needs front bumper installed...I have the stock original (all lights/signals included but it's cracked towards the bottom but repairable...I also have an AIR fiberglass (new, never mounted w/ a crappy guards red paint job on it) front bumper that could be installed. I though the AIR part was a bit too race car quality after I bought it so I wasn't sure which I'd ultimately put on the car at completion. Car is missing the short fuel line from the fuel rail to the damper...I'm pretty sure I have one in the spares pile that has the old SFR fancy clamps on it but since the other engine compartment lines were replaced I'd replace this one also. Eventually I was planning on putting coilovers in the front and reindexing the rear t bars to round out the suspension....but now I'm getting into the skies the limit stuff.

The bad:
Obviously the car needs to be final assembled. See what I wrote about the paint above and pictures. The typical ~25 year old 944 stuff...cracked dash, separated hatch glass, torn bolster in DS seat, rear seats were deleted but haven't bought the carpet set that covers the exposed floor yet. Also moving the car around the other day I notice the exterior door latching mechinism was slow/needed some help to return to the nominal position on both doors. And of course this is a 951 so there are always things to fix so be sure that the more stones you uncover the more they'll be to fix...that's 25 year old p-car ownsership for ya.

Documents: I have the title in hand and it's clean (no rebuild or salvage status). I have all receipts for the car since my ownership (purchased in '02). Tallied up receipts this am and I have $14k and some change in receipts during my ownership. Figure ~$3k of that was indy shops doing the work (ie parts and labor) and toss out an additional $1k for parts that have since been upgraded (Lindsey boost enhancer, Guru chips, K&N air box delete, those old 'fancy clamps' SFR fuel lines, etc...) though most of those parts are included in the 'spares' pile. That leaves ~$10k in new (noted as 0 miles in the post above) or <25k miles on them parts. All receipts are from reputable vendors like Lindsey, SFR, paragon, pelican, Ians, etc... Tally doesn't include original $11k purchase price or the price I paid for the Vitesse kit as I bought that, new/uninstalled, from a 'lister that decided to sell his car prior to installation. I do have his original receipt and PW from vitesse but again the chipset and SW is set up for #72 injectors and I have #55s on the car. Tally does not include purchase price for the RUF wheels as I got those off of a private sale on Ebay way back when ($1100 + shipping IIRC). Digging through the receipts I see where at 102k miles on the car I did have a leak down test performed by the Werkshop (p-car only indy shop in town) and the result was <2% on all cylinders. As stated above I've since pulled the head, decked, checked, rebuilt it and sealed it back up w/ a MLS gasket so these are not valid current results...but this may give someone a little piece of mind regarding the sleeves and rings as the test was 2k miles ago on the clock.

pics:
Originally Posted by cheetah chrome

Last edited by cheetah chrome; 05-27-2012 at 01:33 PM. Reason: added price to first line of post.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:14 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,557 Likes on 917 Posts

WOW!!! what a deal GLWS
Mike
Old 05-27-2012, 04:21 PM
White_951
Rennlist Member

I'll take this...PM sent...
Old 05-27-2012, 07:39 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Damn, was just in Vero for 2 months! Wish you'd posted earlier. GL.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:46 PM
piperporsche180944
Burning Brakes

PM sent
Old 05-30-2012, 11:52 AM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

Car is potentially spoken for pending sale/pick up this weekend. I will post if the car is available when/if the transaction goes through. Sorry for the delay in some PMs...there was an overwhelming interest in the car. Thanks.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:35 PM
944_S_TYPE
Three Wheelin'

Extra set of phonies (late offset/straight...w/ some dry rotted yokos on em)

SENT YOU A pm asking for these a few days ago.... And that Rennfest Mag...

Quick Reply: For Sale: FS - '87 951 project car