Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

PCM on GT4: Yea or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 12:14 AM
oLuB8UchKxp
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM on GT4: Yea or nay?

So I'm coming from a 993 (with a tape deck!) so I'm not knowledgable about all this new fangled stuff.

I'm trying to decide if getting PCM is going to be worth it. Or more specifically, if the lack of PCM is going to hurt resale value (not that that's the ultimate metric but still).
Old 02-23-2015, 11:16 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

PCM is standard in the US. PCM Plus is the option and it adds a USB connection for a iPhone, etc. I am told that PCM will let you stream music over Bluetooth controlled by the device, but PCM Plus allows the touchscreen to to control the device via USB connection, at least in some respects.

At least that's what a current Cayman owner tells me current PCM does. I do NOT want Nav (use Waze on an iPhone), so I'm thinking PCM Plus for me. I think Plus gets you a higher resolution screen, too, but without Nav I doubt that is significant.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:36 AM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
PCM is standard in the US.
No, it is not on the GT4. It is on the 991. Do you mean "CDR"?
Old 02-23-2015, 11:39 AM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by oLuB8UchKxp
So I'm coming from a 993 (with a tape deck!) so I'm not knowledgable about all this new fangled stuff.

I'm trying to decide if getting PCM is going to be worth it. Or more specifically, if the lack of PCM is going to hurt resale value (not that that's the ultimate metric but still).
I have gone back and forth on this and I think I will just get it. I prefer the Nav features of my smartphone, but a modern car really should have these features. My DD Cayenne has the 2005 version of PCM and it is archaic, but the current version is quite good as far as factory systems go.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:53 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by sapman
No, it is not on the GT4. It is on the 991. Do you mean "CDR"?
You are right. PCM includes Nav. What is actually standard is "CDR audio system with Sound Package Plus - 9 speakers and 235 Watt output, 7-inch color touch screen, AM/FM radio with double tuner, single in-dash CD drive, also plays music in MP3, AAC and WMA format" and CDR Plus is an option that adds the USB connection, BUT as I now read this CDR Plus does not allow control of the device from the touchscreen display? One needs PCM (with Nav) for that?

What do I order to get a USB connection for a iPhone 6 that allows me to control it from the touchscreen display, but don't want Nav?

TIA,
Chris

CDR Plus
High-resolution 7-inch color (touchscreen) display including radio with RDS double-tuner and single CD/DVD drive with audio playback of MP3 music and audio/video DVDs.

Universal Audio Interface
Connection for AUX-IN, USB, iPod® audio sources. Operated through external device or PCM (depending on device and connection used). The system also supports the display of cover art and playback of podcasts and audio books.

SiriusXM® Satellite Radio Receiver
Enjoy your 3-month trial subscription to the All Access package with over 150 channels including commercial-free music, plus sports, exclusive talk, entertainment and news. Plus listen to SiriusXM Internet Radio everywhere on your computer, smartphone or tablet.

HD Radio Receiver
HD Radio technology provides access to a broad range of new digital programming on top of conventionally received FM stations. HD Radio also includes advanced audio and data features.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:01 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

I will skip it. I can see the appeal for many but I prefer strippers.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:04 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

^^^^ This is the option that is driving me insane. $1700 is a lot to get your hands on a USB port of you don't care about HD radio and satellite.

I will resign myself to listening to the AM radio and engine.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:04 PM
Dimmu
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered with as this will be my DD and I'm not a fan of fumbling around with a cell phone for nav. I can see why people wouldn't bother though.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:53 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,732 Likes on 2,698 Posts

Does anyone know if the CD player on standard CDR will play MP3 encoded CD's? They mention it on the Sound system plus, but not the base...
Old 02-23-2015, 02:54 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sapman
I have gone back and forth on this and I think I will just get it. I prefer the Nav features of my smartphone, but a modern car really should have these features. My DD Cayenne has the 2005 version of PCM and it is archaic, but the current version is quite good as far as factory systems go.
The current version will also seem totally archaic in just a few years...
Old 02-23-2015, 03:01 PM
Steve D
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Grant, MP3's? I am so disappointed...
Old 02-23-2015, 04:00 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve D
Grant, MP3's? I am so disappointed...
Don't think I can make my vinyl turntable and vacuum tube amps run on 12VDC
Old 02-23-2015, 04:22 PM
focal
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my F30 BMW also had stupid things like Porsche by paying for BT streaming and USB iPhone controls ($700 at the time).

I resigned myself to use Aux-input for music playback in the BMW. Not the end of the world as I hardwired power and line out of the iPhone through the lightening connector. I will not pay the Porsche Tax for tech and do the same for my GT4.

I am still debating about how crazy of a sound system I want to install with the money saved by not going with the PCM option.

Last edited by focal; 02-23-2015 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:28 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by focal
my F30 BMW also had stupid things like Porsche by paying for BT streaming and USB iPhone controls ($700 at the time).

I resigned myself to use Aux-input for music playback in the BMW. Not the end of the world as I hardwired power and line out of the iPhone through the lightening connector. I will not pay the Porsche Tax for archaic tech and do the same for my GT4.

I am still debating about how crazy of a sound system I want to install with the money saved by not going with the PCM option.
Does your screen name refer to the French speaker company?
Old 02-23-2015, 05:15 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
The current version will also seem totally archaic in just a few hours...
FIFY

I've ordered it on all my cars, the Porsche system is terrible by today's standards even for in vehicle systems. I got it on the GT3 because it was $500, but wouldn't pay the price for it in the GT4.

Quick Reply: PCM on GT4: Yea or nay?