Sponsored by: APR

Thoughts on this Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2021, 11:51 PM
MaddMike
Drifting

Received 1,737 Likes on 846 Posts
Default Thoughts on this Spyder?

It is a beautiful build although I think it may be overpriced by $5-$10k. It is CPO so at least peace of mind for two years.

I was actually looking for a 718 but I can't get an allocation and the used market is about $20k over MSRP. Crazy that a 2016 is asking MSRP but as we know with Porsche, it is all about the right colors and options.

Still, I would love the forum's collective wisdom on this. It the current pricing a spike that I should wait it out or is it the new normal.

Would you buy this car if you were in the market?

Should I wait a year and hope that I get a 718 allocation at MSRP?

Is the 718 worth it over the 981 (I could not find many direct comparisons)?

What do you think is a fair price? I honestly think $98 is fair but know they won't come down 10k.

Thanks for any input.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1277255

Last edited by MaddMike; 11-26-2021 at 11:54 PM.
Old 11-27-2021, 01:21 PM
MaddMike
Drifting

100 views and no comments? Usually they say opinions are like a-holes but in this case, I actually want them.

Here is a walk around video and some pics for attention.

Old 11-27-2021, 02:23 PM
~Lefty~
Advanced

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

@MaddMike - do you have a max budget in mind?
Old 11-27-2021, 02:34 PM
MaddMike
Drifting

Originally Posted by ~Lefty~
@MaddMike - do you have a max budget in mind?
Maybe $130 but more importantly, I change out cars every 2+ years so for me the total cost of ownership is more important (eg, if the value is going to drop 30k in the next two years then it is not worth it for me).
Old 11-27-2021, 07:56 PM
Jawnathin
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

Price wise, it is on the higher end of the Spyder market but well maintained 981 GT4s and Spyders going for around MSRP or above is normal in today’s market. It’s just that this example is a high end build with a few uncommon options not found on most Spyders. The cars are well equipped as standard so options like the Burmester and leather wrapped trim are nice to have but not must haves. How important and if you’re willing to pay for them are up to you. It also is CPO which also adds to the market value.

GT Silver over classic interior is the heritage colorway for Spyders. My Spyder is the same and also has the tinted taillights and black wheels. I like this combination very much.

Generally speaking both the 981 and 718 are great cars and offer similar experiences. My take is the 718 is more performance/track oriented while the 981 is more driving purity/street oriented but both are very good in either environment. Which is better and if it’s worth it is a matter of personal preference and how you plan to use the car.

The nice thing about the 981 Spyder is they made very few of them. Less than 850 in North America and less than 2500 world wide. The limited production helps them maintain their value very well. The cost of entry is tough but you make it back upon resale so total cost of ownership is reasonable.

If you like the car then make an offer you’re comfortable with. If they don’t accept then move on, nothing to lose. Good luck, they’re great cars.
Old 11-27-2021, 09:21 PM
MaddMike
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Price wise, it is on the higher end of the Spyder market but well maintained 981 GT4s and Spyders going for around MSRP or above is normal in today’s market. It’s just that this example is a high end build with a few uncommon options not found on most Spyders. The cars are well equipped as standard so options like the Burmester and leather wrapped trim are nice to have but not must haves. How important and if you’re willing to pay for them are up to you. It also is CPO which also adds to the market value.

GT Silver over classic interior is the heritage colorway for Spyders. My Spyder is the same and also has the tinted taillights and black wheels. I like this combination very much.

Generally speaking both the 981 and 718 are great cars and offer similar experiences. My take is the 718 is more performance/track oriented while the 981 is more driving purity/street oriented but both are very good in either environment. Which is better and if it’s worth it is a matter of personal preference and how you plan to use the car.

The nice thing about the 981 Spyder is they made very few of them. Less than 850 in North America and less than 2500 world wide. The limited production helps them maintain their value very well. The cost of entry is tough but you make it back upon resale so total cost of ownership is reasonable.

If you like the car then make an offer you’re comfortable with. If they don’t accept then move on, nothing to lose. Good luck, they’re great cars.
Good feedback. I had a few people on here PM me with feedback, pricing, and Spyder ownership experience so I'm much obliged.

I always wanted a GT4 but now in my early 40s and with two small children I honestly don't get much track time (maybe once a year) and when I do, I have been taking the motorcycle lately. So, a true GT, while nice to have "because racecar", is not a great car to live with and take for an occasional spin or to work. That is when I started looking at the Spyder. While I want a 718, I'm not going to pay 20-30K over MSRP because I am a working man and I don't have money to burn. I know the 981 market is a little high right now, but it has not seen the dips and spikes that some other cars have and I think the price will go down a bit when this Covid spike blows over but not the severe drop that I suspect some other models that are more common will see. For years I have been tracking the prices of the GT 918 cars and they never got too far off from MSRP.

I do love the options and colors of this one and it is very similar to my my 718 (fantasy) build. Yes, it is not as much a race car, but I like the looks as much or more from certain angles (although the 718 has better front and back lights but it also has more plastic). This car is lighter and a $1200 tune can get you to about 400hp from what I have read here. I only get to have one "fun" car and I just sold my Alfa Romeo QV (in my avatar) for almost what I paid for it 4 years ago (6% less). I can live with that as Italians do tend to depreciate pretty hard and this Covid spike gave me a chance to unload it. That makes for a nice down payment on the Spyder. I loved that Alfa BUT no manual. I actually bought a winter beater manual Subaru Impreza with a manual and it made me miss shifting my own gears. I will miss the 500+ explosive hp on that Alfa but the Spider's road feel probably has the edge (the Alfa is also brilliant).

