Sponsored by: APR

981 Boxster GTS/Spyder Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 12:49 AM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 72 Posts

no knock on the spyders but
today in my 981 bgts non -dd i had the roof up and down like 5 times dodging some tstorms on 2 hour jaunt to mtk. so it does come in handy lol.
the diff in sound with top down is addicting.
Old 07-29-2020, 01:13 AM
thedude abides
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jago
no knock on the spyders but
today in my 981 bgts non -dd i had the roof up and down like 5 times dodging some tstorms on 2 hour jaunt to mtk. so it does come in handy lol.
the diff in sound with top down is addicting.
Certainly something to think about, especially where I live in the WA state. For a long roadie, I’d probably put the top up for freeway driving (in case of rain emergencies) but put it down for back roads as long as the weather looks decent. The ease of the BGTS top is super convenient no doubt.

So much to consider!
Old 07-29-2020, 01:21 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,061 Posts

981 spyder is the better drive
it’s a great car.
porsche nailed that one
my favorite of the post 997 gt cars
would still have mine if i didn’t burn so easily....
The following users liked this post:
pdds (08-03-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 01:41 AM
thedude abides
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
981 spyder is the better drive
it’s a great car.
porsche nailed that one
my favorite of the post 997 gt cars
would still have mine if i didn’t burn so easily....
Sunscreen and tightly woven fabric to the rescue!

Very happy to hear it’s a great driving car.
Old 07-29-2020, 02:29 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 607 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by thedude abides
And the sound to me is critical! I had forgotten about the 718 sound attenuators. The 981 sound is superb.
Yep, the 981 sound is indeed superb. One of the many superb things about the 981 platform with any engine, even better with PSE, and better again with headers and an x-pipe tailpipe tip.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:29 AM
DrBillyD
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts

And welcome any comments from those who have been fortunate enough to drive both cars, that would really be helpful from a compare/contrast standpoint.
Cheers
I had a 2015 BGTS, 6MT, PASM, dark blue metallic/black interior, replaced cats with CarGraphic street headers, o/w stock. Sweet ride; loved it.

Traded it in for a 2016 Boxster Spyder, 6MT, guards red/black interior, as a bonus the CarGraphics headers fit both 3.4L (BGTS) and 3.8L (Spyder) engines. Sweeter ride; love it more.....

Thoughts, in no particular order.....

Traded for the Spyder because of color (a bright red convertible??? c'mon, man!), seats (GTS had 4 way; Spyder has 18-way), engine upgrade, and styling (the humps, man!).

The Spyder has a firmer ride (duh!) than GTS. Even with GTS set in "sport plus" mode, the Spyder is still firmer. Which means that the GTS is a better highway cruiser/weekend getwawy car but the Spyder is more fun on the twisties around where I live.

The engine makes a difference (again, duh!). The 3.8 has more low end power and torque. Has more of a "whoa! this puppy could get away from me if I don't watch it" vibe than the 3.4 (to me, this is a "good thing"). I'd love to test drive a 718 with the 4.0 and see what I think. I remember test driving a 718 S and how the torque curve felt so different than my 981.

The top: Have to admit, I do miss the convenience of a one-button top. However, I do think the Spyder top looks better up as compared to the GTS. Also, the thing that bugs me about Boxsters (and 911 Cabrios for that matter) is the way the top is still visible when it's down. I like that the Spyder hides it all under the humps (the humps, man.... the HUMPS!). Spyder top is single ply; GTS top has multiple layers. So Spyder with top up lets you hear more engine/exhaust sound while GTS would be better if you want to do a long, multi-day road trip.

The sound. When I test drove the GTS, the thing that sold me on it was the sound. With PSE engaged and the engine screaming as it nears red-line, the sound is intoxicating. Paying north of $100K for a car that you're going to have to pay another $5-10K to redo the exhaust to get rid of the <expletive deleted> "particulate filters" so you can have the sound isn't something I'd willingly sign up for. Swapping the cats makes it even more magical. (Background: I got the CarGraphics headers used from a fellow Rennlister for about 1/2 retail; IDK if I'd pony up for full retail on them. Nothing wrong with them, just the MSRP is pretty high.)

Obviously, highly individualized decision. For me with things like this, it helps to write down what's important to you, prioritize that list, then go shopping, If I can find a car (or even better car(s)) with all or most of what's on my list, then I let emotion take over. When I get a smile that won't go away, I know I've found it.

Good luck!

Old 07-29-2020, 12:01 PM
thedude abides
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrBillyD
I had a 2015 BGTS, 6MT, PASM, dark blue metallic/black interior, replaced cats with CarGraphic street headers, o/w stock. Sweet ride; loved it.

Traded it in for a 2016 Boxster Spyder, 6MT, guards red/black interior, as a bonus the CarGraphics headers fit both 3.4L (BGTS) and 3.8L (Spyder) engines. Sweeter ride; love it more.....

Thoughts, in no particular order.....

