Sponsored by: Silver Rocket

Rear Facing Camera System

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2021, 09:49 PM
whojoemama
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Rear Facing Camera System

I know none of you ever get passed, so there’s no reason to focus on what’s happening behind you, but i’m struggling with near-zero visiblity out the rearview mirror. I went to a multipanel ‘wink’ rearview mirror, but this is nearly useless. Does anyone else have the same issues? Is there a rear-facing camera system that provides a realtime feed into the cockpit? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-05-2021, 10:17 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

I use a panoramic mirror made by Crawford. It works really well. Mine is also a MR so the song is a little higher.

with Motec, you can definitely have a real time camera feed to the dash. The camera can be displayed based on a channel, like when your are in reverse or when you press a button.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:56 PM
zracer196
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
I use a panoramic mirror made by Crawford. It works really well. Mine is also a MR so the song is a little higher.

with Motec, you can definitely have a real time camera feed to the dash. The camera can be displayed based on a channel, like when your are in reverse or when you press a button.
Interesting topic as I raced motorcycles for over a decade and we didn’t have mirrors, etc. Of course we could turn our head but I was always told to focus in front…Also always used to seem when people looked back is when they were soon passed.

Obviously in DE’s we need to watch for the faster car BEFORE they arrive, etc. But I’ve never had an issue. OEM mirror in my CS but maybe I have more visibility in my car?
Old 12-07-2021, 03:01 AM
whojoemama
Rennlist Member

well, i pretty much can’t see **** out my rearview….i saw something (expensive) in Leh Keen’s car I think on youtube….
Old 12-12-2021, 03:25 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,892 Likes on 1,696 Posts

One of the best, least expensive RVC setups is the 5.6" or 7" VDO cameras and displays. Works great. This is the go-to for most club level and even entry level pro GT cars with big wings and limited rear quarter and rear view vision.

I have a few folks that use the HDMI out with the rear facing camera of a VBOX HD2 HDMI to feed a 7" display, very inexpensive and effective add on.

You can spend $15-$20K for Bosch's system, but it will show green, yellow and orange arrows to track cars coming up...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-12-2021, 05:26 PM
whojoemama
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
One of the best, least expensive RVC setups is the 5.6" or 7" VDO cameras and displays. Works great. This is the go-to for most club level and even entry level pro GT cars with big wings and limited rear quarter and rear view vision.

I have a few folks that use the HDMI out with the rear facing camera of a VBOX HD2 HDMI to feed a 7" display, very inexpensive and effective add on.

You can spend $15-$20K for Bosch's system, but it will show green, yellow and orange arrows to track cars coming up...
thanks Coach. I have the VBOX but it seems to have a time lag — is that fixed by using the connection pattern you suggest above? I’m thinking about just using an LCD rearview mirror camera
Old 12-14-2021, 01:27 AM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 57 Posts

I bought a whole new Kenwood head unit to integrate rear, and then front, cameras. Not because of worrying about cars on track but because there are so many people, and little kids, wandering around the paddock. Strapped in and in a full-face helmet, I just couldn't see backing out of my space to head to grid.
Old 12-14-2021, 12:35 PM
alasorte
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a few folks that use the HDMI out with the rear facing camera of a VBOX HD2 HDMI to feed a 7" display, very inexpensive and effective add on....
Coach, I’d like to try this approach with my VBOX HD2 HDMI. Do you have any recommendations for a suitable, bright 7” display? Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
4MW (12-15-2021)
Old 12-20-2021, 09:34 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,892 Likes on 1,696 Posts

Originally Posted by alasorte
Coach, I’d like to try this approach with my VBOX HD2 HDMI. Do you have any recommendations for a suitable, bright 7” display? Thanks.
I don't have any that I have tried myself, but this one says it has 400 nits (good brightness), runs on 12V and is in a ruggedized case. Plug the HD2 output (after enabling Camera 2 output in the scene file) into the HDMI input and voila.

https://www.beetronics.com/7-inch-mo...MaAqA0EALw_wcB
alasorte (12-21-2021)
Old 12-21-2021, 01:51 PM
whojoemama
Rennlist Member

i'm thinking about just trying this as a cheap and cheerful way to improve my visibility: https://brandmotion.com/product/full...tem-fvmr-1100/
Old 12-21-2021, 02:10 PM
alasorte
Rennlist Member

I don't have any that I have tried myself, but this one says it has 400 nits (good brightness), runs on 12V and is in a ruggedized case. Plug the HD2 output (after enabling Camera 2 output in the scene file) into the HDMI input and voila.

https://www.beetronics.com/7-inch-mo...MaAqA0EALw_wcB
Thanks, Coach!
ProCoach (12-26-2021)
Old 12-31-2021, 11:07 AM
zmon
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 78 Posts

In one of our E36 endurance racing cars we installed a rear facing camera for the night races and it works great. We work with RRT in sterling for maintaining the cars and BIlly has a guy in the area that has a nice product.

Here is the link to his website https://www.jfracing.net/p/dms

Not sure how to post vid from our car as its in a google drive... anyways its a great system.
Old 01-06-2022, 07:11 PM
jfracing
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Small note about using a normal camera system, the image is going to be backwards horizontally from what you expect to see in a rear-view mirror in a mirror. Many HDMI displays have built-in options to do flipping on the vertical axis but many do not.

The aformentioned system zmon shared a link to is of my design, so if anyone has any questions I'll gladly answer them.
Old 02-04-2022, 01:34 PM
alasorte
Rennlist Member

Default Rear view monitor install

Here’s my cobbled-together rear view monitor setup, using ProCoach’s idea - the VBox’s rear facing camera.

I chose a monitor with good brightness (1,000 nits) and contrast (cost - under $250) . Mounting hardware from Amazon (around $50). Very sturdy and doesn’t shake at speed.

I’m still experimenting with the display’s location. May move it higher and closer to the windshield.

At normal resolution, more than half of the monitor’s picture was the trunk area, which was useless. But I set the monitor to 2x zoom and it’s much more helpful now. I used it at Sebring last week with PBOC and it worked great.
The following 3 users liked this post by alasorte:
4MW (02-04-2022), ProCoach (02-04-2022), zracer196 (02-04-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 02:53 PM
4MW
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the information. PBOC looked liked big fun this year - need to get down there.
Quick question: Is the monitor brand “Bestview”?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Rear Facing Camera System