Notices

Beck Spyder 550....how close?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 03:47 PM
zabak80
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beck Spyder 550....how close?

I've always loved and obsessed over the shape, look, and beauty of the Spyder 550. Obviously, since I haven't won Powerball yet and the chances of an original Spyder 550 being available for sale are slim to none, I've been thinking of getting a Beck Spyder 550 customized the way I want it. I also would be afraid to take the original on the road...it would be like moving the Mona Lisa by throwing it in the back seat of a 911 (a priceless work of art is going to get damaged).

I've always had a few questions I was hoping some people would be able to answer in general terms:

1. How close to the original Spyder 550 are the replicas cosmetically? Are they in the same ballpark? 90%? 95% true to the original? I know mechanically they would be completely different, but how close visually are they?

2. How does the Porsche community feel about the replicas? I probably wouldn't put any Porsche badges on it, maybe some type of custom replacement. If I ever went to a Porsche meet, would I just be laughed at, or would I be accepted?

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2012, 07:09 PM
justin-in-athens
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen the Beck replica, and it is very nice. I can't speak as to the exact dimensions, however the overall proportions of the body look correct and the car flows well. The fit and finish of a factory built car is very good to great in my opinion. The variety of powerplant choices allows the purchaser to customize the car dependent on how fast he or she wants to go.

In general the Porsche community accepts 550 replicas for what they are fairly readily. A real enthusiast will know in about 10 seconds weather or not its the real thing. They are one of the few replicas that enjoy acceptance, as just about any other model is looked upon with some aire of disdain. Tribute cars sometimes also come under scrutiny, but if well executed are usually not bashed on.

I'd say do it. I looked at one pretty hard, but decided I go too fast not to have a roof!
Old 07-09-2012, 12:08 AM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with justin; except maybe for the "I go too fast not to have a roof" part.

I got that same itch years ago, and did some online research. Several different companies built them (Beck, Thunder Ranch, Vintage Spyders); from kits, to rollers, to turn-keys. Several engine options were available, but I liked the VW-based engines because they were closer to the original power plant. I think Beck now offers mostly Subaru engines. The car is so light (about 1300#) that it doesn't take much engine to move out at a good pace. One of the companies (maybe Thunder Ranch), also offered a RSK replica. For more information try www.spyderclub.com. Used ones seem to be available fairly frequently. Maybe it doesn't take some people very long to scratch that itch.

Most replicas that I've seen up close seem well built and look fairly close to the originals, although some got carried a bit too far with options. I've never seen an original and a replica side-by-side though. I didn't give acceptance by Porsche fans much thought. I've yet to even drive a replica, which may be all that I really needed anyway.

Quick Reply: Beck Spyder 550....how close?