Sponsored by: APR

Bringing the Spyder home 1,200 miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2021, 05:20 PM
MaddMike
Drifting

Received 1,737 Likes on 846 Posts
Default Bringing the Spyder home 1,200 miles

So, I closed my deal on my Spyder this past Friday. I flew down to Houston to pick it up. This thing was beautiful and the original order was pretty much the way I would have ordered it except I would have gotten the heated wheel and probably saved money on all the extended leather although it is beautiful especially in that garnet red.

Here are the options that I absolutely appreciate:
  • Bermester Sound: Absolutely necessary if you want to hear music / audiobooks above 80mph. I could even wear my motorcycle earplugs and hear everything crystal clear. I was very impressed by the sound quality and loudness of it
  • 18-way seats: I was told that this was an option that should be skipped on my 718 build but if you are actually going to use this as a driver's car, these were a lifesaver as the adjustments and lumber support meant that I would adjust pain points and keep driving till I needed fuel
  • Classic Spyder interior: While not functional, this was a must for me as I dislike black interiors--especially in a convertible. This really makes the car pop and makes it stand out from the plebeian Boxters
  • Painted roll hoops: once again, not necessary but once you see them, a car without them looks like it is missing something. The same goes for the painted intakes and (to a lesser extant) the painted lower mirrors

The extended leather and leather seat backs is very nice and makes the interior a very beautiful place to be and the black alcantara is a nice contrast to the red leather. I would have probably gone for silver wheels but these will be easier to keep "clean".

I tried to spend the night in Houston but couldn't sleep so I gave up around midnight and started driving. Made it to Lafayette, LA before the for got to thick and I stopped for the night. I drove most of the way with the roof down which is especially enjoyable at night. I did notice the MPG about 1 MPG lower without the roof up. I spent night 2 in Atlanta and met up with some old friends for dinner which made for an easy 6 hour drive on Sunday. Car was amazing and was a great highway cruiser.

I thought my Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio go a lot of attention, this thing take it to the next level. I get cars pulling up next to me with people yelling through the windows, every gas station or restaurant I stopped at, someone wanted to have a conversation about it. Not a car for introverts for sure. Best of all, my four-year-old loved it and I took her for a ride around the neighborhood after dinner.

Back to work today but once I get caught up this week, she is getting a good wash as the bug splatter is real. Step two of getting to know a car is a good hand wash and wax. Funny to think that I put 10% of the miles on a five-year-old car in one weekend. Cars are made to be driven!

Dealer pics and my pics.

The following 5 users liked this post by MaddMike:
BigBob (01-31-2022), colnagoG60 (12-06-2021), GT4Kevin (12-07-2021), JBM718GTS (01-14-2022), triode (12-07-2021)
Old 12-06-2021, 06:46 PM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

Congrats!
Old 12-06-2021, 07:11 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,970 Likes on 2,048 Posts

Congrats! Great looking car. Really like the spec.

Sounds like the transaction with PNH went well and the car was as described. Always nice to hear given that many people receive a car that is not as described.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:29 PM
optimaxed
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Congrats on collecting the car !

I like the picture of the bug splatter but need to get it cleaned up !

Did you manage to really open her up on some of those long straight roads ?

Old 12-06-2021, 10:51 PM
MaddMike
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Congrats! Great looking car. Really like the spec.

Sounds like the transaction with PNH went well and the car was as described. Always nice to hear given that many people receive a car that is not as described.
Yeah, really one reason why I wanted to go down in person instead of shipping it. the car is clean and is almost new condition. PPF on all the main areas have some dings in it but that's what its for. I thought of flying down, closing the deal, and then shipping it but cars are made to be driven.
Old 12-06-2021, 10:56 PM
MaddMike
Drifting

Originally Posted by optimaxed
Congrats on collecting the car !

I like the picture of the bug splatter but need to get it cleaned up !

Did you manage to really open her up on some of those long straight roads ?
Not really as I was trying to get home in one piece and not get arrested or a speeding ticket. I'm already in the dog house with the wife for leaving her for three days with the two kids (even though she told me to go). I'm further in the dog house once I got home and she realized that it is a two-seater and won't fit the family. I pointed out the fact that we already have two family cars and the car I sold to buy this (Giulia Quadrifoglio), although it could sit four people, never once did we all ride in it.