Traded for the Spyder because of color (a bright red convertible??? c'mon, man!), seats (GTS had 4 way; Spyder has 18-way), engine upgrade, and styling (the humps, man!).

The Spyder has a firmer ride (duh!) than GTS. Even with GTS set in "sport plus" mode, the Spyder is still firmer. Which means that the GTS is a better highway cruiser/weekend getwawy car but the Spyder is more fun on the twisties around where I live.

The engine makes a difference (again, duh!). The 3.8 has more low end power and torque. Has more of a "whoa! this puppy could get away from me if I don't watch it" vibe than the 3.4 (to me, this is a "good thing"). I'd love to test drive a 718 with the 4.0 and see what I think. I remember test driving a 718 S and how the torque curve felt so different than my 981.

The top: Have to admit, I do miss the convenience of a one-button top. However, I do think the Spyder top looks better up as compared to the GTS. Also, the thing that bugs me about Boxsters (and 911 Cabrios for that matter) is the way the top is still visible when it's down. I like that the Spyder hides it all under the humps (the humps, man.... the HUMPS!). Spyder top is single ply; GTS top has multiple layers. So Spyder with top up lets you hear more engine/exhaust sound while GTS would be better if you want to do a long, multi-day road trip.

The sound. When I test drove the GTS, the thing that sold me on it was the sound. With PSE engaged and the engine screaming as it nears red-line, the sound is intoxicating. Paying north of $100K for a car that you're going to have to pay another $5-10K to redo the exhaust to get rid of the <expletive deleted> "particulate filters" so you can have the sound isn't something I'd willingly sign up for. Swapping the cats makes it even more magical. (Background: I got the CarGraphics headers used from a fellow Rennlister for about 1/2 retail; IDK if I'd pony up for full retail on them. Nothing wrong with them, just the MSRP is pretty high.)

Obviously, highly individualized decision. For me with things like this, it helps to write down what's important to you, prioritize that list, then go shopping, If I can find a car (or even better car(s)) with all or most of what's on my list, then I let emotion take over. When I get a smile that won't go away, I know I've found it.

Good luck!
This is just the perspective I’m looking for—thank you!

Your comments about the top are pretty important to me. We travel quite often from WA state to AZ to our place down there and from that perspective the GTS quieter and easier-to-use top would be a big advantage. So maybe the GTS is the best combo of a fun/twisties car and roadie car?

Also, concerning the suspension on the GTS vs Spyder: I found the x73 suspension on the GTS cars I’ve driven to be awesome—wouldn’t want it stiffer or softer. Is the Spyder suspension stiffer than the x73?

Your comments now make me lean more towards the GTS! I really need to drive the Spyder to compare.
Old 07-29-2020, 12:45 PM
DrBillyD
Racer

This is just the perspective I’m looking for—thank you!

Your comments about the top are pretty important to me. We travel quite often from WA state to AZ to our place down there and from that perspective the GTS quieter and easier-to-use top would be a big advantage. So maybe the GTS is the best combo of a fun/twisties car and roadie car?

Also, concerning the suspension on the GTS vs Spyder: I found the x73 suspension on the GTS cars I’ve driven to be awesome—wouldn’t want it stiffer or softer. Is the Spyder suspension stiffer than the x73?

Your comments now make me lean more towards the GTS! I really need to drive the Spyder to compare.
You're welcome.

Rennlist being what it is, someone will correct me on this if I'm wrong but I believe the X73 suspension is standard on the 981 Spyder and indeed, PASM isn't even an option for it. Don't know if this holds for 718 cars.

If I were looking at doing 1500 mile road trips twice or more a year (that's about right for Seattle to Phoenix, isn't it?), I'd look more at the GTS than the Spyder. PASM with sport plus engaged is no slouch and you can have plenty of fun on a twisty road. PASM in normal mode is going to be a lot easier on the derriere on a long road trip than X73 would be. As you mention, the multi-ply roof of the GTS is also more audibly comfortable than the Spyder roof on a long road trip. Again, don't know that single-ply/mulit-ply top holds for 718 cars.

Honestly, if I were thinking about a convertible for a long road trip, I'd take a look at the Lexus LC500. Granted, it's probably nowhere near as fun on a twisty road as a Spyder but it looks like a pretty sweet ride!

Mix up a white Russian for me, will ya... DUDE! ;-)
Old 07-29-2020, 01:01 PM
thedude abides
Rennlist Member

You're welcome.

Rennlist being what it is, someone will correct me on this if I'm wrong but I believe the X73 suspension is standard on the 981 Spyder and indeed, PASM isn't even an option for it. Don't know if this holds for 718 cars.

If I were looking at doing 1500 mile road trips twice or more a year (that's about right for Seattle to Phoenix, isn't it?), I'd look more at the GTS than the Spyder. PASM with sport plus engaged is no slouch and you can have plenty of fun on a twisty road. PASM in normal mode is going to be a lot easier on the derriere on a long road trip than X73 would be. As you mention, the multi-ply roof of the GTS is also more audibly comfortable than the Spyder roof on a long road trip. Again, don't know that single-ply/mulit-ply top holds for 718 cars.

