anyway to remove the exhaust pops

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 05:40 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
It reduces burbles and pops to run in either normal or sport plus modes. Sport is the most over-fueled.
The GT4 has no "sport plus" mode. Just "Sport" on/off. I love the burbling/popping. Best sounding exhaust I've had.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:46 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

in the spyder sorry.

Factory clubsports don't sound like this..not sure why they did this, but it sounds like a joke. Not sure what the street GT4 sounds like.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:23 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by STLPCA
The GT4 has no "sport plus" mode. Just "Sport" on/off. I love the burbling/popping. Best sounding exhaust I've had.
Thanks for pointing that out, I was not aware. I figured it has 3 modes like the other 981's and many 991's. Agree they sound awesome with the burbling.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:08 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1
in the spyder sorry.

Factory clubsports don't sound like this..not sure why they did this, but it sounds like a joke. Not sure what the street GT4 sounds like.
Maybe Dundon or another tuner can eliminate the Spyder's artificial burbles, I'd also like the catalyst warm up phase tuned out.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:05 AM
GTCroc
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burble, Snap and Pop....maybe a lawyer group??

Burble, Snap and Pop....maybe a lawyer group?? BUT NO!!!....here's the straight skinny ......

https://www.cartalk.com/blogs/dear-c...pipe-seriously
Old 06-29-2018, 02:06 AM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

solution pending....stay tuned.....
Old 06-29-2018, 01:18 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

If you want to package up your burbles and pops and ship them to me, I’ll pay the shipping. I like my burbles and pops and wouldn’t mind adding some more.

But these are OEM burbles and pops right, not aftermarket?
Old 06-29-2018, 01:34 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1
in the spyder sorry.

The street GT4 also has the contrived exhaust noise. It's annoying as it's exactly the same series of pops and farts every time you lift off the throttle! Therefore not random and some programming crap.
I guess it's supposed to be 'cool' and make more young pups buy the cars or something?
Old 06-29-2018, 02:37 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
The street GT4 also has the contrived exhaust noise. It's annoying as it's exactly the same series of pops and farts every time you lift off the throttle! Therefore not random and some programming crap.
I guess it's supposed to be 'cool' and make more young pups buy the cars or something?
I tested and found they're not contrived.
With conventional straight through race mufflers the burbles aren't there, adding a resonance chamber brings them back.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:00 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
As I mentioned in my post above, this is incorrect. Many cars in the Porsche lineup have the exact same programmed series of pops...the GT4 is not one of them.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:44 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 169 Posts

I believe they are all contrived.

Exhaust pops in carbureted cars used to be caused by high engine vacuum when the throttle blades were suddenly closed at high RPM when lifting off the throttle.

Carburetors are not able to easily deal with this higher than normal vacuum situation well and fuel "pull over" can occur from the idle circuit, accelerator pumps, and main venturi. This richens up the mixture quite a bit and the hot unburn fuel hitting the exhaust causes explosions in the manifolds.

In modern cars, the fuel injectors are simply turned off when you lift off the throttle. No extra fuel is introduced so this condition is minimized.

To make these noises on modern cars they can choose to introduce fuel after a sudden throttle lift and even cut the ignition for a few cycles if they choose.

Jaguar and Porsche started this silly popping trend. A little is ok but my X3 M40i sounds like firecrackers in sport mode. It gets old quick.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:37 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 44 Posts

Contrived in the sense that the pops (much like any other trait) are deliberately engineered in the exhaust system to provide a sense of drama...yes, I'll agree with that. But my very specific point is that I like when these pops appear to occur naturally, which they do in the GT4.

There are many cars (you correctly identified Jaguar and even other Porsches) which sound like they default to the same identical 3 second audio loop of noises anytime you let off throttle. This gets very annoying very quickly, as you can accurately predict the exact sequence and cadence of the pops, leading it to sound very phony and forced. I don't like knowing I'm about to hear the same exact sound every time I let off throttle. With my car, pops come spontaneously and there is no discernible pre-determined pattern. To me, this is a big difference and the only point I was attempting to make.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:01 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,137 Likes on 1,199 Posts

Originally Posted by switchface
Contrived in the sense that the pops (much like any other trait) are deliberately engineered in the exhaust system to provide a sense of drama...yes, I'll agree with that. But my very specific point is that I like when these pops appear to occur naturally, which they do in the GT4.

There are many cars (you correctly identified Jaguar and even other Porsches) which sound like they default to the same identical 3 second audio loop of noises anytime you let off throttle. This gets very annoying very quickly, as you can accurately predict the exact sequence and cadence of the pops, leading it to sound very phony and forced. I don't like knowing I'm about to hear the same exact sound every time I let off throttle. With my car, pops come spontaneously and there is no discernible pre-determined pattern. To me, this is a big difference and the only point I was attempting to make.
+1000
Old 07-06-2018, 08:12 PM
GT4John
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

To me this is like Tom Brady posting a thread titled,"Wife to hot. How do I make uglier?"
Old 07-06-2018, 08:18 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

except on the spyder, they sound horrible...and sound the same each and every time.

Quick Reply: anyway to remove the exhaust pops