Notices

Burmester speaker damage

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2024, 04:03 PM
EnzoFerrari1018
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Burmester speaker damage

Our Porsche is a 2023 Carrera 911 4 GTS. We hadn’t had it very long when my husband used a water hose to rinse brake dust off tires and wheel wells. When he opened the passenger door to wipe water from car frame, he noticed water on Burmeister speaker cover. How in the world did that get there??!! He wiped the water off but consequently the attached pic shows what happened to the speaker cover. Speaker itself is not damaged, just the cover. First, we took car to Porsche dealership where we purchased it and was told “don’t do that.” WTH??? The second Porsche dealership we went to couldn’t determine how that happened. Additionally, in order to replace speaker cover, the entire door panel will have to be replaced. They felt their detailing product that could be tried to restore cover to original condition would be too abrasive.

Has anyone else had an issue with damage to Burmeister speaker cover? The material looks like brushed aluminum and I’m wondering if it’s anodized aluminum. I appreciate anyone’s help. We are almost at the point of saying do what you have to do to make it look like it did when we got the car 4 months ago. It’s under warranty!

Burmeister speaker cover
Old 01-25-2024, 08:17 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

That is too bad / so sad. Both doors have same problem?

It would NOT work for me to own a car that has a prohibition against garden hose washing everything, including the wheels and wheel wells. My vehicles are vacuumed / blown, washed / blown / dried, then covered after each usage. Note that blowing is EXCELLENT for eliminating water retention after washing.

(I'm on the long-term wait list to special order that vehicle and was / am planning on the Burmester).

Don't know what coatings are on that metal, but my expectation is that Porsche would anodize aluminum to prevent oxidation to maintain the desired interior appearance.

My suggestion would me normal car car products w/ a toothbrush and extreme care. Note that a toothbrush used in a back and forth brushing motion is VERY abrasive and WILL leave surface scratch marks.
Old 01-25-2024, 10:28 AM
Nashvegas
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 47 Posts

I am not sure but I would say "dealer, please replace" and not accept no for an answer. PS - I would omit the story behind how it happened. It's irrelevant.
​​​​​​​
Another question: What is going on with the leather on the door panel just above and to the right the speaker grille, above where the interior pull handle connects? Is it coming loose?
The following users liked this post:
elvisdoc (01-29-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 03:49 PM
EnzoFerrari1018
Track Day

No doubt Porsche will replace door panel. Our local Porsche dealership has been exceptional unlike the Porsche dealership where we purchased the vehicle. Needless to say, that dealership and its parent company have lost our business. And we were good customers!

That was the flashlight shining on the door. Leather is perfect.
Old 01-25-2024, 06:10 PM
BED997
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

You might search around some as I remember seeing posts about those black spots with the burmester covers- pretty sure it has been discussed before. Search ‘burmester odd spots’ or something like that.

Last edited by BED997; 01-25-2024 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-26-2024, 10:20 AM
EnzoFerrari1018
Track Day

I found the posts. Under Porsche technical Discussions area category. Search “Burmester odd spots.” After reading the posts, I went to the speaker and sure enough, I could feel fibers coming through speaker holes. Speaker itself is not damaged. Felt behind speaker is coming through speaker holes.
Old 01-29-2024, 12:07 PM
K996
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by EnzoFerrari1018
I found the posts. Under Porsche technical Discussions area category. Search “Burmester odd spots.” After reading the posts, I went to the speaker and sure enough, I could feel fibers coming through speaker holes. Speaker itself is not damaged. Felt behind speaker is coming through speaker holes.
Very interesting! Would've never guessed that from the picture.

Just curious what is going on with this spot though?

Old 01-29-2024, 03:10 PM
elvisdoc
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by K996
Very interesting! Would've never guessed that from the picture.

Just curious what is going on with this spot though?
He said above....that is a shadow from his flashlight.

OP, did you fix the felt issue? A photo with the cover off would be nice but not sure you can do that. What was the nature of the problem and how did u fix it?

-Curious Burmester Owner
Old 01-29-2024, 03:10 PM
EnzoFerrari1018
Track Day

If you run your fingers lightly over speaker holes, you can feel fibers coming through holes.

Car at local Porsche dealership now. They’re going to pull door panel to see if they can get to the felt causing the issue.
Old 01-29-2024, 03:14 PM
EnzoFerrari1018
Track Day

Weird image on leather door is from my flashlight. I shined it on the speaker to highlight issue.
Old 01-29-2024, 03:19 PM
EnzoFerrari1018
Track Day

Car at local Porsche dealership now. They are going to remove door panel and hopefully get to the felt behind the speaker. If you run your fingers lightly over speaker, you can feel the felt fibers poking through speaker holes. Speaker itself is not damaged. If that can’t be remedied, Porsche will replace door panel.

Quick Reply: Burmester speaker damage