Sponsored by: APR

981 Boxster GTS/Spyder Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 02:12 AM
thedude abides
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 53 Posts
Default 981 Boxster GTS/Spyder Question

Having sold my 987.1 Cayman S a few weeks ago, I've been on the hunt for a 981 BGTS with MT. As my hunt has progressed, I've noticed that there are a fair more Spyders for sale nationwide than there are GTS's. I've not driven a Spyder yet, but have driven a couple of GTS cars, both with PDK. Fantastic cars, but not the colors/options I was looking for. The Spyder definitely intrigues me (whichever car I get would not be my DD).

So my question is this: with the North American allocation for 981 Spyders smaller than the allocation for the 981 GTS cars, why are there more Spyders for sale right now? Are previous owners waiting on the newest Spyder edition or are the GTS cars more desirable so people are holding on to them?

And welcome any comments from those who have been fortunate enough to drive both cars, that would really be helpful from a compare/contrast standpoint.

Cheers
Old 07-28-2020, 07:29 AM
Kancamagus
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 52 Posts

IIRC there were something like 2200 Spyders produced worldwide, 800+ to NA. 981 Boxster GTS numbers are harder to find, it seems more like speculation but I have seen ~450 in 2015, and ~200 in 2016 worldwide. Looking at advertised cars for sale the BGTS is always much more rare.
Old 07-28-2020, 10:25 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 607 Likes on 416 Posts

Plus the new GTS in 4.0L is giving some previous 3.8L Spyder owners reason to change.
Old 07-28-2020, 12:00 PM
thedude abides
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by okie981
Plus the new GTS in 4.0L is giving some previous 3.8L Spyder owners reason to change.
I think you nailed it with this observation.
In looking at the specs for the new GTS and Spyder, both have 4L engines, with the GTS at 394hp and the Spyder at 414. The GTS will start at around $86k and the Spyder at $96k. So for the same price as many 981 Spyders are selling for right now, one could purchase a brand new GTS with a more powerful engine and easier-to-use convertible top. In fact, one could argue that it would make no sense to purchase a new Spyder over the new GTS given nearly identical engine specs.

With these new engine performance numbers, it makes no sense to me right now to purchase a 981 Spyder over a 981 GTS as the new GTS will have a better overall engine. The only way it would make sense to purchase a 981 Spyder would be if the prices for them really begin to fall in the next few months as the 2021s become available. Many of the used Spyders for sale right now have been on the market for months, so I would expect prices may continue to fall. At that point, it may be worth considering a 981 Spyder.

Old 07-28-2020, 01:10 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by thedude abides
With these new engine performance numbers, it makes no sense to me right now to purchase a 981 Spyder over a 981 GTS as the new GTS will have a better overall engine.
But those humps. Oh those humps. Twenty large right there.
The following users liked this post:
pdds (08-03-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 01:33 PM
thedude abides
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
But those humps. Oh those humps. Twenty large right there.
Good point!
Old 07-28-2020, 04:59 PM
Lvanpelt729
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

If you think the 981 Spyder is just the engine, you're totally missing the point.
The following 3 users liked this post by Lvanpelt729:
Mark Dreyer (08-01-2020), pdds (08-03-2020), skl (08-01-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 05:27 PM
thedude abides
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lvanpelt729
If you think the 981 Spyder is just the engine, you're totally missing the point.
Not thinking that at all, which is why I’m so intrigued to drive one and compare to the GTS models I’ve driven.

But I do think with the new 718s coming out soon with the larger engine (the new GTS 718 will have a larger engine than the current 981 Spyder), the 981 Spyder prices should drop a bit. Or so I hope!

Anyhow, certainly the 981 Spyder is more than just the engine.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:16 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 607 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Lvanpelt729
The front bumper on the 981 Spyder, a la GT4 but with smaller splitter lip, is the best feature on the car, styling-wise, IMO of course. Not bashing Spyders here at all, they are cool cars, but I do like the look of the non-Spyder trunk/engine cover area better, and the 9 second convertible top up/down at any speed up to 31 mph is sooooo nice. The convertible top of the 981 Spyder looks sexier when up, for sure, but not so practical, but also saying that with understanding this doesn't matter to Spyder lovers. I like my rear window I can see clearly out of on track with the top up, and with the top down, I like the look of the non-Spyder cars better.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:06 PM
hsattley
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by thedude abides
Not thinking that at all, which is why I’m so intrigued to drive one and compare to the GTS models I’ve driven.

But I do think with the new 718s coming out soon with the larger engine (the new GTS 718 will have a larger engine than the current 981 Spyder), the 981 Spyder prices should drop a bit. Or so I hope!

