Notices

Porsche CPO - Is a pre-purchase inspection silly?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2022, 04:14 PM
nilrents
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Question Porsche CPO - Is a pre-purchase inspection silly?

I'm looking at a CPO vehicle and I'm wondering if a pre-purchase inspection outside of the dealer is silly?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 07-15-2022, 05:33 PM
Skits2112
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default You Must

IMHO, please don’t be fooled by dealer BS CPO, so called ….”it’s got to be perfect cause we said so”.

These cars are robust and near bullet proof when properly maintained but hidden issues will destroy your wallet in seconds.

Find the best recommended Indy you can get. NEVER trust a dealer, Porsche or otherwise.
Have an indy that knows 996s specifically do full PPI.
The following 7 users liked this post by Skits2112:
Bahman (07-22-2022), Cyclman (02-24-2024), DarienA (07-18-2022), George from MD (02-25-2024), McLaren997 (07-19-2022), nilrents (07-15-2022), Wolpertinger (03-02-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-15-2022, 05:48 PM
nilrents
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

@Skits2112, that's sound logic which had not occurred to me. I've never purchased a used vehicle before, so thank you.

I'm looking at a 2016 911 GT3RS.
Old 07-15-2022, 09:40 PM
Skits2112
Track Day

Mine is a ‘99 C2, so a different animal than a ‘16 GT3 but it seems to me all the more reason to get an independent guy/gal that really specializes in 991s considering that it’s a substantially larger investment. Good luck with the purchase and try to make sure to get the word only from a pro who doesn’t have a stake in either selling or buying the car you want.
The following users liked this post:
nilrents (07-15-2022)
Old 07-16-2022, 12:41 AM
othertbone
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 209 Posts

Another recent thread about the lack of real inspections and repairs of CPO
Old 07-16-2022, 12:55 AM
LeadFootLad
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I echo what others have said:yes, Inspect and don't ever regret doing so

Just a little over a year ago, I purchased what was a 2018 model year CPO from a third party dealership. The previous owner purchased as a CPO from a Porsche dealership and sold it less than a year later. I'm aware this voided the additional CPO warranty but the car was/is still covered under the new vehicle warranty for another year. Since the first time I brought it into a Porsche service center to program a new key to the car to has been a mind blowing saga. Many of the specifics might not apply to your situation, but I must say the most shocking part of all of it has been the manner in which Porsche USA has handled the entire fiasco. Denying valid warranty repairs (and quite minor items) forcing my to go so far as arbitration. Which I won and PCNA was ordered to provide me the service center repair history and repair the car, but now after picking up the car from the repair last week, I've discovered possible issues. (to post for feedback is why I signed on to Renn today and say your post first.)

There are many very specific and unusual parts to my scenario, but the most disappointing was the PCNA (Porsche Cars North America) refusal to cooperate or even openly communicate regarding the vehicle history, both before being CPO and after. To this day refusing to provide, confirm or deny any question I have asked surrounding an internal flag they have placed on the car (a Blocking Indicator) but failed to disclose when I called to verify the vehicle status with PCNA prior to purchase. This sort of Porsche internal Carfax has different definitions (stolen car, rebuilt car, warranty issue and others) and it prevents Porsche service centers from servicing the car. And dealership service centers do not see it as their responsibility to sort out. They treat every car with a Blocking Indicator as if it is some sort of pariah, not even allowing an appointment be made for service nor vehicle recall servicing. Nada. I was also surprised to find that a car can have previous body work / accidents and still be considered for CPO. Depending merely on whether the frame was bent or not. Leaving the quality of the repair subjective. At the same time PCNA states they are partners with Carfax and doesn't take responsibility for missing info on the report by saying it's the dealership service centers responsibility to report all the service info. Even when PCNA has every little service detail on every car, stating its not their fault if not reported to their "corporate partner" Carfax.

During my convoluted saga, multiple lawyers specializing in auto litigation said "you'd be shocked to hear the lengths automakers and dealerships will go to and deny any wrongdoing"
Skits2112 (07-17-2022)
Old 07-17-2022, 03:14 PM
Skits2112
Track Day

@LeadFootLad
shame you had to go through such nonsense. It just doesn’t take that much work to do the right thing and I’m disgusted when folks and/or organizations will go to greater lengths to be inefficient and unsupportive rather than completing a task properly that they’re paid to do. I’ve always believed CARFAX was a scam org anyway, IMO.
Old 07-17-2022, 05:46 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,974 Likes on 2,051 Posts

Get a PPI. I bought a CPO 997 and was lied to on multiple accounts at a very reputable dealer. Both on mechanical and cosmetic items. I won’t buy a car again without seeing it in person or getting a PPI.
nilrents (08-02-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 12:59 AM
BlackBo
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have purchased two CPOs, very expensive cars. Both times the cars had issues the dealer overlooked, or simply did not care and certified anyway.
nilrents (08-02-2022)
Old 02-24-2024, 12:28 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,074 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Get a PPI. I bought a CPO 997 and was lied to on multiple accounts at a very reputable dealer. Both on mechanical and cosmetic items. I won’t buy a car again without seeing it in person or getting a PPI.
Great recommendation on doing a PPI on a CPO car. I dug up this old thread because I'm being asked more and more about the need for pre-purchase inspections. We've gone as far as to make a video on buying a used Porsche and also put together information on Porsche Pre-Purchase Inspections.

