Sponsored by: APR

PDK vs Manual

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 09:49 PM
jonathangt4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PDK vs Manual

There's been a lot of speculation going around about PDK option for the GT4 future builds. If this is a go , what would you opt for? PDK or a manual? I have an allocation set for around this time next year... I'd love to drive a manual but if PDK means better performance than i may just opt for that..
Old 08-31-2015, 09:51 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 942 Likes on 546 Posts

One of the main reasons I'm even buying a GT4 is that it's a manual. If it were PDK only, I'd be looking at a 350R. I'd get a GT3 if I wanted an auto.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:51 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 895 Likes on 338 Posts

If they offer it and I can get an allocation, I would sell mine. I love the involvement of the manual but I'd kill for this car as the best dual purpose DD/track ***** ever made for around 100k.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:00 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
If they offer it and I can get an allocation, I would sell mine. I love the involvement of the manual but I'd kill for this car as the best dual purpose DD/track ***** ever made for around 100k.
I plan to DD mine at least initially, but between the low ride height, long overhang, and OEM tire choice, I think this is far more track-biased than DD biased. I agree that if the price point is kept narrowly around $100K it might be the best contender (although the Boxster Spyder would give it a major run for its money), but if you look at lower price points, other cars like the Cayman GTS, GT350, and M3/4 I think make a much better DD proposition while still retaining track chops. I guess it just depends which one you want more of, and considering I'm moving from an E9x M3 to a GT4, I guess I've answered that question for myself. Way back when, Motor Trend called the 2009 M3 Sedan the best all-around car ever made partly because it struck the balance you describe so well and so much better than anything else at the time.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:12 PM
mm1
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

As much as I like PDK, after 2 weeks of having the manual it's the best drivers car there is (imo).

I'd MAYBE "upgrade" to PDK if some other options were also added in the PDK version. I'm slightly biased for my wife to be able to drive the car too. I also was stuck in traffic for 20 minutes and I forgot how much that sucks with manual.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:24 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PDK will likely be an option priced over $5,000 with the sport chrono package. I would probably opt for the manual, which is soooo...nice! I would only buy the PDK for different reasons than most--to left foot brake and enable my wife to drive the car.

Originally Posted by jphughan
I plan to DD mine at least initially, but between the low ride height, long overhang, and OEM tire choice, I think this is far more track-biased than DD biased. I agree that if the price point is kept narrowly around $100K it might be the best contender (although the Boxster Spyder would give it a major run for its money), but if you look at lower price points, other cars like the Cayman GTS, GT350, and M3/4 I think make a much better DD proposition while still retaining track chops. I guess it just depends which one you want more of, and considering I'm moving from an E9x M3 to a GT4, I guess I've answered that question for myself. Way back when, Motor Trend called the 2009 M3 Sedan the best all-around car ever made partly because it struck the balance you describe so well and so much better than anything else at the time.
You are going to be pleasantly surprised how mild mannered this car is for DD use. Ingress and egress is easy. Suspension is not jarring but actually comfortable and firm. Exhaust is perfect. The biggest issue is overhang/scraping which is very similar to my CR.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:30 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by fishing
Ingress and egress is easy. Suspension is not jarring but actually comfortable and firm. Exhaust is perfect. The biggest issue is overhang/scraping which is very similar to my CR.
What seats do you have?
Old 08-31-2015, 10:41 PM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jonathangt4
There's been a lot of speculation going around about PDK option for the GT4 future builds. If this is a go , what would you opt for? PDK or a manual? I have an allocation set for around this time next year... I'd love to drive a manual but if PDK means better performance than i may just opt for that..
Have you driven a GT4 yet?
Old 08-31-2015, 10:53 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
What seats do you have?
My car has the 18 ways.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:59 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 86 Posts

Manual all the way. That's the reason I got rid of my GTR.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:06 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm bored when I drive an automatic. Any automatic. It's OK when I'm driving my 7 series, but truth be told, I'd take that in a MT too if they made it.
I missed the opportunity to buy a GT3 or turbo in a real manual, so the second this was announced I started making calls.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:08 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought the whole point about the GT4 concept was about maximum involvement and emotion vs. technology and pure lap times (GT3). After making one of the most enthusiast-pleasing moves in a long time, could the GT department really slip up again that quickly? Probably, but I hope not.

There are a million other ways to get into a PDK sports car in the Porsche world... (In fact with every other model they make). Can't there be one single manual-only Porsche left in the world?
Old 08-31-2015, 11:22 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope they don't sell it with a PDK. That'll dilute what the GT4 stands for. But who am I kidding...even the new Z06 comes in an auto and sells like hotcakes...
Old 08-31-2015, 11:42 PM
mm1
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Accel Junky
I hope they don't sell it with a PDK. That'll dilute what the GT4 stands for. But who am I kidding...even the new Z06 comes in an auto and sells like hotcakes...
Totally agree. I think the GT4 should stay manual and if they made a GT4RS then go with the fastest option for pure track applications. MSRP of say 115k with Sport Chrono, LWBs, and a few interesting color options all included (what am I smoking now).
Old 08-31-2015, 11:43 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Accel Junky
This. If a PDK GT4 were created, I would have to seriously reconsider the value in getting my intended vanity plate "LOL PDK".

Quick Reply: PDK vs Manual