Sponsored by: Silver Rocket

Radio set up for club racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2024, 07:14 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 258 Posts
Default Radio set up for club racing

I'm preparing my 718 Clubsport for PCA Club racing. Bought it new as a track day spec from PMNA so it lacked some needed things, like safety nets, transponder.

Now getting around to set up radio comms. I'm trying to keep it simple and not too costly. I found a basic package with digital hand held radios here IMSA 5watt Expert Package (sampsonracing.com). Also found a harness from Race Radio that I think will work in the GT4 and includes a deutsch connector that should enable the PTT button on the steering wheel but would need a different connector for a hand held radio. Porsche 911 GT2 RS Clubsport | Racing Radios Wiring Harness. I have a call in to them.

I'll also need an antenna. I thought about a magnetic type mount and cable into the car, but tracks I'll race will see 140mph so I'll probably have to drill through the roof to mount.

Any suggestions on a simple system? and how to set up? any pitfalls to avoid? thanks for any advice
Old 01-29-2024, 07:19 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Unless you only race on flat small tracks, the 5 watt systems suck. For any larger tracks (Sebring, the Glen, Road America) you absolutely want a 30 watt base station system for the car. You can get away with 5 watt handhelds for the crew, but just realize you won't be able to hear them when you are on the other side of the track (but at least they will be able to hear you).
Old 01-30-2024, 12:36 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

dont skimp on radios, you will regret it

racing radios is the best for us club racers but buy motorola digital radios with the good headsets for the crew
The following 3 users liked this post by stujelly:
skeeler (02-02-2024), TRACKD (01-30-2024), zip465 (01-30-2024)
Old 02-02-2024, 02:08 PM
skeeler
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by stujelly
dont skimp on radios, you will regret it

racing radios is the best for us club racers but buy motorola digital radios with the good headsets for the crew
What he said.!!!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^

Quick Reply: Radio set up for club racing