I'd still recommend doing a PPI on a CPO car as they are likely to find issues you can then have the selling dealer correct under the CPO warranty.

By that same token, any car that is close to coming off warranty should have some sort of comprehensive inspection carried out. I've done this with each of the last three CPO cars I've purchase (not all Porsche) and I've been able to have some potentially expensive repairs covered under warranty including cam cover reseals and module replacement.
Old 02-28-2024, 01:37 AM
cwayne
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's from a reputable Porsche dealer, I wouldn't do a PPI. I've purchased two CPOs recently and haven't had any issues with either car. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised I didn't have any issues. I feel like Porsche dealerships stand behind their cars, and if you are in a competitive market (multiple dealers in a city), they have a reputation to uphold. If it helps you sleep at night or make the purchase, maybe just ask one of their mechanics to go through the car with you. Put it on a lift and ask a bunch of questions etc.
Old 02-28-2024, 08:37 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 482 Posts

You're (likely) spending more than $200k on this car. The CPO process is known to be flawed. The small investment on an independent PPI is well worth it. Especially true for a GT car that may have (appropriately) seen hard use on the track. It would be silly NOT to get one.

Last edited by ldamelio; 02-28-2024 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-28-2024, 01:38 PM
Atheist
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 102 Posts

I drove 100 plus miles to purchase a CPO car in the spec I wanted (difficult to find) from a reputable Porsche dealer and trusted the CPO and extended warranty from Porsche. Or course I personally inspected and drove the car, and the Porsche dealer I purchased from, has been very good with follow up over the last 15 months since I bought, to see if I have been satisfied. They know I traveled to purchase and would be taking the car to another dealer closer to home if I needed service or repair. After 10,000 miles I had my local independent mechanic inspect and service (oil change) the vehicle. Said it looked great. My local Porsche dealer several months later, replaced the rear tires a year after purchase and did a courtesy inspection, with free alignment and replaced a gas tank pads saying one was ready to fail. Under CPO warranty no charge. The only way I would purchase a late model used Porsche is to buy a CPO car from a Porsche dealer. I have never felt the need to have a PPI on a dealer purchased warrantied car. Cosmetic issues are easy to see myself and it is pretty easy to look at a car and see whether or not is has been properly cared for. Never had an issue not properly addressed under warranty by either my local dealer with whom I have a history or any warrantied dealer car in the past. Actually Porsche North America backs the CPO and extended warranties sold by Porsche dealers. Why wouldn't a Porsche dealership's service department have an incentive to provide good service and charge PNA or Porsche's third party insurer for the repairs necessary? Besides what independent mechanic will stand by their inspection with free labor and parts should they miss something you feel they should have found. PPI on a Porsche backed CPO car is redundant and unnecessary in my opinion. I will say having a good relationship with your local Porsche dealer's service department is a plus.

Last edited by Atheist; 02-28-2024 at 01:44 PM. Reason: added content
Old 02-28-2024, 01:52 PM
K996
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

For me the biggest advantage of the CPO was protection on powertrain, electronics, etc as that stuff can get really expensive really quickly.
It also should have brought the car current on all age-related maintenance (which on a car in that age range can also add up) and mine had evidence that this had been completed.

That being said, yes the CPO on my car missed quite a few previous owner 'mods' like leftover but non-functional amp and wiring under the seats, leftover subwoofer plywood mounting points, some evidence of rodent habitation under the battery, etc.

It's okay as my dealer took care of it once it was found (and they found some of it on their own and took care of the issue) but it's like anything, dependent on the folks doing the inspection and work.
I will say the overall cosmetics of the car (paint, wheels and interior condition) were practically 'as new' from my perspective and met my expectations for the car but again I assume that depends on the specific dealership and their efforts/diligence.

Ultimately it's your money so if that gives you additional peace of mind, it seems a small price to pay but check all the service/maintenance history and wear items (plugs/pccb/brakes) as this is helpful and would better inform the results of an independent PPI report.

edit to add: Forgot to mention that I didnt have a ppi done on the CPO car I bought as I was convinced by the paperwork, history and condition of the car when I showed up, as well as their online reviews, etc.

Last edited by K996; 02-28-2024 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-03-2024, 02:39 PM
The Roon
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Best to purchase a CPO from a dealer that actually did the CPO that way you'll have 3yrs warranty from the date you purchase your vehicle.
However, I would still take it in for a PPI (Pre/Post) and have the dealer repair any problems immediately.
I'd do this every year, especially on the third year as the warranty matures...like what Charles N said.

Quick Reply: Porsche CPO - Is a pre-purchase inspection silly?