Sponsored by: APR

Xpel Headlight delamination issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 07:47 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Xpel Headlight delamination issue

When I checked on my car yesterday and the status of the Xpel paint protection process the installation guy told me he received a bulletin about potential delamnnation of the headlights when Xpel is removed.

He didn't seem too clear on what that meant exactly, he suggested that maybe when it came time to remove the Xpel the headlight may delaminate. Not even sure how, why, and what is laminated on the headlight in the first place.

In any event I just had him not cover the headlights for now. If I track it I'll just tape them up. If the issues is ever clarified I'll just take it back and get it done later.

Anyone else heard of this?
Old 09-19-2015, 07:52 PM
ZG911
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For what it's worth: A local Xpel dealer (I am currently shopping for a good one in my area, this particular dealer not only was wrapping a brand new GT3RS, but also a 918) said that they won't Xpel 911's headlights but will do it safely on the GT4.
I know this discussion has taken place on the 911 forums. I would love a clear answer on this also.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:13 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently sold my 2005 Boxster with Xpel on the headlights for 10 years and they still looked brand spanking new, after 10 years and 60,000 miles.
I really despise the look of pitted, yellowed, faded, chipped headlights so I plan on getting the Xpel on my GT4 headlights and rolling the dice.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:18 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There are several threads about this here and in the GT3 section. The short version is that not only is there a risk of delamination at removal time, there's a risk of damage during application since sometimes the film has to be pulled up and reapplied. A few installers have stopped agreeing to do headlamps on 991s and 981s after having to purchase replacement headlamps for customers.

Porsche's manual also warns specifically against installing film on the headlamps, fwiw, citing the UV coating and heat buildup as issues, so not only are you at risk of losing warranty coverage on your headlamps if you apply it, you may CAUSE a problem by installing it. I'm bummed because I despise pitted, yellowed headlamps, plus I'll be tracking my GT4, but I'm not sure I want to deal with this risk either.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:19 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ZG911
For what it's worth: A local Xpel dealer (I am currently shopping for a good one in my area, this particular dealer not only was wrapping a brand new GT3RS, but also a 918) said that they won't Xpel 911's headlights but will do it safely on the GT4.
I know this discussion has taken place on the 911 forums. I would love a clear answer on this also.
Not sure why they'll do 981s if they won't do 991s. The headlamps of both have the UV coating and the owner's manual for both contains the same warning.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:21 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jphughan
There are several threads about this here and in the GT3 section. The short version is that not only is there a risk of delamination at removal time, there's a risk of damage during application since sometimes the film has to be pulled up and reapplied. A few installers have stopped agreeing to do headlamps on 991s and 981s after having to purchase replacement headlamps for customers.

Porsche's manual also warns specifically against installing film on the headlamps, fwiw, citing the UV coating and heat buildup as issues, so not only are you at risk of losing warranty coverage on your headlamps if you apply it, you may CAUSE a problem by installing it.
Thank you. Sorry I had not seen the other threads. I should have searched first I guess.

In any event I am glad I had him hold off. My car is going to spend the vast majority of the time in a garage and covered so yellowing is probably not going to be a big concern for me anyway. My only concern is damage when I track it but that's what tape is for.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:28 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,097 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by gmaki
When I checked on my car yesterday and the status of the Xpel paint protection process the installation guy told me he received a bulletin about potential delamnnation of the headlights when Xpel is removed.

He didn't seem too clear on what that meant exactly, he suggested that maybe when it came time to remove the Xpel the headlight may delaminate. Not even sure how, why, and what is laminated on the headlight in the first place.

In any event I just had him not cover the headlights for now. If I track it I'll just tape them up. If the issues is ever clarified I'll just take it back and get it done later.

Anyone else heard of this?
i can tell you first hand what happens. On my first 981CS i had the lights done. later i noticed that the film(XPEL) was coming up on an edge.

So i decided to remove it. When i did the thin plastic coating on one of the lights pealed off the edge. So i call the dealer to price a new light $6,025--no BS for the PDLS plus, thats each!

So i took my Rupes 21 and some Mez 4500, polished and feathered the edge. Traded to the dealer . You really had to look hard but it was there. No film on my 15CS or GT4 lights . learned my lesson . carl
Old 09-19-2015, 09:17 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,491 Likes on 2,272 Posts

997/987 ok
991/981 do not cover light. it delaminates. at least my did
Old 09-19-2015, 10:30 PM
Tass
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

All roads where I live are covered in rocks/stones from winter and it doesn't get much better in summer, just today I was following a large truck and had to hang way back to stop stones from hitting my car. My Xpel installer explained it this way: if you don't Xpel the headlights you will have to refinish/polish them in a few years due to rock chips. If you cover do them with Xpel, all is fine but when you remove it in future it may delaminate, it's easier/cheaper to polish and refinish delaminated headlights vs rock chipped headlights

I decided to have mine covered in Xpel, I'm in Northern Canada, YMMV
Old 09-19-2015, 10:42 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

don't cover and if you do dont remove
Old 09-19-2015, 11:10 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,882 Likes on 4,815 Posts

Cover them.

And when do, find a good installer.

They delaminate when you remove the film.

Why would you remove the film but for the fact that the installer goofed.* The first time.

Do it once, do it right.

(*The other time you may have to remove the film if there is significant damage. But if the damage was severe enough to penetrate the film, and defeat the self-healing properties, then it would have done even worse to the headlight unit, which meant the least of your worries would've been delamination. As you'll be trying to find the funds to buy a new headlight.)
Old 09-19-2015, 11:50 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My expel installer owns a Cayman GTS that he did a full wrap on, except for the headlamps. He learned the hard way about the delamination issues. He will not cover my GT4 headlights with film.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:50 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,815 Likes on 2,174 Posts

My installer also did not do my headlights on my GT4.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:56 AM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

I did not do mine. By the way now that mine is done I can't really even see the wrap. AutoSkinz did a fantastic job. Every edge is tucked. I haven't found a line anywhere. Honestly I can't really tell what is covered and what isn't. I guess that is an advantage of being 49 with failing eyesight! lol

If you happen to live near Santa Clarita I highly recommend these guys.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:27 AM
ZG911
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gmaki
I did not do mine. By the way now that mine is done I can't really even see the wrap. AutoSkinz did a fantastic job. Every edge is tucked. I haven't found a line anywhere. Honestly I can't really tell what is covered and what isn't. I guess that is an advantage of being 49 with failing eyesight! lol

If you happen to live near Santa Clarita I highly recommend these guys.
What sections of your car did you have covered, how much $, and how long did it take?

I'll need coverage soon and looking for a great installer. The last installer I visited did not tuck all of the sections and some where off by my nearly a 1/8-1/4inch. And they had the highest estimate.

Quick Reply: Xpel Headlight delamination issue