Notices

Headsup: Windshield Suction Mounts Illegal in CA/MN

Old 05-28-2007, 03:55 PM
Dave_D
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Headsup: Windshield Suction Mounts Illegal in CA/MN

Hi all,

I saw this posted on Garmin's web site, re GPS antennas and thought it important to radar detector owners:

NOTICE TO DRIVERS IN CALIFORNIA AND MINNESOTA: State law prohibits drivers in California and Minnesota from using suction mounts on their windshields while operating motor vehicles. Other Garmin dashboard or friction mounting options should be used. Garmin does not take any responsibility for any fines, penalties, or damages that may be incurred as a result of disregarding this notice. (See California Vehicle Code Section 26708(a); Minnesota Statutes 2005, Section 169.71)

Sounds like an opportunity for police to issue arbitrary citations to radar detector owners. Watch your ***!

Who'da thought California would be the first to infringe upon personal rights in any form? Oh, but then safety trumps personal rights. I almost forgot. Somebody musta received a flailing suction cup to the noggin and sued the state. That ol' chestnut. I get it.

Dave

Last edited by Dave_D; 05-28-2007 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Typo. Company is "Garmin," not "Uniden."
Old 05-28-2007, 11:50 PM
rgrimm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got stopped in Minnesota going west through Detroit Lakes on Highway 10 during WE Fest (hugh outdoor country music festival, for those who don't follow that sort of thing).

I was driving the '68. Pulled me over in town, asked about the car as he and his ride-along looked it over, and told me I'd have to take the radar detector off the windshield. Actually volunteered that if I had the visor mount, that would be okay. When I told him I didn't he replied, "with WE Fest, I doubt you'd be speeding, and anyway, it would be going off like crazy as soon as you get east of town, so you might just as well not use it." Wished me a nice drive home and let me go.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:37 PM
Dave_D
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I should probably correct myself here too. Upon reading the California Vehicle Code, there is an exception for:

...an electronic communication device affixed to the center uppermost portion of the interior of a windshield within an area that is not greater than 5 inches square, if the device provides ... the capability for enforcement facilities of the Department of the California Highway Patrol to communicate with a vehicle equipped with the device.
Unless I'm mistaken, they're describing a radar detector.

Dave
Old 08-25-2007, 04:18 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

So it's not OK to mount it to the bottom of the windshield and rest it on the dash, but it is OK to mount it at the top where it could fall onto your face. Got it. I hate CA laws.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:56 PM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

If the law specifically said "suction mounts", you could always use velcro....somthing like you use mounting your EZ Pass.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:54 PM
Jim 944S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My EZ Pass DID come with suction cups!!!

Jim 1987 944S
Old 09-05-2007, 02:56 PM
NeoRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dave_D
I should probably correct myself here too. Upon reading the California Vehicle Code, there is an exception for:

Unless I'm mistaken, they're describing a radar detector.

Dave
They probably mean an EZ pass or some such device... Radar detectors are signal detection only not a communications device by my standards... Just my 2c
Old 10-04-2007, 04:37 PM
ML1Media
4th Gear

Originally Posted by NeoRules
They probably mean an EZ pass or some such device... Radar detectors are signal detection only not a communications device by my standards... Just my 2c
Many new detectors receive broadcast on a so-called 'safety' band; Municpalities and Law Enforcement have the option to b-cast a signal to warn approaching drivers that there is some hazard ahead. I've only seen it used maybe a half dozen times in the last 5 years.

jm

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headsup: Windshield Suction Mounts Illegal in CA/MN