Notices

CPO car arrives needing repairs, dealership refuses to fix

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 10:57 AM
TurboPan
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guessed it... it is definitely in the thousands of dollars for the necessary repairs. That's a pretty bitter pill to swallow after just shelling out some big coin for a car that was supposed to be 'good as new'.
I always believe in trying the nice approach first... it may be a bad move, but my rule is to assume people are decent human beings, and then let them prove me wrong. In this case, the salesman ignored me. Then the sales manager and operations manager gave me (and my local dealer) the runaround for about three weeks. Additionally, the general manager did the same thing, as well as the customer service rep from Porsche of North America. I gave them every opportunity possible for them to make things right and to treat me the way customers should be treated. To say that I am disappointed in a brand that I have respected for such a long time is an understatement.

The sad thing about all of this is that the car was a present to myself for hitting a milestone birthday. I figured that on this occasion I should get something besides a colonoscopy. Turns out the Porsche purchase was the bigger pain in the butt!
Old 11-20-2017, 01:36 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Keep us all up to date on this. When the dust settles would love to know what dealership this is.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:59 PM
eldy80
Rennlist Member

Sounds like something Porsche of Livermore would do
Old 11-20-2017, 06:29 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, sorry to hear about your experience. Don't let this discourage you from the Porsche ownership experience. Many here including myself have plenty of positive sales and service experiences with our dealers.

If numbers were fudged on the CPO checklist, PCNA should really be involved. They have two authorized dealers with discrepancies on the condition of the vehicle under the same CPO guideline. You got it in writing. Whether brakes are covered under CPO doesn't matter. The very least, PCNA needs to look into this and send a technical engineer out to inspect your car. While they are at it, they should goodwill your brakes. You might need to find the right contact, area manager, regional manger, head of aftersales, head of CPO, etc. Try Linkedin. A customer service rep like one you talked to is just a low level phone operator whose job is to document incoming complains, and maybe have some authority to diffuse some minor problems. You need to go higher up. Someone with the budget and authority. A negative post on Facebook might escalate things as well.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:21 AM
TurboPan
Advanced

That's some great advice, thanks so much. Initially I stayed off of social media because my hopes were that the dealership would realize that treating customers like this was wrong and change their ways, but considering I've had the car for two months now and things still aren't resolved, I guess it's time to take the gloves off.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:13 PM
TurboPan
Advanced

Well, I got another response from Porsche North America... here's what they said:
(FYI the 'compensation' that the dealership offered was about 40% of what the repair costs are going to be)

I am following up with you in response to your recent social media contact. We received contact from you via twitter and via Facebook.

After further review of your situation, our position remains unchanged. Porsche Cars North America takes great interest in the sales activities of our dealerships and we have documented your concern here fully.

It is my understanding that the dealership has offered some type of compensation and this would be the extent of what will be offered. If you are dissatisfied with this resolution, I apologize and advise that you continue working with the dealership towards your desired outcome.

I do regret the circumstances that have prompted your contact, but I appreciate you allowing us the opportunity to respond.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:03 PM
fastcars914
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Ha, wow. That's really all I can say. I'm quite shocked at their lack of action.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:49 PM
TurboPan
Advanced

Yeah, essentially what they're telling me is that they have no customer service and there is a complete failure in regulating their dealerships.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:52 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

No mention of the discrepancies on the brakes? Sounds like the CPO checklist has zero integrity.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:08 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

this is typical of many stories when dealing with head office and dealerships for complaints. I suggest making a you tube and show the invoices, check list, even a caliper on the disks and explain the story. Otherwise you will have to wait for your day in court.
I like your comment about the Porsche being a bigger pain in the *** than colonoscopy
good luck and sorry for your issues.
I always check cars in person before buying as I have heard similar stories many times before.
I suggest you fix it (at an indy,) save the bills for court and start enjoying your car. These really are great cars although I prefer the sports cars myself.
I see no reason to keep the names private.
again good luck.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:39 AM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,206 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by ClintonM3
No mention of the discrepancies on the brakes? Sounds like the CPO checklist has zero integrity.
I suspect this is specific to the dealership.

At least I hope so...
Old 11-23-2017, 12:10 PM
fastcars914
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

^Unfortunately, it looks like because of PNA's reaction, whether or not it is dealer specific, they won't do anything...
OP- Might want to include that in your talks.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:14 PM
TurboPan
Advanced

Yeah, that's probably the most disappointing thing about this whole mess is the fact that even confronted with all the documented evidence, PNA did nothing except refer me back to the dealership.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:05 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Originally Posted by TurboPan
Yeah, that's probably the most disappointing thing about this whole mess is the fact that even confronted with all the documented evidence, PNA did nothing except refer me back to the dealership.
May be you can email both documents to a Porsche Exec directly, like I said, try Linkedin. Or post both docs on Facebook. PCNA is dropping the ball on this IMO.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:39 PM
TurboPan
Advanced

Great idea on the LinkedIn stuff, I sent a bunch of messages and requests to any Porsche executives I could find on LinkedIn and Facebook last week. For the most part I was ignored, but two people did get back to me. Here's what happened:
One guy got back to me fairly quickly on LinkedIn messenger. He wasn't much help though, aside from telling me what I already had on the CarFax.
A second guy called me the next day at 6:54am. He then proceeded to tell me that my car shouldn't have been CPO'd because it was 'too old' (even though if you go to Porsche's website there were 63 cars my age or older listed), and then start to argue with me when I told him that it was indeed a Certified car. He had mentioned his name and I had his number from my caller ID when I answered the phone, but once he got agitated I asked him for his name again. He then backed off, told me he didn't want to get involved, and refused to give me his name. I thanked him for his time, and then hung up. I did find it interesting that someone who called himself a "Porsche Brand Ambassador" was unfamiliar with the CPO rules, as a search on the website should tell you that there are plenty of cars available as CPO that aren't just a couple of years old.
I also sent a message to Klaus Zellmer on Facebook, but as of today the message is still unread.

Quick Reply: CPO car arrives needing repairs, dealership refuses to fix