GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT4's at Zone 2 VIR this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 11:08 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,860 Likes on 2,218 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
I wish I could have made it this weekend. Looks like fun.
For reference I was running 2:06-2:07s in October on the PS2s with a couple of 2:05s in there also. That was before I had harnesses 😁. I now have harnesses and I just got a set of R7s and hope to try them there at VIR soon. Maybe will go in April to a David Murry event if I can make it. I am hoping for 2:02s. The car is very capable for sure. I bet it could do 2:03s on PS2s in the hands of a pro. And maybe sub 2 with Hoosiers??
I am by no means the fastest guy out there so if I was running 2:05-2:07 on PS2s there must have been traffic this weekend - especially if only one guy on R7s was below 2:09-2:10.
2:05 to 2:07 at VIR in a GT4 in stock form is very fast. I'm not sure that even a pro could get to 2:03.

I've never been to this Zone 2 event because I hear that there are over 200 cars and the run groups aren't well vetted, with lots of people held up due to lack of point-bys. I recommend Chin events at VIR (and every other track they go to) - number of cars is less and Chin makes sure that traffic flows well, especially in Red. Quite common to be out there with pros when running in Chin Red.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:24 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Beanster
The yellow GT4 with the Hoosiers running in Red could be doing 2:09 or better but the three white GT4's in Black are certainly not. I'm averaging 2:11's and a theoretical best lap at 2:10.15 and I'm regularly passing GT4's.

But that is nothing to say of the GT4 car itself; the greatest performance variable is the driver. I don't want to sound boastful though. I dropped out of Red after getting my *** handed to me by the yellow GT4. Heard him referred to as "Mr. Angry Pants" by a group of possibly jealous drivers because he seems a bit impatient on track. He rode my tail for half a lap while I waited for a point by from a Cayman driver.

Hey Pete... how about a couple of shots of that sexy pig GT Silver 997 Turbo in the Black run group? I'm sure that guy would love a shot of his car.
I was in red we were definite sub 2:09 the yellow car and i were together i was on street tires and stock pads
Old 03-20-2016, 05:25 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
The Hoosier R7 has much more grip than the Cup 2. At VIR Full, I'm thinking it's worth about 3 or 4 seconds.
we were definite under 2:09
Old 03-20-2016, 05:26 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

For reference I was running 2:06-2:07s in October on the PS2s with a couple of 2:05s in there also. That was before I had harnesses 😁. I now have harnesses and I just got a set of R7s and hope to try them there at VIR soon. Maybe will go in April to a David Murry event if I can make it. I am hoping for 2:02s. The car is very capable for sure. I bet it could do 2:03s on PS2s in the hands of a pro. And maybe sub 2 with Hoosiers??
I am by no means the fastest guy out there so if I was running 2:05-2:07 on PS2s there must have been traffic this weekend - especially if only one guy on R7s was below 2:09-2:10.
... agreed on PS2
Old 03-20-2016, 05:38 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a fair number of days at VIR. I would expect a GT4 in the hands of an experienced driver with some minor suspension tweaks, race pads and fluid, and R compound tires to run 2:02's or 2:03's there fairly effortlessly. A pro driver should be under 2:00. On street tires, it would be closer to 2:05's. The lap record there in a 987 in GTB1 is under 2:00. That said, even doing 2:10's in a GT4 set up for the street is not slow!
Old 03-20-2016, 07:18 PM
Drjimh
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Pete, Thanks for the great photo's.
Here is my first impression on the car. I was running a total stock set up, stock pads, fluid, and Dunlops on 20' Oz wheels. Stock alignment. It took me a few sessions to figure out the tire pressures that I liked (34 front 32 rear). The understeer was definitely noticeable but manageable. I was able to put car almost anywhere on the track with worrying about grip. Steering feel and feed back were very good. I got some tail waggle into turn one under hard braking. The car was a total joy to drive right out of the box. I agree with most others that adjusting the suspension to reduce the understeer will make the car better. The guy in the yellow car in the red group had I believe -2.75 front and -2.25 rear. I forget his toe numbers . He also had change toe links and was running 19' hoosiers. He was very happy with the car, but was also noticing the tail waggle.
I only timed a few laps, and was running 2:17's. I was consistently averaging 120 through the esses,very stable. Saturday afternoon there was a 15mph cross wind on the back straight and you could feel the wing unweight the car in the dip. Would have been good try changing the wing angle and taking out the front inserts.
I will be doing an event at Pocono in 5 weeks, keeping stock there, and then will start to play with the suspension. Looking forward to hearing more as the East Coast guys get on the track.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:30 PM
DrPhil Gandini
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Really nice photographs Pete! You're letting that new 200-500 strut its stuff. A friend just got the same lens, and is really happy with it.
Looks like you had great access to the track--one of the benefits of smaller club-type events.

