Sponsored by: APR

GT4 Alignment Limits?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 12:04 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 944 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Not really since offset sits on a parallel. I don't think wheel width has anything to do here other than not hitting anything or sticking out - ignoring tire size requirements.
Yep - I mis spoke, I just did a little exercise and I don't see it impacting caster - the manifestation of the impact of caster yes, but not the caster measurement.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:33 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,328 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
Thanks both!

There are a few more motorsports-oriented shops around here that I'll call about this to see if they know how to do this and have shims on hand. I guess I should have done that in the first place, but they're all farther away and I just didn't think that I'd need anything extra to hit my alignment targets. If they don't have everything I'll need, then I'll definitely be pinging John @ BGB to get me sorted.
RSS shim set

Compare that to individual shim pricing.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:30 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

RSS shim set

Compare that to individual shim pricing.
Thanks! That's not bad at all, especially since one set might cover my alignment needs for all four corners. I'm going to drive the car on its current alignment for a while, but if understeer bothers me on track or eats up the outsides of my tires too quickly, I'll definitely go this route.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:40 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I doubt you'll need shims in the rear for what you are looking for. Be aware, at least on the gt3, the rear shims are a different shape than the front
Old 01-07-2016, 03:58 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,328 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I doubt you'll need shims in the rear for what you are looking for. Be aware, at least on the gt3, the rear shims are a different shape than the front
No need to worry. Its confirmed that shim shape is the same F & R on the GT4.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:08 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

No need to worry. Its confirmed that shim shape is the same F & R on the GT4.
Nice!
Old 01-08-2016, 08:03 PM
m3irish
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4carl
Wheel Offset has no effect on caster or camber. it only is a dimension between a centerline of the wheel and the mounting surface. It either pushes the wheel out or pulls it in. Carl
If you go to a lower offset wheel the caster is the same, however the outer edge of the tire will reach out further forward when turning the wheel. I believe this is what Shake was trying to get at.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:16 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,097 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by m3irish
If you go to a lower offset wheel the caster is the same, however the outer edge of the tire will reach out further forward when turning the wheel. I believe this is what Shake was trying to get at.
Changing offset can cause a wheel to rub but it doesn't change the alignment geometry . carl
Old 01-08-2016, 10:27 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 944 Likes on 547 Posts

Changing offset can cause a wheel to rub but it doesn't change the alignment geometry . carl
Depends what you call Geometry...

Scrub Radius is affected, position of the tire in the wheel well is affected....
Old 01-09-2016, 01:32 AM
m3irish
Racer

Did I stutter? 😜
Old 01-09-2016, 02:00 AM
4carl
Race Car

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Depends what you call Geometry...

Scrub Radius is affected, position of the tire in the wheel well is affected....
True changing the front track does change the scrub radius but it really doesn't affect caster/ camber or toe. I guess it comes down to the definition . Carl
Old 01-09-2016, 02:01 AM
4carl
Race Car

Originally Posted by m3irish
Did I stutter? 😜
Sorry...carl
Old 05-27-2016, 03:43 PM
Yomi
Instructor

Necroposting...

Originally Posted by jphughan
OEM specs from the manual
Front camber: -1.5" +/- .05"
Front toe-in (total): +2' +/- 2'
Rear camber: -1.5" +/- .08"
Rear toe (per wheel): +10' +/- 2'
My owner's manual page 224 is consistent with images I can find on other threads. It shows:

OEM specs from the manual[/B]
Front camber: -1° 30' +/- 3'
Rear camber: -1° 30'+/- 5'
Rear toe (per wheel): +10' +/- 2'[/B]

How did you do the degrees to inches conversion?

It seems my GT4 is limited to -1.3 deg front, -1.2 deg rear before toe limits. I'm really surprised the max limits are reached at the factory settings, and especially that the limits for camber are so low on a track-oriented car.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:34 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Yomi
Necroposting...

My owner's manual page 224 is consistent with images I can find on other threads. It shows:

OEM specs from the manual
Front camber: -1° 30' +/- 3'
Rear camber: -1° 30'+/- 5'
Rear toe (per wheel): +10' +/- 2'

How did you do the degrees to inches conversion?

It seems my GT4 is limited to -1.3 deg front, -1.2 deg rear before toe limits. I'm really surprised the max limits are reached at the factory settings, and especially that the limits for camber are so low on a track-oriented car.
Those aren't inches; camber is never expressed in inches to my knowledge, although I suppose it could be if you really wanted to. I just couldn't be bothered to find the degree circle that you did, so I used " for degrees (yes, I know that's technically seconds) and the correct ' for minutes. I did however convert from degrees and minutes to degrees with decimal since that's what you typically see on an alignment rack and how people tend to discuss their setups anyway -- 60 minutes in a degree, so 30 minutes is 0.5 degrees. Toe on the other hand CAN be expressed in inches, for which there is a conversion if you know your tire specs and some trigonometry (or have a website do it for you), but expressing toe in minutes is generally preferred because it doesn't depend on the tires you're running, whereas if you have a toe target expressed in inches, you'd have to take the tires you're running into account.

Your GT4's alignment limits are the lowest I've seen yet, though. Is your ride height maybe maxed out?

Last edited by jphughan; 05-27-2016 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:46 AM
sgreer78
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 303 Posts

So I’m pretty irritated. I can only get -1.2° on the left rear of my GT4 with stock parts while keeping 1/16” toe-in per side. I cannot add the toe arms due to rules of parking lot racing. Left can get all I need and more, but that does me no good. Ride heights are set to the publicized “lowest Porsche recommended”. I could lower, however much like my e92 m3’s rod bearings, the strut tower issues make me hesitant to go beyond those numbers. Nothing looks off underneath, subframe looks centered, etc. is this just quirky car crap that makes no sense or....

Any tricks here to get to at least the OE spec of -1.5°?

Thanks for any help!

Quick Reply: GT4 Alignment Limits?