Anyway, all that to say that I was being pretty cautious on the highway but I did find some local roads to hoon around on. I thought of taking the scenic route back from Atlanta and hitting the Blue Ridge but I really needed to get home to minimize the damage.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:24 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 224 Posts

Congrats!

OP sells the family sedan.

Wife says "sure, go get your car!"

OP goes - brings home a bad *** Spyder that seats just 2.

The following users liked this post:
MaddMike (12-07-2021)
Old 12-06-2021, 11:36 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 887 Likes on 537 Posts

Good decision to do the road trip. Too bad one of your kids wasn't old enough to do it with you. From experience, that makes it even better!

(you must have the same car parking gene I have... always a corner spot! )
Old 12-07-2021, 08:21 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Nice! A close friend of mine has a nearly identical spyder, although his is Rhodium Silver, iirc, over Garnet — looks like yours is GT Silver? He bought his a couple years ago in Arizona and I offered to fly out with him and drive it back to ATL but he just bought it and shipped it, sight unseen. But at $70,000-even (negotiated price from a Ferrari dealer, go figure), it was the cheapest one in the country and it turned out to be exactly as presented. The ding was high mileage — 22,000, which in 2019 was pretty high for one of these.

Too bad you didn’t have the bandwidth to hit the NoGa and NoCar mountains on your way home, but there will be plenty of time for that!
MaddMike (12-07-2021)
Old 12-07-2021, 10:20 AM
MaddMike
Drifting

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
Congrats!

OP sells the family sedan.

Wife says "sure, go get your car!"

OP goes - brings home a bad *** Spyder that seats just 2.

Paying for it now. To be fair, I tried to show her pictures and video of it but she had no interest.
GeoJoe (12-08-2021)
Old 12-08-2021, 11:40 AM
Herb E.
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You only live once! Good move, beautiful car!
Old 12-08-2021, 12:10 PM
MaddMike
Drifting

Originally Posted by Herb E.
You only live once! Good move, beautiful car!
LOL, we have plenty of other cars. My wife has the family SUV and I just bought a family sedan which is why I felt I could sell the QV. You don't really need a 500hp carbon fiber filled family sedan and not once did the family all go in it (although I occasionally took my eldest daughter to school in it). We also have a Class A motor home and a toad for that.

My eldest is not old enough in NC to ride in the front seat so I have to wait another 7 months (although we did a parade lap around the neighborhood). So, my wife says I bought it just for me as no one else can use it. She sees it as another motorcycle--albeit an expensive one.

I did give it a quick wash yesterday and found 2 tiny rock chips that were not in the PPF but that is what happens when you drive a car. Overall, I'm very happy with the condition.
Old 12-08-2021, 12:38 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Congratulations on a beautiful Spyder!

I picked my white over classic interior a couple of weeks ago in Florida but chickened out and trailered it back.
BTW, we’re practically neighbors as I will be keeping mine in Pinehurst..
MaddMike (12-08-2021)
Old 12-08-2021, 05:43 PM
optimaxed
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Driving a car back on a road trip is fun !

When I bought mine last month I didn't fancy a 2100 mile drive back to Charlotte, especially in LWBs !
MaddMike (12-08-2021)
Old 12-09-2021, 01:36 PM
DrBillyD
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
I thought my Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio go a lot of attention, this thing take it to the next level. I get cars pulling up next to me with people yelling through the windows, every gas station or restaurant I stopped at, someone wanted to have a conversation about it. Not a car for introverts for sure. Best of all, my four-year-old loved it and I took her for a ride around the neighborhood after dinner.
Picked my daughter up from school one day in my Guards Red Spyder. When she got in she said "Dad, I feel like everybody's looking at us!" and I replied "Honey, that's kinda the point."

You should find the old Boxster ad that has a shot of a couple in a Boxster with the top down, cruising a coastal highway on a lovely day with the tag line: "Boxster. The perfect car for a family of five." and show it to your wife. LOL
skl (12-09-2021)

Quick Reply: Bringing the Spyder home 1,200 miles