Sponsored by: APR

Wing support lifting off of trunk lid

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 02:27 AM
hccyong
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wing support lifting off of trunk lid

I think I saw a post about this somewhere, but I can't find it now (maybe it was in an unrelated thread)....

The left wing support is lifting off of the trunk lid slightly on the left side such that I can see what looks like foam underneath. Has anyone tried to address this themselves? It's not clear to me without taking it apart what the issue is. Is it an adhesive issue, loose fasteners or just a bad fit to the curvature of the trunk lid? I'd ask the dealer to take care of it if I had something more major to bring it in for. But if it's an easy fix, I wouldn't mind doing it myself, so I'm curious what others have done. Thanks.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:00 AM
Dan993
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I reported this about a month ago. I have not been successful at simply pushing it down as others reported. I tried wedging a credit card or two to hold the trim piece down overnight against the tape, but after a while, it popped back up. It is held on with two sided foam tape. Think only fix is dealer or getting the tape from dealer and DIY. Odd that only left side issue has been reported. Right side is fine.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:15 AM
HamiltonGT4
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Picture

Hi could you please post some pictures so we can see what it looks like?
Thanks
Old 09-03-2015, 08:34 AM
mm1
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

I can report the same thing. Since everything is black it all blends in and is not noticeable but I'll ask the dealer to look at when I'm there at some point.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:38 AM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,097 Likes on 577 Posts

Mine are not down that tight either. Probably you could just use some double-sided tape and save the dealer drama. looks like a design flaw. carl
Old 09-03-2015, 10:20 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 943 Likes on 546 Posts

I saw a couple GT4s at COTA with black uprights and the trim piece on the drivers side looked like it was hanging on by a thread. The shape of the piece does not look to be the same shape as the body surface it is supposed to mate with - not to mention it's plastic!!! WTF??
Old 09-03-2015, 10:26 AM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

Mine were coming up even before delivery. My dealer contacted Porsche, and were told that those pieces needed to be replaced. So, the dealer has had them on order for the past two weeks, but still no idea when they will come in. Also, installing them will require R&R'ing the wing -- not very happy with that idea. I may just try using some 3M trim tape, and see how it goes.

I agree that it looks like a design flaw. Those pieces are definitely not shaped to match the curve of the decklid; now that mine have come up on both sides, they actually look like they were made with flat bottoms. Maybe Porsche thought they would form-to-fit over time, but it's not working out.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:41 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Why would this only affect the driver's side? Assuming that both sides use identical trim pieces and the hatch itself is symmetrical along a longitudinal axis, then why would an improperly shaped trim piece only cause a problem on one side? As for replacing the part, I wonder if there's actually a revised part or if Porsche is just providing a replacement identical part thinking that the existing example must have been defective as opposed to a bad design.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:45 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 943 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
Why would this only affect the driver's side? Assuming that both sides use identical trim pieces and the hatch itself is symmetrical along a longitudinal axis, then why would an improperly shaped trim piece only cause a problem on one side? As for replacing the part, I wonder if there's actually a revised part or if Porsche is just providing a replacement identical part thinking that the existing example must have been defective as opposed to a bad design.
It's held on with tape....unless they have a completely new design - i.e. different shape, then it will probably do the same thing again.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:49 AM
csbear
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has not come off...yet. However, I would be worried about water collecting underneath if it did. Is there proper drainage to prevent rust, etc?
Old 09-03-2015, 11:25 PM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

I decided to take a closer look at those fillet trim pieces, earlier this evening. They are held down by double-sided tape, as previously discussed. However, the pieces actually do match the curve of the trunklid pretty closely. So, the reason they keep coming up is not because of how they are shaped.

It turns out that there is a rubber seal underneath each fillet piece, and it's the seal that is causing the fillets to come up. The seal is a fairly tall ring around the base of the wing support, and looks like its made out of EPDM foam. This seal sits on the base of the wing support and presses up against the inside of the fillet. Depending on how the wing supports are installed, there may not be enough room under the fillet for the seal, and the seal pushes up on the fillet, eventually overcoming the double-sided tape.

BTW, it certainly felt like those fillet pieces are actually cast aluminum, like the wing supports, and not plastic as previously surmised. They feel and sound like painted metal and not plastic. So, maybe not quite as "cheap" as we had thought.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:05 AM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,097 Likes on 577 Posts

Here's the support.carl
Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2015, 11:31 AM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 4carl
Here's the support.carl