Keep it up!
Old 03-20-2016, 09:29 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
I have a fair number of days at VIR. I would expect a GT4 in the hands of an experienced driver with some minor suspension tweaks, race pads and fluid, and R compound tires to run 2:02's or 2:03's there fairly effortlessly. A pro driver should be under 2:00. On street tires, it would be closer to 2:05's. The lap record there in a 987 in GTB1 is under 2:00. That said, even doing 2:10's in a GT4 set up for the street is not slow!
agreed ... i have had more couple days there in many different cars!
Old 03-20-2016, 09:44 PM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Default BS

Matt drives faster than most people you will ever meet at the track. So if your good.Get your best time and then drop it 1-2 seconds and you will have Matts. That being said I think his times are spot on for what this car should run......
Old 03-20-2016, 10:33 PM
Errsomeone
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Drjimh
Saturday afternoon there was a 15mph cross wind on the back straight and you could feel the wing unweight the car in the dip. Would have been good try changing the wing angle and taking out the front inserts.
Interesting, I was running the full areo (front inserts removed) and I was getting so much disturbance from the wind that I started capping my speeds through that section.

Today was much more stable... It could be the alignment I am playing with or even more likely my slow learning approach to getting to know the car. However, I do not think the front inserts removed was doing me any favors, actually tend to think the opposite. But it is another thing to learn about.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:16 PM
Drjimh
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I did not run today. Long drive left early due to cold and wet. What did you notice as the difference? Any wind today? The guys I was with also noticed it. One in a GTR and the other had a Cayman S with a bigger wing.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:32 AM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

If Matt is the guy in the yellow GT4 with Hoosiers, then he almost killed me today during the second run. I was shaken up enough to call it quits at that point. We packed up and left immediately thereafter. Freagin' morons from Z2 made a verkakte decision to put the red maniacs in with black and f'ing ruined the day.
I'm sorry to learn about this. What a terrible way to end a weekend.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:11 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 83 Posts

If Matt is the guy in the yellow GT4 with Hoosiers, then he almost killed me today during the second run. I was shaken up enough to call it quits at that point. We packed up and left immediately thereafter. Freagin' morons from Z2 made a verkakte decision to put the red maniacs in with black and f'ing ruined the day.
I wasn't even there so it wasn't me. And my GT4 is white anyway.

Last edited by GT3 Nut; 03-21-2016 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:08 AM
zmon
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 78 Posts

I cant speak for the car in Red, but I was faster in my GTS2 prepared (209WHP) E36 than all of the GT4s in black.. running low 12s with traffic...

this is not saying they (GT4 black group drivers) were slow, but that that was the pace they were comfortable running at...
Old 03-21-2016, 11:18 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

No I am Matt I was in the Gray/ Black ! one i am on track is safe an courteous.. I've been running for 16 yrs I would dare to say no one could say I was a unsafe or pulled unsafe moves. I get it just De's no trophy's

Quick Reply: GT4's at Zone 2 VIR this weekend