Notices

Conundrum - Family of 4

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 10:22 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 958 Likes on 572 Posts

Modern 911s are great for a family, at least for kids up to about 6 or 7 years old.

Have you thought about trading your kids in for newer models?
Old 04-23-2024, 01:02 AM
GT4_Rick
Advanced

Received 110 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by monacoDK
When I bought my 911 (991.1 4S) 3 years ago, my kids were little and fitting the four of us in the car for a spirited ride to get dinner or ice cream was exciting for all. Since then, I’ve moved to working from home and sold my daily driver, so now it’s the 911 and a Tesla X that my wife mainly drives. Ashamed to admit it, but the 911 only gets a few thousand miles of use every year since we take the Tesla most places. However, for those times when my wife is busy and I need to drive the kids around, it’s different now

Driving the kids to school, even sans wife, has turned into a complaint fest, with my kids (13 and 11) fighting over who has to sit in the back seat.

As such, I’ve decided to do something about it and am now torn between adding a third car - something fun and relatively inexpensive like a 4 door Jeep Wrangler and keeping the 911.

Or, my other thought is to sell the 911 and buy something more conducive to our family situation for a few years (say until my daughter is driving in 3-4 years). Naturally my mind goes to Panamera (love me a Turbo), Cayenne Coupe, or Taycan. Have also considered RS7, RSQ8, Rapide, etc

I’m sure I’m not alone in this forum of others that have gone through the same. What did you do? Did you regret it? Did you go back to 911 later in life?

looking for some advice/ real life experiences
I bought a low mileage 2015 VW Touareg for 17K last year. It's cheap, reliable, smooth, perfect for hauling around 3 other people when needed to. Not suggesting you get a Touareg necessarily but since it sounds like you're open to the 3rd vehicle idea, get a 3rd vehicle whatever that may be. In a few years when the kids are grown enough you can give it to one of them if that's part of your future plans too and you'll still have your 911.
Old 04-23-2024, 12:41 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 992 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Modern 911s are great for a family, at least for kids up to about 6 or 7 years old.
I’ve been able to stretch mine to my kids, 10 and 12. And my 12 is 5’5”, and yeah, it’s tight for her behind my seat (I’m 6’0”), but she can sit behind my wife on the passenger side OK. Sure, it’s tight, but we can do short trips.
Old 04-23-2024, 11:13 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 958 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Murphy
I’ve been able to stretch mine to my kids, 10 and 12. And my 12 is 5’5”, and yeah, it’s tight for her behind my seat (I’m 6’0”), but she can sit behind my wife on the passenger side OK. Sure, it’s tight, but we can do short trips.
My daughter rebelled when she turned 11, about 58", even sitting behind my wife in the right seat. Of course, that was a 964, and a bit smaller inside (and out). As an adult she tolerated one short ride in the back of my 991.
Old 04-25-2024, 09:52 AM
rwbern
Rennlist Member

Received 617 Likes on 306 Posts

I vaguely remember those days :-) T the time, I went with a BMW 7 series, pre Panamera. Unless you take longer road trips, it does not sound like you need an SUV, but if so inclined, a used Cayenne is a great suggestion. On a tight budget, the VW is a good suggestion. For a four door sedan, the used market for Panameras is enticing.
Good luck & let us know what you decide.
P.S. Selling the 911 is not an option.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (04-25-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 09:10 PM
PZombie
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nooooooooooooooo....don't get rid of your 911 unless you have another replacement waitingin the wings. Get a 3rd, 4rth, 5th car if you need to. But Don't get rid of your sporty driver. You will forever regret it and be constantly looking to fill the void left by that "lost college love" you left in Paris while backpacking in Europe

I suggest you skip the Wrangler and get a Jeep GC, a slightly used Touareg, or something you can haul sports equipment, garden supplies, and beat it up a little without getting all upset about it.

Old 05-03-2024, 10:23 AM
futuregopher
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 991.1 base and 2016 JK 4 door so my vote goes for getting a JK wrangler or JL wrangler with the V6 (the turbo still isn't sorted out enough). I don't have kids but I plan on it so my 991.1 will be my daily driver and my JK is for later on when the kids get too big for the 911 or when I have friends that want to ride with me. Definitely do not get rid of the 911!!!

991.1 S and 4S models are so freaking hard to find right now! Plus when the kids get older and leave for school you'll still be able to enjoy the 911 by yourself or with 1 passenger!

Good luck!!!
The following users liked this post:
monacoDK (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM
monacoDK
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rwbern
I vaguely remember those days :-) T the time, I went with a BMW 7 series, pre Panamera. Unless you take longer road trips, it does not sound like you need an SUV, but if so inclined, a used Cayenne is a great suggestion. On a tight budget, the VW is a good suggestion. For a four door sedan, the used market for Panameras is enticing.
Good luck & let us know what you decide.
P.S. Selling the 911 is not an option.
Have thought about a used Cayenne. Any particular models/years that are better than others?
Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM
monacoDK
Advanced

Originally Posted by bkrantz
My daughter rebelled when she turned 11, about 58", even sitting behind my wife in the right seat. Of course, that was a 964, and a bit smaller inside (and out). As an adult she tolerated one short ride in the back of my 991.
My kids are tall - daughter is 12 y/o and 5’9”. Son is not that far behind her
Old Yesterday, 08:34 PM
monacoDK
Advanced

Originally Posted by futuregopher
I have a 991.1 base and 2016 JK 4 door so my vote goes for getting a JK wrangler or JL wrangler with the V6 (the turbo still isn't sorted out enough). I don't have kids but I plan on it so my 991.1 will be my daily driver and my JK is for later on when the kids get too big for the 911 or when I have friends that want to ride with me. Definitely do not get rid of the 911!!!

991.1 S and 4S models are so freaking hard to find right now! Plus when the kids get older and leave for school you'll still be able to enjoy the 911 by yourself or with 1 passenger!

Good luck!!!
Anything in particular (or years/trims) to be on the lookout for on the Wrangler?
Old Today, 09:55 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 992 Posts

Originally Posted by monacoDK
Have thought about a used Cayenne. Any particular models/years that are better than others?
Yeah - the one that has a manual transmission!

Quick Reply: Conundrum - Family of 4