Which Porsche question

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 01:01 PM
stone312
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Porsche question

Hi,

I test drove a 911 and a Boxter S in the weekend and I want to get a Porsche Coupe.
By budget is 45k to buy and 2k per year maintenance.
I would like to use it to drive around the city (Chicago) and take weekend trips (6k miles a year)

My choices:
1 - 10 year old Carrera 4S with 50k miles on it for $33,000
2 - 5 year old Cayman S with 25k miles on it for $42,000 - certified pre owned
3 - 6 year old Cayman with 50k miles on it for $27,000
4 - 4 year old Cayman with 26k miles on it for $38,000 - certified pre owned

Which one would you recommend?
Old 04-11-2013, 07:13 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Welcome stone312. Are these particular cars FS at dealers or are some of them private sales? One reason would be how we'll cared for are they and possibly purchasing from the original owner(s). Have you tested a Cayman? How does it compare to the Boxster?
I am not experienced with either, so better for a C or B owner to chime in.

Also, which options are must haves, and which are you willing to forego? 6sp manual trans or maybe PDK/Tip? There are many variables in the pricing, so get a good feel for options that may effect your purchase and future resale.
Do any of the cars have aftermarket mods; i.e., wheels, exhaust, suspension, audio upgrades, body kits, etc...

Some more advice would be to do some searches in the 996, 997, and Cayman forums to get a feel for what current owners say about their particular models.
My first choice would be the 996 C4S. But what is the history on the car? A thorough PPI, and body and paintwork inspection to confirm that. It may be the right car; if there are any hints of stories, drop it immediately. Carfax may help, but they don't tell the whole story.

A thorough test drive, All manuals, keys, documented maintenance history would be a must or else you may be looking at some $$ costs to get regular servicing done for piece of mind or negotiate the price down accordingly.( that would go for ALL cars you are potentially purchasing).

Next choice would be the Cayman S; but are you willing to give up the opportunity to own a real 911? A cayman could be a proper stepping stone to future 911 ownership, so the C may be the better choice for you now. In a while, you may be able to get a pre-owned 997 or 991, etc.
if you tend to keep cars long term, you may be perfectly happy with the C, and never venture to the 911. Good luck in your purchase.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:02 PM
Kevin Rohrer
Rennlist Member

Received 760 Likes on 496 Posts

This question is been asked many times in many different ways. The answer is always the same: newer is always better. #4.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:38 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would lean towards #2, but would be tempted by the C4S if only because the Cayman S still has a bit of depreciation left in it. The CPO holds some value though.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:14 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

None of the above. +1 for a 997.

Quick Reply: Which Porsche question