Sponsored by: Silver Rocket

Clubsport “low maintenance”?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 02:17 PM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Received 453 Likes on 198 Posts
Default Clubsport “low maintenance”?

I’m considering keeping a GT4 RS Clubsport (when I can get my hands on one in ~18 months) trackside.

How “low maintenance” are they? Am I delusional in thinking that I can have a shop do pre & post track simple maintenance. And just arrive and turnkey drive (at 70%) during members only mellow track days?

Or are they a pit crew needed type of proposition?
Old 02-21-2022, 02:46 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

The 981 and 718 Clubsports are definitely low maintenance for their speed. Since the GT4RS is so new, it remains to be seen what they are like.
The following users liked this post:
ForeverCar (02-21-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 03:47 PM
zracer196
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 70 Posts

I have a 981 CS. I am fairly mechanically inclined...All of the basics like oil changes, brake pads / rotors / fluid flush, plugs / coil packs, etc. I just got done installing my rebuilt KW shocks (rebuilt by KW)...It was all pretty easy.

I am however going to have my shop (BGB) do the final nut / bolt alignment.

I think the CS has been a breeze...No support needed. IF I was racing it I would probably get support (or have my also knowledgeable friends help).
Jerrym (02-22-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 05:02 PM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by ForeverCar
I’m considering keeping a GT4 RS Clubsport (when I can get my hands on one in ~18 months) trackside.

How “low maintenance” are they? Am I delusional in thinking that I can have a shop do pre & post track simple maintenance. And just arrive and turnkey drive (at 70%) during members only mellow track days?

Or are they a pit crew needed type of proposition?
Well...last I heard is they shifted the Engine/Transmission to Time Out like the 992 Cup....so...thats going to be the majors now. Other than that, pretty low maintenance if the rest is like the 981/718. Pit crew to do your tires and if anything else goes wrong is never a bad idea though especially if it has an adjustable suspension.
Old 02-21-2022, 06:14 PM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 226 Posts

I wouldn't plan on the GT4 RS CS's that are coming later in the year to be as available as believed - some crazy numbers of folks on the list with only a small amount of cars incoming in Q3/Q4.
Old 02-21-2022, 06:44 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,890 Likes on 1,695 Posts

GT4 based cars are the lowest service requirement cars with the longest service intervals, at least they have been...

That said, I think having a good set of eyes on the car every other event is a good idea when it's new, more frequently as it ages.

It's one of the few that you could conceivably look after yourself at track days and HPDE's. Especially when driven some level off it's ultimate potential.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-21-2022, 06:53 PM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ProCoach
GT4 based cars are the lowest service requirement cars with the longest service intervals, at least they have been...

That said, I think having a good set of eyes on the car every other event is a good idea when it's new, more frequently as it ages.

It's one of the few that you could conceivably look after yourself at track days and HPDE's. Especially when driven some level off it's ultimate potential.

I'll tell you this, running WRL spec tires instead of stickies has really reduced how often I need to replace the brake on mine.
Old 02-21-2022, 08:09 PM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Good stuff, please keep them coming. Availability wise, I would be happy if I can get the car Q2 or Q3 2023.

Since I’m not chasing lap times, I’d be happy to run less sticky tires as well. Engine rebuild interval is probably long enough for me. Any downside to doing longer than 100 hours if not it’s not driven super hard?
Old 02-21-2022, 08:14 PM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Good stuff, please keep them coming. Availability wise, I would be happy if I can get the car Q2 or Q3 2023.

Since I’m not chasing lap times, I’d be happy to run less sticky tires as well. Engine rebuild interval is probably long enough for me. Any downside to doing longer than 100 hours if not it’s not driven super hard?
I think as long as you understand, you aren't going to get a new car. It'll be used at best, Porsche appears to only be selling new ones to teams who commit to a full year of IMSA(or whatever the big GT4 series is) in the US from what it looks like now.

As far as more than a 100 hours, I don't think anyone can say as its the new 992 engine hasn't gotten up there yet.
Old 02-21-2022, 08:47 PM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thuggo
I think as long as you understand, you aren't going to get a new car. It'll be used at best, Porsche appears to only be selling new ones to teams who commit to a full year of IMSA(or whatever the big GT4 series is) in the US from what it looks like now.

As far as more than a 100 hours, I don't think anyone can say as its the new 992 engine hasn't gotten up there yet.
Yeah, I wouldn’t be surprised if I end up not being able to buy a new one. The demand is high across the board!
Old 02-21-2022, 09:18 PM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I wouldn’t be surprised if I end up not being able to buy a new one. The demand is high across the board!
I mean...you literally can't right now(and I don't see that changing) unless you commit to an entire year of racing.....
Old 02-22-2022, 12:26 AM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thuggo
I mean...you literally can't right now(and I don't see that changing) unless you commit to an entire year of racing.....
AFAIK, 2023 allocations are not known yet. Here’s to hoping they will build enough so there are cars besides race teams.

And if the car will be built in 2024 too, I’m willing to wait.
Old 02-22-2022, 11:55 AM
whojoemama
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 57 Posts

my 718 Clubsport is very much “arrive and drive”, i have a crew of one with me, but in practice that could be split with someone else….at the track so far its just tire maintenance….17 track days in so far.
zracer196 (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 04:27 PM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by whojoemama
my 718 Clubsport is very much “arrive and drive”, i have a crew of one with me, but in practice that could be split with someone else….at the track so far its just tire maintenance….17 track days in so far.
That’s awesome to hear!

Tire maintenance is checking wear, pressure adjustment, and swapping to a different set as needed, yes?
Old 02-22-2022, 04:32 PM
whojoemama
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 57 Posts

yes. they'll change suspension settings as well for me when needed. and fill it up with gasoline. AFAIK, the big difference with the RS will be the rebuild every 100 hours.

Quick Reply: Clubsport “low maintenance”?