Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 01:37 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Post Learning to drive a manual transmission

Does anyone have any recommendations for manuals/books/websites which someone could read BEFORE getting behind the wheel of a car equipped with a manual transmission.

My bride wants to learn to drive a manual (yes, I'm losing sleep worrying about the potential implications of this). No, she doesn't want me to teach her. Yes, I've already notified my mechanic to have parts standing by......

Her girlfriends are all lining up to offer to teach her, but I'd rather have her understand the basics of how it works, etc BEFORE trying it.

Any and all help greatly appreciated.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:56 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 887 Likes on 537 Posts

Lewis,
She doesn't want you helping??? Maybe one of the basic learn to race books may have something on shifting, etc, but it's pretty much an OTJ process.
My younger son went out last weekend with his best friend to teach his younger brother how to drive a stick- they went to the VW dealer and got a Jetta to "test" and took it to a BIG parking lot and let him give it a try. Fortunately we have a very understanding salesman we've helped support over the years with all our Audis and VWs...
You notice my son didn't use any of our cars.... I'm not crazy!
Of course, find some hills to practice starts- did that when I taught my sister to drive a stick back in the 60's, with a three on the tree. Yes, we used up some tires but it worked- she's been driving sticks since.
Too bad there aren't a lot of old beetles around- that was a great car to learn on back when....
Good luck- too bad your Cayenne isn't a stick or you could use that....
Old 11-11-2005, 03:19 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
skl,
Thanks. It's strange, but I can't find a driving school who teaches stick and clutch and can't really find any books. I would have thought it was easier.

I learned OTJ just like everbody else....my first car, a 1985 Toyota Starlet (1800#, 4cylinder, ~50mpg..and probably 50mph too highway, I lived in that car for 4 years of school...didn't have a dorm room so I lived in my car). Of course the car didn't have enough HP to spin the tires or burn a clutch...unless you really tried.

Fortunately, my neighborhood is a one mile 'loop' with a nice little/gradual hill on one side and a larger hill on the other, so it's a good place to learn.

I'm planning on picking up the 968 Cab next weekend, it's a 6 speed, and I'd like to see her tool around in it during the spring/summer, I think she'd enjoy it. Of course her girlfriends are "more than happy" to help teach her...and tool around in a Porsche while they're at it....I don't mind.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:33 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I taught my niece to drive a stick in a WRX. First I explained the theory of how it all works and then I took her to an empty parking lot. I told her to concentrate on the clutch and to feel the friction point. I demonstrated that the car could be put in gear without any gas if you were slow and smooth on the clutch. She got the car moving without stalling it.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:19 PM
CarsRGood
Advanced

Yeah, this is killing me. My 24 year old son, who is a great kid and a responsible driver would love to drive my car, but its too expensive for mistakes. I was even thinking of buying a beater just for the purpose. Good advice on taking the car out to a big lot. If you can't learn the clutch with no gas you'll never get it. Its the 5-4 or 3-2 shifts that make me worry.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:54 PM
bullfighter
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Some cars are much more forgiving. Frankly I wouldn't teach anyone on a pre-'87 911.

I'm guessing book on how to drive a manual trans would be a lot like a book on how to ride a bike - too short to be a good read. You know the rules - let the clutch out gradually, don't ride the clutch when stopped, don't force the car into gear. The advanced stuff like matching revs to car speed for downshifts, heel and toe, etc., isn't Day One learning anyway.

Hondas shift nicely - dull cars, but it's easier to start on something like that.

My two euros...
Old 11-12-2005, 12:00 AM
solsrch
Pro

Just get them to think of a fulcrum between the clutch and gas, it all follows from there.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:51 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife was never properly taught, and she still doesn't understand matching revs for a shift. Think she gets to drive my nice cars? I have taught a number of people to drive performance cars with sticks. It starts with first gear clutch out, clutch in and stop. Then first to second, then clutch in and stop. Then up to third, downshift to second. Then up and down the gears, then heel and toe.

It is better to be taught than to have to relearn bad habits. As for books, I would assume the local library might have one or two.
Old 11-12-2005, 08:26 AM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Have her friends teach her in their cars. My wife drove my 993 ONCE for about 5 minutes and that was it. Her Boxster is a 5sp and she has no problem driving it. You could also go to the Dodge dealer and "test drive" a 5sp neon. I am sure they would let you guys take it out on your own.

Quick Reply: Learning to drive a manual transmission