Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Just got allocation. Should I trade my GTS for GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 12:38 AM
Evo X
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Just got allocation. Should I trade my GTS for GT4?

Hey guys, current GTS owner here trying to get some feedback. I bought it at the beginning of June after hearing that my dealer wasn't able to secure a GT4 for me even though I immediately put a deposit down back in February when the car was announced. Absolutely love it and enjoyed the hell out of it this summer, but a small part in the back of my mind always wondered "what if" in regards to the GT4.

Well, out of nowhere I get a call from my SA telling me that he can get me a GT4 spring of next year. Now I'm wondering if it is worth getting as I will probably get hosed on the trade in on a barely used car. I know the GT4 has superior engine, suspension, and steering, but I'm not sure how livable it is as a daily compared to my current car. I test drove a 991 GT3 with LWBS and it felt very aggressive and raw. A total track weapon.

The GT4 will be used mostly for street driving with the occasional HPDE.

I only have a couple of days to let them know if I want the car before it goes to the next person down the line.

Also, I live in the Northshore Chicago suburbs and was wondering if there are any GT4 owners nearby who would let me see their car in person and maybe give me a short ride. I'd love to chat with someone regarding their ownership experience, especially if they jumped from a GTS like I am considering. The weather is supposed to be really nice this upcoming Sunday-Wednesday. Around 70F.

Post here or PM me if you're willing to help. Thanks.

Here's a pic of my GTS. Carmine Red with X73, PTV, PDK, and pretty much all the tech options. Only 4K miles on it.

Name:  02dsRIc.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  957.5 KB

Last edited by Evo X; 10-31-2015 at 01:47 AM.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:35 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Really just a money question. If the swap is financially acceptable, go for it.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:42 AM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 99 Posts

I think the GT4 is surprisingly livable but if you have really bad roads, then it can feel a bit stiff. But not at all bad. You can make the car quiet when you want and loud when you want. The stereo isn't as good as the optional stereos in non-GT models, but serviceable. I feel very comfortable on long journeys. It does not provide BMW levels of daily driver usability, but for me it's great.

The thing that concerns me from your post is that you felt the GT3 was very aggressive and raw. You can temper this somewhat by selecting standard seats rather than the buckets. But apart from the seats, if you feel like the GT3 was too raw for daily use, GT4 won't be any better. Maybe even worse because of no front lift and manual only.

On the other hand, your car has X73, so I think you will be okay on the ride aspect on decent roads. Clutch on the GT4 is fine, so just imagine a manual GT3 and whether you could live with that.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:43 AM
doborder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm doing it
Financially ~ probably not the best
But GT4
Old 10-31-2015, 01:44 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,807 Likes on 2,169 Posts

YES!!!
Old 10-31-2015, 01:48 AM
soupy
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't regret the switch at all, but are you willing to give up PDK and go back to 3 pedals and a lever? I went from a 6spd GTS on PASM to this and the difference was pretty significant. It seems like you're more concerned about the street driving experience and tolerance and I'd quickly say there's nothing to worry about.

The ride handling with SPASM is absolutely perfect imo and you won't miss much from your X73. It might actually be more comfortable in most conditions. The lowered height is manageable and you will inevitably scrape it within your first week, but if you've survived minimal scraping with the X73 then you can deal with the GT4's front lip just fine. The cabin noise seems like the same at first, but I've noticed needing to speak louder with passengers and getting hearing fatigue more easily especially when the roads are not well paved. The subtle gear whine is definitely there and you'll hear more rocks and pebbles rattling about in your wheel well. Exhaust noise is just a tiny bit louder and without the artificial sound symposer pops and bangs everywhere; much more raw sounding. The OEM tires are also going to be a concern in Chicago winters as Michelin warns that cracking can occur in sub-freezing temperatures and they're pretty squirrely in the rain. The sport design side mirrors are slightly smaller in terms of the mirror element and I hope you're not reliant on any parking sensors or cameras.

I treated my upgrade as my "second chance" with the configurator and I corrected alot of things I should've gotten before such as 2-zone climate control and PCM for the USB slot. When I pulled out of the dealership initially, it felt like I never sold my car in the first place, but then I hit some of my favorite roads and couldn't believe how different the car was for just $13k more in base MSRP. Financially it's probably silly and dumb, but who knows, it's one of the few cars where it might actually pay itself in the cost difference and GTS resale loss if you keep it for a few years and it sells at a much, much higher residual.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:59 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,845 Likes on 4,800 Posts

In your situation?

No.
Old 10-31-2015, 02:19 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,226 Likes on 2,725 Posts

I wouldn't do it. Too much overlap.
Old 10-31-2015, 02:20 AM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 104 Posts

Could I have your allocation? The GTS is the obvious choice! Keep it and enjoy!

;-)
Old 10-31-2015, 03:11 AM
user1029
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 268 Posts

Be a man and do it
Old 10-31-2015, 03:42 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 901 Likes on 340 Posts

Money no object, yes. If you don't mind taking it in the shorts on your GTS (and you will), go for it.

Is it a better car for your purposes? Incrementally yes.
Is it livable, as a DD? Most definitely yes.
In your situation, I would steer clear of the buckets. Thing is, if you order now, Porsche has already made that decision for you (no buckets available).
Old 10-31-2015, 03:45 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Go for it. And please order it with buckets then sell them to me I will trade you some nice sofas.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:00 AM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 617 Likes on 273 Posts

I drove the GTS on two occasions and considered one before I got my GT4 allocation. Based on what you said , I wouldn't trade your GTS for a GT4. You have a great car in a fantastic color! My .02.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:06 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

The problem with the gts is that the gt4 exists. If that bugs you you will never get it out of your system.

The only other key point is Pdk vs manual. You opted for Pdk over a
manual for the gts, are you going to be happy with a manual in your gt4? If you don't really favour rowing your own gears then it's an easy choice.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:17 AM
masti99
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

Go for it if finance is no issue...

Quick Reply: Just got allocation. Should I trade my GTS for GT4?