Sponsored by: APR

Quick review: Softronic tune, stock GT4

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 11:21 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 134 Posts
Default Quick review: Softronic tune, stock GT4

Last week I got up the guts and cash to call Softronics for an ECU tune on my otherwise stock GT4. I say "guts" because I've never tuned any of my other cars, and I was a bit doubtful I would be able to notice a difference after install. But life is short - so I called on a Friday and spoke to Luke. Luke was super nice, even when I spaced on the word "tune" in my first call. I sounded like an idiot, but Luke was great. They sent the MyGenius device on Monday and I received it on Thursday.

Installing the DimSport software (needed to interact with the MyGenius) on a Windows computer is the only nuisance in this otherwise easy process. I tried installing the DimSport app on my wife's laptop and it repeatedly hit an error when updating the MyGenius firmware, crashing the update. But I tried again on my son's newer computer and it worked flawlessly - so not sure if it was a software issue or a computer issue. Later on, I would have another DimSport crash while uploading the new tune file to the MyGenius, but it succeeded on the 2nd try.

After the DimSport app is installed and the MyGenius updated, pulling the default ECU file from the car was extremely straightforward. Following the directions and going slowly and deliberately, it took fewer than 5 minutes in the car. Using the DimSport app to then pull the file off the MyGenius onto the computer was also quick and easy. Once you have the file on your computer, you send it over to Scott @ Softronics by just attaching it to an email like any other file attachment. I sent my file on Thursday night. Scott emailed back the new tune file before COB on Friday. Less than 24-hour turnaround!

BEWARE: If you're using Gmail, the return email with the tuned file might end up in the TRASH folder. Not the Spam folder - the TRASH folder, where Gmail search won't find it. I emailed back and forth with Scott 3 times before I realized I'd had it all along but Gmail wanted to automatically delete it. Sorry, Scott!

I installed the tune this afternoon by reversing the earlier process: Computer to MyGenius via DimSport app (took 2 attempts due to DimSport app crash), and then MyGenius to car. I was a bit worried this time because the instructions say it takes 15-40 minutes and "make sure your car is connected to a battery charger." I took a chance (since I don't own a charger and my battery is only about 6 months old) and started the download without a net. It was done in 11 minutes. It was funny to watch the car go through the motions. Dash lights lit up, fans came on, the wipers wiped a single wipe. The upload completed with no issues whatsoever. Afterward, the car started right up. TIP: Before connecting the MyGenius to the OBD port, turn the headlight switch from AUTO to OFF. It will keep the headlights from draining more battery during the upload.

Now, on to the drive. Once out of my driveway, I immediately noticed more oomph - even with a cold engine (it was 34°F today). The car felt noticeably peppier at low RPM. Scott says the tune doesn't properly kick in until ~30 miles have been driven, so I took it out on the highway and to some back roads. It was an absolute blast. The car seemed to have a new spirit. The torque boost I used to feel at 4000 was now kicking in around 3000, and I got that little hit of "whoa!" adrenaline I felt when I first drove the car a year ago. It also felt like it was revving up a little faster, but I'm not sure that was actually happening.

I did about 40 happy miles today testing out the torque curve, letting the car in front get ahead, and then flooring it to catch up. Speed limits were pretty low, so I couldn't get to the higher revs, but so far I am super happy with both the process and the outcome of the Softronic tune. My GT4 is noticeably stronger. I'm looking forward to Watkins Glen in July to see how it does on the back straight and how it pulls up the hill out of T6. Then I'll know for sure!

Thanks, Scott and Luke, for a great upgrade!
The following 2 users liked this post by mgordon18:
911F1 (01-28-2022), Jim Cobb (02-12-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 08:42 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 123 Posts

Enjoy! And I truly mean, “enjoy it now.” Before the end of next week it will be your new norm and unless you get back in somebody else’s stock GT4 you won’t remember how bad that flat spot in the midrange used to feel.

I did mine in conjunction with a Soul header (kept stock PSE) and at least I’m still addicted to and amazed by the improved sound, but the performance? I remember being amazed by it two years ago, but now it’s just “what a GT4 feels like” in my internal files.
The following 3 users liked this post by NoGaBiker:
Alpha Ice (03-25-2022), GT3FZS (06-12-2023), Soul Performance (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 01:54 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. I’m thinking about doing the same for my Spyder.
I have yet to hear of anyone who has any negative feedback…
Old 01-31-2022, 10:52 AM
MaddMike
Drifting

Received 1,738 Likes on 846 Posts

Good feedback. What was your deciding factor to go with Softronic vs. VFD or EVOMSit?
Old 01-31-2022, 11:47 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaddMike
Good feedback. What was your deciding factor to go with Softronic vs. VFD or EVOMSit?
  • Excellent reviews of the Softronic tune here and elsewhere on the web
  • Excellent reviews of Softronic's customer service and Scott, himself
  • Ease of install
  • Pricing
  • Partnership with Soul, in case I want to do headers (maybe next year?)
  • I got a better "feeling" going with Softronic than others. Not 100% sure why.
If I do go with headers/plenum/throttle body next year, I specifically won't do a new exhaust on top of it. I want to keep my car as quiet as it can be while still improving power and delivery. Soul's Street headers (with cats) seems to best fit that bill. My car does spend time at the track, but I want it to be livable as a street car. And to me, that means not pissing off my neighbors or being "that guy" driving around town. So Softronic's partnership with Soul will give me a specifically matching re-tune and save me a little bit of money when the time comes.
The following users liked this post:
MaddMike (01-31-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 01:47 PM
MaddMike
Drifting