All that to say that I made a deal, put down a deposit and will fly into Houston next Friday and drive it the 1,200 miles home. I have not owned a two seater or convertible since my old Miata so I look forward to that experience again. I don't need a race car, just something that not everyone else has that is fun to drive and decently fast and that I will always turn around and look at in the parking lot. This will me my first mid-engined car so I'm looking forward to it.

Last edited by MaddMike; 11-27-2021 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-27-2021, 11:13 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 224 Posts

Congrats!!!
The following users liked this post:
MaddMike (11-27-2021)
Old 11-28-2021, 01:39 AM
Jawnathin
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

Congrats! I hope everything checks out, the car looks great in the photos and video. A 1200 mile road trip sounds like a great way to become familiar with the car. The first day with mine was a 500 mile road trip through the Pacific Coast Highway and it was a blast.

The 718 is newer but the 981 is no consolation prize, it’s a special car and one that anyone would be proud to own. From what you shared about your needs, I think the Spyder is a great choice and you’ll be very happy with it.

While appearance is subjective, I greatly prefer the rear end styling of the 981. The way the taillight blends into the spoiler is one of my favorite design details of any car. It works especially well with the raised duckbill spoiler found on the Spyder and GT4.

Anyway, if you do decide to pick it up and drive it home, share pics and let us know your impressions. Good luck!
MaddMike (11-28-2021)
Old 11-28-2021, 02:56 PM
MaddMike
Drifting

Congrats! I hope everything checks out, the car looks great in the photos and video. A 1200 mile road trip sounds like a great way to become familiar with the car. The first day with mine was a 500 mile road trip through the Pacific Coast Highway and it was a blast.

The 718 is newer but the 981 is no consolation prize, it’s a special car and one that anyone would be proud to own. From what you shared about your needs, I think the Spyder is a great choice and you’ll be very happy with it.

While appearance is subjective, I greatly prefer the rear end styling of the 981. The way the taillight blends into the spoiler is one of my favorite design details of any car. It works especially well with the raised duckbill spoiler found on the Spyder and GT4.

Anyway, if you do decide to pick it up and drive it home, share pics and let us know your impressions. Good luck!
Thanks. I tend to do long distance purchases more than I admit to. My QV I bought in Miami and drove it back and I have bought three motorcycles in the last two years--all of them fly and ride. That's part of the fun getting to spend some quality time with the machine. I thought of shipping it as me leaving means I leave my wife with the four-year-old and the one-year-old but she told me to go and get that bonding time.

I am on the dealer's list now for a 718 as they sell them at MSRP. I can always flip it if my allocation actually comes up. There are definitely some things that are better on the 981--the exhaust sound being one of them.

Changed my Avatar since the Alfa is gone, back in the P-car family.
Old 11-28-2021, 03:16 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 224 Posts

This man speaks the truth. That branded split rear end to fit the Porsche logo on all their new cars is a downgrade on the 718 and ruins the sexiest rear end in the business. Hope the Mission R is a step forward.

Post pics from that road trip!

Name:  8Ayofwg.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  939.7 KB

Last edited by GeoJoe; 11-28-2021 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:01 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 887 Likes on 537 Posts

Though personally not a fan of black wheels, that car is a great spec if you want sofas. IMHO the 981 spyder is a sweet spot for driving enjoyment, but then I'm prejudice to mid-engined cars having driven my '71 914 for nearly 51 years.

The road trip is a great idea. One of my best was flying with my son to eastern Tennessee from Des Moines, IA to drive a 997.2 GT3 back home. Car was over a year old with only 700 miles on it- a crime in my book! We put more miles on it the first day driving it back to Iowa! Enjoy your trip home, you'll love the car!
Old 11-29-2021, 02:48 AM
MTN
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
This man speaks the truth. That branded split rear end to fit the Porsche logo on all their new cars is a downgrade on the 718 and ruins the sexiest rear end in the business. Hope the Mission R is a step forward.

Post pics from that road trip!

+1
Congrats! Hope you caught good enough weather to do some top down driving on the way home. Look for a route with tunnels if possible
Old 11-29-2021, 02:30 PM
MaddMike
Drifting

Originally Posted by skl
Though personally not a fan of black wheels, that car is a great spec if you want sofas. IMHO the 981 spyder is a sweet spot for driving enjoyment, but then I'm prejudice to mid-engined cars having driven my '71 914 for nearly 51 years.

The road trip is a great idea. One of my best was flying with my son to eastern Tennessee from Des Moines, IA to drive a 997.2 GT3 back home. Car was over a year old with only 700 miles on it- a crime in my book! We put more miles on it the first day driving it back to Iowa! Enjoy your trip home, you'll love the car!
I have to admit that I too am over black wheels. However, they do help hide the brake dust for non-PCCB cars.
Old 11-29-2021, 02:33 PM
MaddMike
Drifting

DME report shows only range 1. Paint meter also came back good.

I plan on driving back the whole way with the top down Dumb and Dumber style.

Old 11-29-2021, 04:03 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on your new purchase!
I just picked up a white Spyder and drove down to FL to get it but chickened out and decided to trailer it back!

Having owned 3 previous P cars including a GT 3 RS I can say that the Spyder is probably the best handling road car Porsche has ever built…but of course I might be a little biased..
MaddMike (11-29-2021)

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this Spyder?