Sponsored by: APR

First drive with the GT4 was impressive compared to my 997.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 03:53 AM
M3est
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First drive with the GT4 was impressive compared to my 997.2 GT3

Well yesterday was the day that i managed to drive my GT4 for the first time. I started from the dealer slowly so the oil temp would grow first and then push. This ride was crucial because i have to decide if i sell my 997.2 GT3 3,8 that i enjoyed so much the last 3-4 years and start having fun with the new toy.

ENGINE it feels so responsive with all gears , even with 6th . The car moves its weight so nice that you feel its the perfect combination .The idea was not to exceed 5000rpm in order to run in and i admit i enjoyed the drive so much . I didnt feel any lack of power compared to the GT3 . Of course when i can push to the rpm limit and the engine will rev more freely it will be even better.

GEARBOX is the best surprise for me . The shifter feels so precise that i caught myself shifting gears more than needed . The ratio was discussed that is long and needed to be shorter but i didnt feel there is a need to. The car shifts so great and the clutch is smoother than my GT3 that you could use this car more even with traffic and daily without second thought.

STEERING feeling is lighter than the GT3 and gives you the information from the road as much as you want to. Very nice position of the steering wheel and you feel they have done lots of work so you find everything done as it should be.

BRAKES have a strong and solid feeling on the pedal that it feels like the GT3. This is typical Porsche GT brakes and i am proud of having them also in the Cayman even they are not PCCB. I will sometime later paint them yellow to match with my Racing yellow car .

SUSPENSION - WHEELS was a big question for me because the GT3 with 19" was really hard and after long drive make me exhausted . Well the GT4 with 20" looks that is not that hard at all. The ride is very precise when you drive fast on the corners changing from left to right and on a long straight that i reached 200km/h it feels very stable and with downforce pushing the car down . It feels like you can make long trips and make more laps easy without loosing the sport feeling .

EXHAUST the level of noise is good but the deep GT3 sound is not here. The car screams also but in a different way. In the tunnels is exciting and people get thrilled when you push it but for me it needs a mod. Maybe an aftermarket system will give me this extra i need but for many others i think it will be fine.

SEATS i know many of you will hate me because i managed to get LWB seats but i dont blame you. I would be pissed of if i couldnt get them . But all i can say is a perfect looking seat with nice height adjustable position so i wouldnt ask for more. When i use it at a track day i can say more.

LOOK i know it is not a 911 but this Cayman is unique. The yellow under the sun is stunning. Guys it turns heads . Especially some boxter guys it happened to see me were looking with the mouth open. I wouldnt imagine few years ago that a Cayman will take my interest compared to a 911. I think i am in love with this small nasty GT4.

VERDICT i think i did the right choise. The main idea compared with the 997.2 GT3 is that even though it was the best car i ever had the GT4 can offer equal fun with less effort. It is easier car to drive and smoother for daily use but dont miss the sportiness at all. And bonus it drifts much easier than the 911 of course because mid engine setup and it brings the smile in your face. It is a genuine Porsche GT car.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:58 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

thanks for sharing...so u will sell me your used buckets next year so i can have them in my car, yes? hahaha
Old 06-09-2015, 04:13 AM
acey81
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for sharing, excellent comparison. I think that a lot of people going from a 911 to a Cayman GT4 will notice is just how much more accessible the performance is in the Cayman. The weight and mid engine configuration makes it so sweet. With PDK my GTS almost feels too easy, like the car is doing it all by itself. Especially after I put Cup 2 tires on. On most tracks I have no problems keeping up, or i most cases, passing 996 GT3 / 997 GT3s. Faster shifts and more accessible performance is the key. No doubt a professional driver will be able to extract more from a GT3, don't get me wrong. But you have to be very capable.

That is why I think the GT4 will be perfect. More power, manual gearbox for more involvement and GT3 hardware for setup changes and better stopping power. It will require a bit more from the driver, but still keep that awesome balance. I can't wait!
Old 06-09-2015, 04:16 AM
Yellowbyrd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your first driving impressions. As others have noted, they got this one right.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:11 AM
Ajjra
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is exactly the comparison I've been waiting for. Thank you for the detailed write up. I'm sure you will update us once you can pass 5,000rpm. How long is the break in period?

Can you elaborate on your impressions of the suspension and ride quality?

Also how is the noise level in the cabin with the windows up? Is it boomy?

Thanks and congratulations.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:26 AM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Default First drive with the GT4 was impressive compared to my 997.2 GT3

Excellent post
Old 06-09-2015, 10:36 AM
Dan993
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Quick drive last night

I think this is the best place to post my impressions from a quick drive late yesterday in a car that had just arrived at the dealership.

For perspective, my daily driver is a 991 TTS.

In no particular order:

Shifter - tight, precise, short, after the first couple of shifts I never gave it another thought. Just works. Perfectly.

Auto-blip on downshift - odd at first, but then very addicting, as the exhaust sound that accompanies the blip is, well, awesome.

Exhaust - Yes. In a tunnel, this thing sounds fantastic. Like a GT3 (I drove one last year) but a different tone, not as raw perhaps. From inside, not booming or droning, but this is not exactly a quiet place to be. Meets my expectations and more. I should think I will drive with the windows down most of the time! In tunnels. At night. I also was able to hear the car as the tech took it out and around for his test drive. Car was out of sight, but the exhaust was unmistakable. And brought a big smile to my face. Maybe a stupid grin is more like it....

Clutch - felt heavy at first, but that was forgotten in seconds and, along with the shifter, simply works. Reminded me a bit of the clutch in an RS4 I had many moons ago.

Ride - all good, in both modes. I drive my turbo in the stiffest setting and always have, so this is just fine with me. Very similar.