Originally Posted by mgordon18
  • Excellent reviews of the Softronic tune here and elsewhere on the web
  • Excellent reviews of Softronic's customer service and Scott, himself
  • Ease of install
  • Pricing
  • Partnership with Soul, in case I want to do headers (maybe next year?)
  • I got a better "feeling" going with Softronic than others. Not 100% sure why.
If I do go with headers/plenum/throttle body next year, I specifically won't do a new exhaust on top of it. I want to keep my car as quiet as it can be while still improving power and delivery. Soul's Street headers (with cats) seems to best fit that bill. My car does spend time at the track, but I want it to be livable as a street car. And to me, that means not pissing off my neighbors or being "that guy" driving around town. So Softronic's partnership with Soul will give me a specifically matching re-tune and save me a little bit of money when the time comes.
Awesome. I PMed them here but haven't gotten a response. I guess I'll pick up the phone--old school.

I have a 718 Spyder on order but that won't be here for at least 5 months so I still want to play with my 981 Spyder while I wait and I may not end up getting the 718 as half a year is a long time for anything to happen.
Old 01-31-2022, 02:43 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaddMike
Awesome. I PMed them here but haven't gotten a response. I guess I'll pick up the phone--old school.

I have a 718 Spyder on order but that won't be here for at least 5 months so I still want to play with my 981 Spyder while I wait and I may not end up getting the 718 as half a year is a long time for anything to happen.
Yes. Try calling them. They've picked up the phone each time I've called.
Old 01-31-2022, 04:43 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 123 Posts

Your words are almost exact duplicates of mine a couple years ago. Wound up with Soul Street Headers + Softronic, installed at the same time and keeping the stock PSE. It absolutely scored a 100 of 100 for me on all five fronts that mattered:

1) perfectly well-mannered when off WOT with Loud button pushed, although still louder than stock, especially on the over-run burbles.

2) Completely like stock if the Loud Button is turned off, including no loud burbles on decel.

3) Zero (and I mean ZERO) drone at constant rpms, anywhere up or down the tach. I had a Turbo S that I put 3 different exhaust systems on to try and cure the excess quiet that car came with stock and every one of them just about killed my ears somewhere on the rpm range, generally where I cruised on the interstate.

4) Flat spot GONE. At least I can't feel it anymore. That was annoying the longer I owned the car. Rather than getting used to it, it bothered me more and more.

5) EXUBERANT under part- and full-throttle. I just love the volume AND the aural signature of the sound now. I loved it stock, I love it 27.9% more with Soul.

Bonus 6) I've never failed sound check at 3 tracks where plenty of people fail.

Last edited by NoGaBiker; 01-31-2022 at 04:45 PM.
GT3FZS (06-12-2023)
Old 01-31-2022, 05:06 PM
MaddMike
Drifting

Yes. Try calling them. They've picked up the phone each time I've called.
I went ahead and ordered it. Not doing any more mods as I only plan on keeping this car till July but that seems to be a good bang for the buck and easy to reverse to trade in.
Old 02-03-2022, 08:42 PM
MaddMike
Drifting

I have been unsuccessful. I installed the software on my PC, performed the updates multiple times, but I still get this error message when connected to the car. Any thoughts?

Old 02-03-2022, 09:47 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Hmmm. I would call Scott.
Old 02-04-2022, 12:34 AM
MaddMike
Drifting

Looks like the firewall on my PC was stopping the software from updating correctly. Since it is a work PC and I don't have admin rights, I borrowed my wife's and was able to download the stock file.
smlporsche (02-18-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 11:13 PM
MaddMike
Drifting

So, got the updated file today, loaded it to My Genius but when I got to the car, it said there was no file to upload. I redid the software update on My Genius and tried again. It worked this time.

I had a battery charger in the garage so I hooked it up to be safe but it was probably overkill as the whole process only took 10 minutes. I haven't driven it yet as I was holding my one-year-old with one hand as I did the update. I hope to take it out tomorrow.

Prior to this car, I had a Giulia Quadrifoglio with a tun on it. It was and amazing car and at 550hp, that thing would slam you into your seat once the turbos came on. I sold it as I missed driving a manual and I had had it for four years (which is long for me) and I was ready for something else.

I know a Spyder (short of a full DeMan swap) is never going to have that explosive acceleration, but this is the better car (except in practicality) but a little more pull will be appreciated.
Old 02-04-2022, 11:35 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 892 Likes on 539 Posts

I'm thinking of the softronic tune for my spyder. I have a Cobb PDK tune on my 991 turbo S coupe and to do that I just used their handheld unit. Do I need to use a PC laptop in order to do a softronic tune? I have an older PC I use with my Durametric and VAG-COM software but it fairly old. My newer laptop is a Mac. Was hoping the softronic tune was just with a handheld specific unit like the Cobb. And I am no computer geek- all that sh*t actually scares me a little as I'm pretty old school.
Old 02-05-2022, 01:18 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Yes. PC only. No software available for MacOS.

Quick Reply: Quick review: Softronic tune, stock GT4