Honestly, if I were thinking about a convertible for a long road trip, I'd take a look at the Lexus LC500. Granted, it's probably nowhere near as fun on a twisty road as a Spyder but it looks like a pretty sweet ride!

Mix up a white Russian for me, will ya... DUDE! ;-)
I was pretty impressed by the x73 suspension. For perspective, I just sold a 987.1 Cayman S without PASM and with 19" wheels so I know what an uncomfortable ride feels like--and we drove that home from SoCal when I purchased! I swear I could feel if I rolled over a marble in that car. So even though the X73 is stiffer, it felt soooo much better than my Cayman.

Funny you mention the LC500, I did take a look at those. Just sounded like a heavier car and no MT so I crossed that one off my list.

May be leaning more towards the GTS now!

White Russian coming up! : )
Old 07-29-2020, 02:23 PM
Jawnathin
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

Billy’s summary was a great read. Always enlightening to read from an owner of both models.

One comment to add on X73. It is firmer than PASM GTS and rides 10mm lower. Between the 981 GTS and Spyder, both with X73, I recall that the shock valving on the Spyder is slightly different due to the difference in weight distribution but are otherwise the same. I thought I read the anti roll bars may be thicker too but I need to look up part numbers to confirm that. In any case, ride quality should be nearly identical.

I think X73 rides quite good, especially for the performance and the -20mm ride height looks perfect on these cars. However, I agree with the earlier comments that a PASM GTS will be a more comfortable ride and makes for a more relaxed highway cruiser.

Both cars are great and you’ll be happy with either. Good luck.
Old 07-29-2020, 03:00 PM
thedude abides
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Billy’s summary was a great read. Always enlightening to read from an owner of both models.

One comment to add on X73. It is firmer than PASM GTS and rides 10mm lower. Between the 981 GTS and Spyder, both with X73, I recall that the shock valving on the Spyder is slightly different due to the difference in weight distribution but are otherwise the same. I thought I read the anti roll bars may be thicker too but I need to look up part numbers to confirm that. In any case, ride quality should be nearly identical.

I think X73 rides quite good, especially for the performance and the -20mm ride height looks perfect on these cars. However, I agree with the earlier comments that a PASM GTS will be a more comfortable ride and makes for a more relaxed highway cruiser.

Both cars are great and you’ll be happy with either. Good luck.
I think I'd be happy with either system but the X73 really sets the car off as far as ride height goes and seemed plenty comfortable. I think if I were to list my biggest options they would be:

-MT
-X73 suspension
-Full leather
-either 14 way or 18 way seats
-heated seats (plenty of cold, non-rain days where I live!)
-color other than black (really hard to keep clean/looking nice) or Agate Grey (just not a "sports car" color)
-satin black wheels
Old 07-29-2020, 03:07 PM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

After owning manual pcars for 10 years, ordered 2015 BGTS with PDK, its a superior transmission. The 3.4 has a higher pitched wail than the 3.8 or 4.0, really wicked with race headers, Considering a Spyder now that PDK is available but might rather have a GTS 4.0 due to more interior options plus I prefer to press a button to operate the top.
Old 07-29-2020, 03:12 PM
thedude abides
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John Ferguson
After owning manual pcars for 10 years, ordered 2015 BGTS with PDK, its a superior transmission. The 3.4 has a higher pitched wail than the 3.8 or 4.0, really wicked with race headers, Considering a Spyder now that PDK is available but might rather have a GTS 4.0 due to more interior options plus I prefer to press a button to operate the top.
No question the PDK is fantastic, love it on my wife's Macan S.

Unfortunately, I only had a mere 9 months on my 987.1 Cayman S (my first Pcar) with a MT and so I'm wanting for more. Maybe after driving a MT for a few years I'll be ready to make the switch to the PDK--certainly a lot of them to choose from!

The new GTS 4.0s look like they are going to be great cars for sure and that easier to operate top is certainly a nice thing to have, very convenient.
Old 07-29-2020, 04:32 PM
DrBillyD
Racer

One more thing.....

Scored *major* points with GF when I pointed out the fire extinguisher at the front of the passenger seat in the Spyder and told her I had that put in because...... she's so HOT! :-)
Old 07-29-2020, 04:46 PM
thedude abides
Rennlist Member

One more thing.....

Scored *major* points with GF when I pointed out the fire extinguisher at the front of the passenger seat in the Spyder and told her I had that put in because...... she's so HOT! :-)
Awesome! I like how you roll!!

My old Cayman S also had a fire extinguisher but only on the driver's seat, so I couldn't use that line with my wife--wrong side of the car! Food for thought, tho...

Quick Reply: 981 Boxster GTS/Spyder Question