Notices

Clear bra cost and preference

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 12:14 AM
losdeanos
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear bra cost and preference

I’m looking at getting a clear bra installed and had a few questions.
  1. Full front end or half hood? How do the cars look with a clear bra crossing over the center of the hood and odes the bar or paint fade/discolor over time?
  2. Anybody have any good recommendations for shops in the Seattle/Eastside area for a good shop to do the work?
  3. What are the cost people are paying to get them installed?

Thanks,
Tim
Old 08-04-2012, 05:51 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Congrats Tim on the 997 !

I purchased my Slate Grey 996TT with a clear bra . IIRC, a simple quality clear bra ( approx half hood, matching fenders, full front bumper, two side mirrors approx $300). The rest of the hood has minimal rock chips, so in effect I'll have to respray the entire hood at which time I'll do a full clear bra on it.

I am considering getting the roof, doors, rear bumper done for add'l protection.

1. half hood, etc doesn't bother me one bit; so depends what you are looking for and your budget.

IN your case, better to go front bumper, headlights, full hood, full fenders, sideview mirrors. You may want to consider doors, and roof, and rear bumper. Heck, just get an estimate for the whole
enchilada!

2. dont know the Seattle area, try talking to a few detail shops to start.

3. I would approximate the full boat at $3K+ ; but let us know what estimates you get in your area.

Treat with Plexus, regular washing/waxing.

XPel Ultimate seems to be popular right now. (Self-healing clear bra).

Good luck.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:25 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Xpel Ultimate is working good for me. I would definitely get the full front. Don't do half panels.

My installer said that the film doesn't have UV protection which keeps the paint from fading unevenly from covered to non-covered areas. I got my whole car done minus a few tricky parts around the wing for $3000. He was able to wrap some of the edges. Approx. 3 mm gaps at edges elsewhere but all in all a good job.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:59 AM
detailjohn
Former Vendor

Feel free to check us out, we almost always have several Porsches for example here. We use Xpel Ultimate Film also. We're located in Bellevue, and provide a free loaner car with every service.

www.metropolitandetail.com
Old 08-25-2012, 09:15 PM
froggert
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would do the full hood. even though it's a horizontal surface, the car is low to the ground. $300 sounds really cheap - i don't know that it would even cover the cost of the materials here for hood, bumper and fenders.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:20 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had the entire front of my 964 done for $1200, including the mirrors. The only seam is on the bumper cover.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:32 AM
losdeanos
Rennlist Member

I ended up going with the Dealer, got the standard half of the front end done for $1100. They did a great job and the line is invisible, but sometime down the road I may have the rest of the fenders and hood done.

Quick Reply: Clear bra cost and preference