Sponsored by: APR

Balancing beads or weights

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2022, 08:25 AM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Balancing beads or weights

What is the conventional wisdom. Is there any down side to using balancing beads if you get the type that are large enough not to interfere with the TPM's?
Thinking of tire replacement soon.
Old 07-08-2022, 10:08 AM
Last_935
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 165 Posts

I have used them on Adventure motorcycle tires (BMW R1150GS) but never on a car. My concern with using them on a GT4 is the tire's width and low profile. Motorcycle tires are comparatively narrow and of higher profile which makes the bead's use more effective. They are also static balanced (for the most part), where these cars require road force balancing. These cars are very sensitive to proper wheel balance and I'm not sure if beads would provide the necessary dynamic balance. If I were to use them, I would want to put the tire mounted wheel on a road force balancer before and after adding the beads to see their effectiveness. Additionally, I'm not sure what the advantage would be to using beads over road force balancing. Maybe someone who has experience with using them on cars could provide additional insight.
Old 07-14-2022, 11:50 AM
JoeB3
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

have to admit, didn't know balancing beads were a thing. had to google and youtube to educate myself. obviously was aware of adhesive weights, and down in south FL some of the performance shops which used to actually shave the tires to balance on the rims as opposed to applying adhesive weights. learned something through this thread
Old 07-19-2022, 03:21 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

while the beads may work, they are a pain. Just have the tires roadforce balanced and tape your weights.
The following users liked this post:
Last_935 (07-20-2022)

Quick Reply: Balancing beads or weights