Steering - Felt exactly right. In fact, when I drove home , I was thinking on how easy the steering was on the turbo. GT4 feels 'tighter'. Hard to describe with only a short time behind the wheel.

Acceleration - I am so used to turbo power that I can't be fair here. Quick, as the numbers tell us. Gear ratios were fine; I didn't notice them, only got into 3rd. The sounds this thing makes will push all of us to hold the gears and keep the rpm in the higher ranges.

Handling - I know this is the big one, but only took one right turn at any kind of speed. Felt very much like the turbo in that scenario. I can't offer more at this point.

Didn't take any pics, but was able to inspect the underside of the car. Haven't seen any discussion of the brake ducting, but there are ducts front and rear to scoop and direct air to the brakes. Well done, simple. Also, the front spoiler lip will take a beating, like that on the 997. Watch for a 'sale price' on this and buy an extra or two. Simple to change, same as the 997 - couple of bolts, snaps in and out.

Side markers are orange. Swap these for the clears, of course.

My car is in production, ahead of schedule. Please hurry!
Old 06-09-2015, 11:10 AM
taylord
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M3est
I will sometime later paint them yellow to match with my Racing yellow car .
Please post pics when you can. I get my racing yellow GT4 in September!
Old 06-09-2015, 11:11 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Finally, non-media driving impressions!

I do have a few quick questions if you wouldn't mind. Sorry, I know these are all about mundane aspects of the car, but since I already know this car will be amazing when it comes to the fun stuff, how it handles "regular" tasks are the only open questions for me:

- How heavy is the clutch? I see your comment that it's smooth, but this was on my mind since I will be DDing it. I have an E92 M3, which I know has a much lighter than average clutch, but I'm also familiar with previous generations of M3s and the R8 V10 if you can compare it against any of those.

- Do you agree with reviews that the ride quality makes the car livable for regular drives even on rougher roads? Also, how is the cabin noise when you keep engine revs low and the loud exhaust button off? Is it reasonable for casual drives, or is there a constant engine/exhaust/tire drone that would get somewhat tiresome and make it difficult to have a conversation with someone else in the car?

- Did you encounter any ride height/approach angle issues while you were out driving, e.g. speed bumps that had to be approached diagonally, etc?

- If you got a chance to try the stereo, how is it?

And yes, I saw my first RY Cayman outside of the track yesterday coming at me on the freeway, and it absolutely does stand WAY out and turn heads. Great color. Thanks for the write-up!

EDIT: I see that some of these have been addressed by Dan993. I'd still be curious for the OP's take on these, however.

Last edited by jphughan; 06-09-2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:23 AM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Can the autoblipper be turned off to allow heal and toe?
Old 06-09-2015, 11:27 AM
Ajjra
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4forme
Yes. Technically it's something you turn 'on' via the Sport button.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:36 AM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes. Thanks for the review, M3est. The wait for mine (also Racing Yellow) is killing me.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:22 PM
thigos
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 204 Posts

Thanks for the impressions! Congrats on the new car, we are all jealous.

Post pics and more info please
Old 06-09-2015, 04:26 PM
csbear
Racer

Thanks for the great reviews! Yes, some pics would be nice!
Old 06-09-2015, 04:40 PM
M3est
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ajjra
This is exactly the comparison I've been waiting for. Thank you for the detailed write up. I'm sure you will update us once you can pass 5,000rpm. How long is the break in period?

Can you elaborate on your impressions of the suspension and ride quality?

Also how is the noise level in the cabin with the windows up? Is it boomy?

Thanks and congratulations.
I will drive it for 1000kms and then i will push it progressively to the redline.

Suspension and ride quality needs more driving but first impression was excellent.

Noise level in cabin was acceptable but i would prefer it more agressive.

Originally Posted by jphughan
Finally, non-media driving impressions!

I do have a few quick questions if you wouldn't mind. Sorry, I know these are all about mundane aspects of the car, but since I already know this car will be amazing when it comes to the fun stuff, how it handles "regular" tasks are the only open questions for me:

- How heavy is the clutch? I see your comment that it's smooth, but this was on my mind since I will be DDing it. I have an E92 M3, which I know has a much lighter than average clutch, but I'm also familiar with previous generations of M3s and the R8 V10 if you can compare it against any of those.

- Do you agree with reviews that the ride quality makes the car livable for regular drives even on rougher roads? Also, how is the cabin noise when you keep engine revs low and the loud exhaust button off? Is it reasonable for casual drives, or is there a constant engine/exhaust/tire drone that would get somewhat tiresome and make it difficult to have a conversation with someone else in the car?

- Did you encounter any ride height/approach angle issues while you were out driving, e.g. speed bumps that had to be approached diagonally, etc?

- If you got a chance to try the stereo, how is it?

And yes, I saw my first RY Cayman outside of the track yesterday coming at me on the freeway, and it absolutely does stand WAY out and turn heads. Great color. Thanks for the write-up!

EDIT: I see that some of these have been addressed by Dan993. I'd still be curious for the OP's take on these, however.
Clutch is equal to M3 E92 but much more softer than 997.2 GT3.

The car is sure more livable than 996 and 997 GT3 .I can say more when i live more with the car. Unfortunatelly due to bussines hard programm i will have the chance to drive it later on ,so for now all i can say is i am excited like a small boy.

Yes , it is active when you press sport button and deactivated when is off. I can say that i tryed both and i enjoyed it when it was active.
Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Yes. Thanks for the review, M3est. The wait for mine (also Racing Yellow) is killing me.
It is my first yellow car and i dont regret it. Remember what i tell you. When you see it outside the showroom under the sun you will not believe your eyes.

Quick Reply: First drive with the GT4 was impressive compared to my 997.2 GT3