Anyhow, certainly the 981 Spyder is more than just the engine.
For 981 BGTS vs Spyder, I think you should look for a good 981 Spyder. Used 981 GTS's aren't great value because they're basically well-equipped 981 S's with a bit more power and a different bumper; used 981 S's with the same options cost at least $10k less. Plus, as others have said, very few BGTS's were made, so BGTS cars hold their value too well compared to BS's. The Spyder not only has a larger engine and better aero, but also is lighter, has a better steering rack, and has more unique looks. The manual roof shouldn't be an issue since the car won't be a DD.

I doubt the new 718 GTS/Spyder models will affect the equivalent 981 prices enough to swing your decision one way or another. The Spyder is a special car and will retain its value quite well over time regardless of engine size (i.e. the 987 Spyder had the exact same engine as the 987 S but with 10 more hp, and yet prices are much closer to MSRP than you would expect for a nearly 10 year old car). Plus, while it's true that the 718 BGTS 4.0 has a more powerful engine and is priced around where used 981 Spyders sell for (~$88k base), no one buys a stripped Porsche, especially at that price point. Tack on ~20% of the base cost in options (fairly normal) plus delivery fees, and you're looking at $105k+ for a car that likely won't get to the U.S. until next summer.

Also, this is a personal thing, but for me, the Boxster has always been more about the driving experience than outright power. I would focus less on engine size/power and more on which car you think will make you smile more and get you more value for your money. Any of the cars you're considering are more than fast enough, and if you really want more power, just get a chip tune.
The following 3 users liked this post by hsattley:
Jawnathin (07-29-2020), manifold danger (08-03-2020), pdds (08-03-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 09:11 PM
hsattley
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Plus, I think the 981 generation will also sound better stock. U.S. 718 BGTS/Spyders get sound attenuators which will restrict the sound somewhat (see the last paragraph: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/), whereas the 981's don't have this.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:38 PM
thedude abides
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hsattley
For 981 BGTS vs Spyder, I think you should look for a good 981 Spyder. Used 981 GTS's aren't great value because they're basically well-equipped 981 S's with a bit more power and a different bumper; used 981 S's with the same options cost at least $10k less. Plus, as others have said, very few BGTS's were made, so BGTS cars hold their value too well compared to BS's. The Spyder not only has a larger engine and better aero, but also is lighter, has a better steering rack, and has more unique looks. The manual roof shouldn't be an issue since the car won't be a DD.

I doubt the new 718 GTS/Spyder models will affect the equivalent 981 prices enough to swing your decision one way or another. The Spyder is a special car and will retain its value quite well over time regardless of engine size (i.e. the 987 Spyder had the exact same engine as the 987 S but with 10 more hp, and yet prices are much closer to MSRP than you would expect for a nearly 10 year old car). Plus, while it's true that the 718 BGTS 4.0 has a more powerful engine and is priced around where used 981 Spyders sell for (~$88k base), no one buys a stripped Porsche, especially at that price point. Tack on ~20% of the base cost in options (fairly normal) plus delivery fees, and you're looking at $105k+ for a car that likely won't get to the U.S. until next summer.

Also, this is a personal thing, but for me, the Boxster has always been more about the driving experience than outright power. I would focus less on engine size/power and more on which car you think will make you smile more and get you more value for your money. Any of the cars you're considering are more than fast enough, and if you really want more power, just get a chip tune.
Great points. Enough to sway me into looking at more Spyders! Yes as not my DD the roof is no big deal even living in the Pacific NW.

And although I really never look at a sports car as an "investment", I do think the Spyder will hold their value well compared to the S and GTS. And overall, a better looking car.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:40 PM
thedude abides
Rennlist Member

Plus, I think the 981 generation will also sound better stock. U.S. 718 BGTS/Spyders get sound attenuators which will restrict the sound somewhat (see the last paragraph: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/), whereas the 981's don't have this.
And the sound to me is critical! I had forgotten about the 718 sound attenuators. The 981 sound is superb.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:32 PM
Jawnathin
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

The GTS 4.0 will be a great car but the Spyders are very special. The beautiful styling and exhaust note make it a very memorable car to own and drive.

The GTS has a stronger engine but the 981 Spyder will be at least 100lbs lighter, so they probably aren’t that far apart performance wise. That said, I don’t subscribe to the belief that the Spyder is about stopwatch performance specs or lap times, it’s more about the driving experience. It’s plenty quick enough to be a fun car which is all it really needs to be.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jawnathin:
Mark Dreyer (08-01-2020), pdds (08-03-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 12:23 AM
thedude abides
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
The GTS 4.0 will be a great car but the Spyders are very special. The beautiful styling and exhaust note make it a very memorable car to own and drive.

The GTS has a stronger engine but the 981 Spyder will be at least 100lbs lighter, so they probably aren’t that far apart performance wise. That said, I don’t subscribe to the belief that the Spyder is about stopwatch performance specs or lap times, it’s more about the driving experience. It’s plenty quick enough to be a fun car which is all it really needs to be.
All good points. And that’s exactly what I want my car to be—an “experience” each time I get behind the wheel.

Quick Reply: 981 Boxster GTS/Spyder Question