Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Silver Rocket

Anyone install a Chill out

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2022, 03:18 PM
RSA964993
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 80 Posts

Thanks. I’m just a novice w the longest race being 90 minutes. V3 makes more sense.
Old 08-15-2023, 09:58 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TMANN
Ran my Chillout for the first time a few weeks ago on an 88F day, worked great for all 6 sessions about 25 minutes each, kept the Chillout temp at 45F. The neat thing was how the coolant in my shirt stayed cool for another 10 minutes when I jumped into my student's car. Here are a few pics of the install, was just a temp fab, but it all worked great. I used industrial velcro so I wouldn't have to permanently cut into anything, can still open/close door and put on the window when it rains.

Is that a Cayman?

If so, tell me more about how you connected the duct to the door, please.

I'm currently using the rear quarter windows for the engine intake. This looks like a good solution.

Where is it Velcro'd and do you just peel it off to open the door?
Old 08-16-2023, 02:59 AM
TMANN
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes its a Cayman GT4 Clubsport. I used industrial velcro on the carbon door frame and the carbon NACA duct, it worked very well. The Lexan window screws in with no issues as the velcro is thin. Also you can see in the pics the velcro straps and a thumb-turn steel clamp for the NACA to hose connection. It's sturdy, flexible and connects in just a few minutes. Yes to open the door just loosen the steel thumb-turn clamp and the NACA pulls away with the door open.
I'm speaking in past tense because I now have a passenger seat (why it was all temporary) and although have repositioned the Chillout to the floorboard, the position of the NACA has moved to the front of the window (due to full contain seat, no space for NACA+ hose) which seems to not be providing as much airflow as the Chillout temps are in the 55-65F range. It still works, but doesn't cool quite as well as it did, and now takes about 5-7 minutes to take everything out if needing to take a student/passenger for a ride.
I haven't moved the NACA to the rear quarter window because in the future I might be adding the BGB air intake kit...wish they made a custom piece that could accommodate both, but I think there's not enough room for both hoses.
Old 08-16-2023, 01:03 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TMANN
Yes its a Cayman GT4 Clubsport. I used industrial velcro on the carbon door frame and the carbon NACA duct, it worked very well. The Lexan window screws in with no issues as the velcro is thin. Also you can see in the pics the velcro straps and a thumb-turn steel clamp for the NACA to hose connection. It's sturdy, flexible and connects in just a few minutes. Yes to open the door just loosen the steel thumb-turn clamp and the NACA pulls away with the door open.
I'm speaking in past tense because I now have a passenger seat (why it was all temporary) and although have repositioned the Chillout to the floorboard, the position of the NACA has moved to the front of the window (due to full contain seat, no space for NACA+ hose) which seems to not be providing as much airflow as the Chillout temps are in the 55-65F range. It still works, but doesn't cool quite as well as it did, and now takes about 5-7 minutes to take everything out if needing to take a student/passenger for a ride.
I haven't moved the NACA to the rear quarter window because in the future I might be adding the BGB air intake kit...wish they made a custom piece that could accommodate both, but I think there's not enough room for both hoses.
Thanks for the info. I ordered my system yesterday.

My car is a street car turned GTB1, so similar but different. I like the setup you have posted in the pics and have no passenger seat. So I'm going to see if the shop can do something similar as what you have pictured here. Thanks again for the info!
Old 08-16-2023, 01:13 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

BTW, I would totally just use the rear quarter window option to keep this simple, but I already have giant naca ducts on each side that are feeding the engine intake from there.

Old 08-18-2023, 09:27 PM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 227 Posts

Replace the rear window with plexi and put it up there.
Old 08-19-2023, 08:56 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

That is an option I suppose. Although I'm already adding a little ballast to make weight... Taking that glass out would mean I would have to add some weight back in somewhere else.

I'll probably just do something similar to what the other poster did in his clubsport.
Old 08-19-2023, 09:26 PM
carbondan
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by thuggo
Replace the rear window with plexi and put it up there.
I did that on my 991 cup. Wasn't great. Came out a bit ghetto and was a major issue when it rained.
Old 08-20-2023, 04:42 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,007 Posts

I've never been a fan of putting the NACA duct in the side window. There is a high pressure area build up at the base of the windshield. We put a 4" duct in that location along with a 996Cup air scoop on the plastic trim piece which provides ram air to the 4" Chillout intake hose. I put a small metal screen under the air scoop to keep tire buggers and bugs from getting sucked into the inlet. We've tested this on +90F days on the Quantum V3 and it works fantastic. The packaging is nice and tidy with no ugly NACA ducts showing and the 4" intake hose nicely tucked away along the center tunnel on the passenger side. This is on a 996 chassis but I don't see why it wouldn't work on the GT4....

Last edited by powdrhound; 08-20-2023 at 12:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone install a Chill out