Notices

Are you an athlete (cyclist)? - Have you had a knee replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 08:08 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 828 Likes on 543 Posts
Default Are you an athlete (cyclist)? - Have you had a knee replacement?

Simple question.
Are you glad that you did??
Old 04-15-2024, 01:36 PM
Atheist
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 102 Posts

Simpe answer - YES!
Old 04-16-2024, 12:36 AM
andredl
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Not an athlete but I do cycle. I have an aftermarket knee. Yes, I'm glad I had the surgery. No, it's not perfect and after five years it is still often painful. Deep tissue massage is the best help I've found.
Old 04-16-2024, 05:38 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Thanks for your thoughts
The same discussion with more participants here.

https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topi...placement.html
Old 04-24-2024, 05:54 PM
K996
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

I used to work at a company and in a function that designed and manufactured them (I no longer do, so no hidden motives!) and knee replacement is one of those things that you'll probably know when it's time.
Basically none of various injections, treatments and recuperative time is helping with the pain and it's beginning to affect your quality of life to a degree that you really know you need to get it done.

I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice, so discuss your treatment options blah blah blah but just some feedback from patients I've met or know and family members that have gone through with it.
- get the most experienced surgeon you can find, use his standard knee and whatever company it comes from ("custom" knees probably arent something you want to try out unless you have something unusual going on anatomically)
- do your physical therapy, it's gonna suck at first but not as bad as losing range of motion.
- I personally have never met anyone who regretted getting knee replacement. That doesnt mean it cant go wrong but most wish they had done it a little sooner.
- they dont last forever, so you need to start thinking about the timing of your next replacement. Generally I dont think it's a good idea to wait too long (well more like, "dont be too old") as bone loss, rehab, complications from anesthesia and surgery, etc etc etc seem to be more common and more severe the older the patients get.
- if you wait too long and it starts affecting your gait, posture, etc.. that can cause other issues so dont wait too long!

Sorry I cant access the other forum, looks like I need to payup!

Good luck man!
Old 04-25-2024, 03:40 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 353 Likes on 209 Posts

Used to cycle but dislocated a knee on holiday and can't go half a mile now without it binding up.
Old 04-28-2024, 04:23 PM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Had my left one replaced in October, my right one done 7 weeks ago. Pretty much no choice if I wanted pain free use. Before I retired from competitive distance running, my training log accumulated over 75,000 miles. The knees didn't bother me at all when I took up swimming and cycling until 25 years later. Now ready to jump on the bike again albeit at a moderate pace.
Old 05-01-2024, 07:14 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by K996
I used to work at a company and in a function that designed and manufactured them (I no longer do, so no hidden motives!) and knee replacement is one of those things that you'll probably know when it's time.
Basically none of various injections, treatments and recuperative time is helping with the pain and it's beginning to affect your quality of life to a degree that you really know you need to get it done.

I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice, so discuss your treatment options blah blah blah but just some feedback from patients I've met or know and family members that have gone through with it.
- get the most experienced surgeon you can find, use his standard knee and whatever company it comes from ("custom" knees probably arent something you want to try out unless you have something unusual going on anatomically)
- do your physical therapy, it's gonna suck at first but not as bad as losing range of motion.
- I personally have never met anyone who regretted getting knee replacement. That doesnt mean it cant go wrong but most wish they had done it a little sooner.
- they dont last forever, so you need to start thinking about the timing of your next replacement. Generally I dont think it's a good idea to wait too long (well more like, "dont be too old") as bone loss, rehab, complications from anesthesia and surgery, etc etc etc seem to be more common and more severe the older the patients get.
- if you wait too long and it starts affecting your gait, posture, etc.. that can cause other issues so dont wait too long!

Sorry I cant access the other forum, looks like I need to payup!

Good luck man!
thanks for your feedback regarding the knee replacement question. My doc is 99% likely going to use a Zimmer part. He discussed custom parts, but thinks their is no real advantage. Be well.

Quick Reply: Are you an athlete (cyclist)? - Have you had a knee replacement?